JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Happy Valentine's Day 2024 (Instagram Post) (1).png

Be sure the cartridges you take match the rifle's chambering.

Don't laugh, I've read many times about someone finding they brought the wrong cartridges. Too much hurry, unlabeled/mislabeled aftermarket cartridge boxes, etc.

Bruce

My uncle always said that you'll see more deer behind you than deer in front of you.
Very true. Unless they are hard spooked... they tend to just move out of your way, circle you, then watch your back as you walk on through.

Like valentine's.... know your prey! :D

Spend time scouting the area you want to hunt in.....
And not just from your truck / jeep / whatever....get out and walk the land.

Carry your rifle / bow as well...and take some practice "Hunting shots"....
As in shots you will have to take when hunting....in poor light ...off hand....after toting your rifle or bow all day...etc....

Read about / learn about the animal you are wanting to hunt...go out an observe the animal....
I ain't talkin' 'bout watching some dumbazz You Tube Hunting Fool Channel...
I mean reading actual scientific books about the land you hunt and game you hunt...as well as spending time off season getting out and into the area you hunt in.
Andy

Spend time scouting the area you want to hunt in.....
And not just from your truck / jeep / whatever....get out and walk the land.

Carry your rifle / bow as well...and take some practice "Hunting shots"....
As in shots you will have to take when hunting....in poor light ...off hand....after toting your rifle or bow all day...etc....

Read about / learn about the animal you are wanting to hunt...go out an observe the animal....
I ain't talkin' 'bout watching some dumbazz You Tube Hunting Fool Channel...
I mean reading actual scientific books about the land you hunt and game you hunt...as well as spending time off season getting out and into the area you hunt in.
Andy
Things that have helped me:
While out there, learn how to read, identify and age scat.
Know animal tracks and how to age them.
Learn to identify animal food sources.
If you stalk, train yourself to move silently.
Edit to add - one thing that has surprised me is the year on year predatory effects on herds, elk and deer. One year in an area, the deer are abundant. The next, nowhere to be seen.

When ur following someone through bushes, point the gun backwards (assuming no one is behind you) so if bushes snag the safety and trigger and goes off it won't hurt anybody. Should be common sense, but also more than one guy has been killed sliding a gun out of the truck or from behind the seat with the barrel facing them (same issue - snagging trigger ).

Edit to add - one thing that has surprised me is the year on year predatory effects on herds, elk and deer. One year in an area, the deer are abundant. The next, nowhere to be seen.
Not that predatory effects aren't present, and have a greater impact in some units more than others, but that phenomenon isn't new and I think has to do more with the wonky weather patterns the past several years not pushing them in more normal migrations patterns to and from their winter and summer grounds. With such a short hunting season window it's easy to miss the herds that may happen to be a couple weeks "behind or ahead of schedule" into certain units.

When choosing a hunting ground it's good to pick places with varied topography. Allowing you to hunt at the elevations they may currently be hanging out in.

Specifically to this area, the main thing I was least prepared for is how steep those cascade hills are. Get your legs strong by hiking with a pack up hill, do stairs, treadmill with a good incline, and just learn how to properly walk up steep hills without burning up your legs.
It's nothing for deer and elk to run up those mountains and they'll be where the hunters aren't. Nothing else matters if you're not in good enough shape to get to them.

Don't shoot at a duck until you can see it's eyes.
Anyone can shoot at an animal from 600-700 yards away. A real hunter will do his best to close the gap and make dang sure of a one shot quick kill. (Opinion, not necessarily advice)

Seriously though...

Hunt your ability. If you're brand new to it, start with small game and work your way up. Just be a tag along/scout on your first big game hunt. Crawl before you walk.

Learn to manage yourself. The unmanaged excitement and adrenaline of trying to sight in your first buck or bull or bear or whatever can often lead to bad shots and an un-enjoyable experience for all mammals involved.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top