JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This the best advice of all.

I've always ALWAYS been very familiar with the land to be hunted. Visit the prospective hunting ground regularly for months, if not years, before hunting day. Using that method, I've never gone home empty-handed, and have usually been on my way back home in short order. In most cases, it is not the first time I've seen the game that has been taken.
This tends to work best on opening day. After that most of the smart experienced deer have changed to Plan B--a different pattern they use when the woods are suddenly full of people carrying rifles and shots are going off here and there. Plan B can include hiding completely during day including dusk and dawn and foraging only during night, staying away from any areas within an easy walk from a road, or moving entirely miles away to somewhere higher up and much less accessible to humans and coming back to the valley bottoms or lowlands only after hunting season is over.

Go talk the landowner before hunting on their property. Trespassers who are carrying a gun are seen as sketchy - at best.
Right. Trespassers who dont get permission are especially viewed unhappily by women. Especially by a woman living alone or whose husband is absent. With or without the guys having guns. One day three guys hunting psychodelic mushrooms broke down my wire fence to get across the creek on my bridge so as to access the property next door that had the shrooms. I was seriously unhappy. Came out and stared at them. (Yes, I was carrying. Concealed. Plus had a good protection dog with me within the house fence.)They ignored me, sauntering down little dirt road as if they owned the field. The peacefulness of the entire day was shot, as I needed to keep watch until the stoners were off my property. After they had gone I repaired my fence and put my flock of nine large Emblem geese in the field.

Three days later the stoners returned. Broke down my fence again. Sauntered down little dirt road as if they owned the place. But this time they stopped dead in their tracks, as geese, who had been napping on the bridge, stood and began honking loudly. Then the geese charged, their heads stretched out aggressively, their wings flapping. Stoners ran. Half vaulted half fell over broken down fence. Drove off. Undoubtedly just forded the creek elsewhere to get to shrooms without needing to cross my property . I went down to geese, praised them for their valiant guard-goose services, and fixed the fence.

Stoners never returned. The weird thing-- If they had just knocked on the door and asked I would have opened the gate and given them permission to use the bridge.

Right. Trespassers who dont get permission are especially viewed unhappily by women. Especially by a woman living alone or whose husband is absent. With or without the guys having guns. One day three guys hunting psychodelic mushrooms broke down my wire fence to get across the creek on my bridge so as to access the property next door that had the shrooms. I was seriously unhappy. Came out and stared at them. (Yes, I was carrying. Concealed. Plus had a good protection dog with me within the house fence.)They ignored me, sauntering down little dirt road as if they owned the field. The peacefulness of the entire day was shot, as I needed to keep watch until the stoners were off my property. After they had gone I repaired my fence and put my flock of nine large Emblem geese in the field.

Three days later the stoners returned. Broke down my fence again. Sauntered down little dirt road as if they owned the place. But this time they stopped dead in their tracks, as geese, who had been napping on the bridge, stood and began honking loudly. Then the geese charged, their heads stretched out aggressively, their wings flapping. Stoners ran. Half vaulted half fell over broken down fence. Drove off. Undoubtedly just forded the creek elsewhere to get to shrooms without needing to cross my property . I went down to geese, praised them for their valiant guard-goose services, and fixed the fence.

Stoners never returned. The weird thing-- If they had just knocked on the door and asked I would have opened the gate and given them permission to use the bridge.
Trespassing, illegal mushrooms and stoners are a bad combination to have on your land. One local property owner shot what he thought was a bear and it ended up being a druggy picking liberty caps. This happened years back up by silver falls state park. It was low light and the Trespasser was dressed in black and down on all 4s. I unfortunately had to testify in the trial as a expert witness

Trespassing, illegal mushrooms and stoners are a bad combination to have on your land. One local property owner shot what he thought was a bear and it ended up being a druggy picking liberty caps. This happened years back up by silver falls state park. It was low light and the Trespasser was dressed in black and down on all 4s. I unfortunately had to testify in the trial as a expert witness
Tell those stoners to quit wearing bear suits all the time dammit!

Heh. Your combat experience is not complete until you've been attacked by a gaggle of geese.

IMG_0754.jpeg

@Tlock -- Do bears like psychedelic mushrooms?

I know from a story a friend with a small illegal pot patch in the woods told me that at least some black bears like pot. When his patch was right at full resin stage, he went to harvest. Found mamma black bear and two cubs finishing off his plants. He yelled at them and waved arms to try to shoo them. Turns out stoned bears don't shoo. They finished off plants and bedded down on the remains. My friend sat under a tree sobbing. He was back from Nam and had bad PTSD, flashbacks, nightmares, insomnia. Pot was the only thing that helped. It was completely illegal in Oregon then.

I know from a story a friend with a small illegal pot patch in the woods told me that at least some black bears like pot. When his patch was right at full resin stage, he went to harvest. Found mamma black bear and two cubs finishing off his plants. He yelled at them and waved arms to try to shoo them. Turns out stoned bears don't shoo. They finished off plants and bedded down on the remains. My friend sat under a tree sobbing. He was back from Nam and had bad PTSD, flashbacks, nightmares, insomnia. Pot was the only thing that helped.
I've seen bears destroy pot plants quite a few times! Never seen them or heard of them going on a trip with shrooms. They like to hang around a truffle patch and dig the blacks up

Before you hunt an area that is new to you look at a topo map of the area. If things go south it will be time well spent. Know how to get out of there.

If it's going to be cold or wet a warm meal in the field goes a long way. I will typically pack a Mt.House or equivalent and a backpacking stove and fuel in my pack. Taking a break to boil some water for a little stroganoff or biscuits and gravy is a good energizer.

Deer also find it reassuring if you are sitting on a gardening pad, back against tree, eyes apparently closed, apparently napping. (Apparently. Ha ha ha.) This is my idea of strenuous hunting.

I know from a story a friend with a small illegal pot patch in the woods told me that at least some black bears like pot. When his patch was right at full resin stage, he went to harvest. Found mamma black bear and two cubs finishing off his plants. He yelled at them and waved arms to try to shoo them. Turns out stoned bears don't shoo. They finished off plants and bedded down on the remains. My friend sat under a tree sobbing. He was back from Nam and had bad PTSD, flashbacks, nightmares, insomnia. Pot was the only thing that helped. It was completely illegal in Oregon then.
Cocain bear?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads