JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Game can sense when you are "predatoring" and when you are not.

Joggers and walkers would probably see more deer than hunters, if they looked for them.

Bruce

But when that old timer gets his Chevy Tracker stuck with one front tire over the edge of a steep bank, held in place by the tree to keep it from sliding over the hill, remember that you too are over 60 and shouldn't be trying to push a Tracker back onto the road because you might just hurt your back. Don't worry about the fact the old timer is on heart medication. Go ahead and just spend a cool night in February 2024 in said Tracker, then in the morning walk the six miles down to a Forest Service road where you might possibly flag down another vehicle. That six-mile hike is a lot more miserable with a bad back, and getting out of bed for the next week or two will bring its own form of torture. Seems like a lot of bother just to check some game cameras and maybe pick up a shed or two. All hypothetical of course. :oops: :(

"Thanks" by the way to Ryan from Lowell for the ride to the Oakridge DQ. And to the stout lads from Oakridge that helped by bucking a huge tree out of the road and winching the Tracker back to solid ground a couple of days later. A reminder that there are still a lot of good folks out and about in the mountains, despite a few stories you might hear to the con

Game can sense when you are "predatoring" and when you are not.

Joggers and walkers would probably see more deer than hunters, if they looked for them.

Bruce
There's nothing magic about it. Prey critters need to be able to tell the difference between a predator hunting them and those who aren't or they would spend too much time running from predators that were not hunting. Its really obvious when a predator is hunting. It sneaks, tries to avoid being seen. It is as quiet as possible. It hides in ambush. Its head is turned directly toward prey, its eyes fixated, staring. The predator walking by casually in plain sight is often ignored as long as it isn't too close. It glances at prey critter but doesn't stare it. I've heard of one time a wolf or fox pretended to be uninterested, then grabbed a duck that was too trusting and let canine get too close. But it must be pretty rare. Apparently most predators aren't very devious.

My own hunting strategy is to pretend I'm just a hiker or mushroom picker or foraging for something. Or am a hiker who has stopped for a rest. One of my favorites. I'm really good at resting. I depend not on fooling deer about my presence but about my intentions. If deer is in plain sight and I need to get nearer I glance at deer disinterestedly and walk toward it using a very zig zag path deer can project will take me passing at a decent distance and I pretend I'm looking for something on the ground. When I'm close enough I draw revolver and fire in one swift motion.

Before someone makes some remark about my use of deception and femaleness-- Those of us who keep livestock do likewise, male or female. We try to fool the animal into thinking all is well until the fatal blow. It cuts down on emotional trauma to animal and keeper. I must admit to feeling a bit of guilt over deceiving a deer. But much less than I feel over butchering any livestock I have raised, whom I have cared for and nurtured. Who has learned to trust me.

the old broad says, "I must admit to feeling a bit of guilt over deceiving a deer. But much less than I feel over butchering any livestock I have raised, whom I have cared for and nurtured. Who has learned to trust me."

I agree about the butchering livestock part, It got harder each year to butcher our cows. that is at least part of the reason we quit, that and the economics just weren't working out. now we buy beef from a high school friend that runs a cattle operation in central Oregon. priced right and no emotional attachment.

Last Edited:
We quit farming and raising animals 20 years ago. Now we just buy a
half of beef every year from a local rancher. A local kid has a custom
kill, cut and wrap. less work for me and probably cheaper.

Back on topic, Walk slow, stop often, and watch behind you for
zig zaggin Old Broads.

Don't go bear hunting with your .22. Even a caveman knows that.

1709676209923.png

We quit farming and raising animals 20 years ago. Now we just buy a
half of beef every year from a local rancher. A local kid has a custom
kill, cut and wrap. less work for me and probably cheaper.

Back on topic, Walk slow, stop often, and watch behind you for
zig zaggin Old Broads.
At least, as a 78-year-old broad, I'm pretty mellow. But as Young Broad...well, a piece of a song I thought up while hiking one day, after having not having seen any other humans for a month, went thus:

Get you a young one. Get you one who's eager and shy.
Hey, get you a young one. Get you one who's eager and shy.
If he don't hold it down, he'd p!ss right in his eye.
Get you an old one. Get you a lusty old coot.
Hey, get you an old one. Get you a lusty old coot.
If he don't hold it up, he'd p!ss right in his boot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top