JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Finally got my solar system turned on. I now have electrical power whenever it's light out. I'll be tweaking and observing and collecting data until next summer, when I hope to get a whole-house wall battery backup. One step closer to energy independence.

EDIT: "Tweaking" the settings and installation, not doing meth. Just to clarify.

Last Edited:
Made a dump run wed. - got rid of a bunch of crap/etc. accumulated over the years. Also tires left behind my logger and previous owners (not sure which owner - I found frames/axles/wheels/tires from original mobile home that used to be here, in brambles - I've done a LOT of cleanup of the plot to get rid of junk people have dumped here).

Still working on organizing stuff - at least what I am keeping is now in mouse resistant containers - now I need to go thru and organize each one into consistent contents, not mixed altogether, and label the containers so I can find stuff.

Got my new mouse trap and installed it on a five gallon bucket with water in the bottom and peanut butter as bait. I have not seen a mouse in a week - probably most out in the field.

Going to do some mowing today, maybe try to fix the flail mower so I can do some real mowing.

Ordered some of these kits for stashing. The phones are unique in that they hold an 8gig micro sd, 2 SIM cards, and are internet capable without being a google or android OS (no tracking) they came with a micro usb charger that allows you to use either AAor AAA batteries to charge, as well as a wall charger.
A42CDA53-8760-4C7F-A335-D3068BEBE331.jpeg E273FDD1-80C2-4CF7-857E-5ACA68BBBD46.jpeg

Ordered some of these kits for stashing. The phones are unique in that they hold an 8gig micro sd, 2 SIM cards, and are internet capable without being a google or android OS (no tracking) they came with a micro usb charger that allows you to use either AAor AAA batteries to charge, as well as a wall charger.
View attachment 989466View attachment 989465
More info?

Precursor to other crop shortages due to weather and overuse/misuse of water supplies
We should ask Dubai how to deal with water shortages.

excerpt-
Dubai has some of the highest water consumption rates in the world, with average water consumption of 145 gallons of water per person. The high consumption levels are driven by rapid urbanization, the climate, and an increase in population. The primary source of freshwater in Dubai is desalinated seawater from the Arabian Gulf. It accounts for 89.9% of the city's water supply needs. The remainder of the water demand is mainly serviced by underground water. The residential sector accounts for the highest rates of water consumption (60.6%) and is followed by the commercial sector (24.9%) and the industrial sector, which consumes about 3.7%. The irrigation sector consumes wastewater and is not included in the compiled data above.

Maybe we could leverage an earmark in the infrastructure bill to actually build a piece of infrastructure.

Back to the topic- got a Sawyer and some Lifestraws to try out. Because we are not problem solving like Dubai.

We should ask Dubai how to deal with water shortages.

excerpt-
Dubai has some of the highest water consumption rates in the world, with average water consumption of 145 gallons of water per person. The high consumption levels are driven by rapid urbanization, the climate, and an increase in population. The primary source of freshwater in Dubai is desalinated seawater from the Arabian Gulf. It accounts for 89.9% of the city's water supply needs. The remainder of the water demand is mainly serviced by underground water. The residential sector accounts for the highest rates of water consumption (60.6%) and is followed by the commercial sector (24.9%) and the industrial sector, which consumes about 3.7%. The irrigation sector consumes wastewater and is not included in the compiled data above.

Maybe we could leverage an earmark in the infrastructure bill to actually build a piece of infrastructure.

Back to the topic- got a Sawyer and some Lifestraws to try out. Because we are not problem solving like Dubai.
They have little choice and they have a LOT of wealth - they are the third richest country in the world. They also have significant solar power resources.

Besides the high costs associated with desalination, the process also has adverse effects on the marine environment as a result of the discharge of chemicals and concentrate. The method also results in significant levels of air pollution. The reliability of desalinated water in urban centers has been questioned due to the red tide effect, which has been witnessed in the Arabian Gulf. They have affected water quality, leading to the interruption of water production in various desalination plants. For example, in 2008, operations in the Ras Al Khaimah desalination plant were halted for a week due to the red tide.

They have little choice and they have a LOT of wealth - they are the third richest country in the world. They also have significant solar power resources.
And our choice is? Are not our reservoirs running dry and water tables lowering? Pretty sure we could "afford" to build these, our biggest problem is in "how" we are spending our wealth. Also, the primary energy source there is natural gas. I believe they recently finished constructing a coal plant (!) In an effort to diversify their energy sources. And yes, there is the usual lip service about the plans for renewables.
Sorry, I think I missed the point of your post, or how it relates to prepping.

And our choice is? Are not our reservoirs running dry and water tables lowering? Pretty sure we could "afford" to build these, our biggest problem is in "how" we are spending our wealth. Also, the primary energy source there is natural gas. I believe they recently finished constructing a coal plant (!) In an effort to diversify their energy sources. And yes, there is the usual lip service about the plans for renewables.
Sorry, I think I missed the point of your post, or how it relates to prepping.
Our choice is to reduce our wasteful use of water. We consume crops that take a lot of water. We have yards that use a lot of water for purely aesthetic purposes. We grow water hungry landscaping plants on land that could be used for food. I have been thru much of Oregon farm land, and I have noticed that a significant portion of ag land that used to grow food now grows landscaping plants.

We finally got our first eggs (20 so far) put into the hydrated-lime water solution.

Water-glassing eggs, to preserve them.... I had wondered how the old sailing ships were able to preserve eggs. I guess this must've been how it was done.

I wonder if fertile eggs can be preserved, and then hatched?

Our choice is to reduce our wasteful use of water. We consume crops that take a lot of water. We have yards that use a lot of water for purely aesthetic purposes. We grow water hungry landscaping plants on land that could be used for food. I have been thru much of Oregon farm land, and I have noticed that a significant portion of ag land that used to grow food now grows landscaping plants.
That said, more along the lines of prepping, whatever the rest of the populace does, a prepper should ensure that his BOL/etc., has a more than adequate supply of potable water, including enough to irrigate a garden during the summer - as necessary. For the first time since I have lived here on my property, I've noticed a major part of my bed of lillys (I did not plant them, nor do I tend to them - they are just there) have turned brown in the center - I am sure this is due to the heat and dry weather, even though here on the mountain we get double the precip the valley does, and there have been a few days were we got a drizzle but the valley got nothing. Since the heat wave a little while ago, it has been dry as a bone and a lot of things are drying out.

1626149703240.png

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads