JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Regime is going well, better than expected. The daily routine has been truly daily for months now. Barbells at 13lb & 19lb each (depending on lift). Stretching has been the best; less/no pain in the mornings, yard work is easy. If the commies take over my ability to Slav-Squat naturally will enhance my disguise. ;)

An actual prepper prep this week was to rotate/restock our MREs. They were old, so have been eating them. Our calories have three tiers; the pantry, MREs and emergency bars, and long term (Freeze dried and other very long term types).

The pantry is just that, and includes our freezer. Freezer load is always dated; break apart bulk into individual freezer bags. Canned bought in Costco bulk, 8-16 cans at a time. Grains bought in 5lbs or greater. We way overstock; not atypical to eat food 60+ days after purchase. Figure we have 2 mo @ 2k calories a day for each of us at all times, 2-3 weeks if the kids moved in.

MREs etc are the second tier; if they're tapped then stuff is more serious than I've ever seen it. Always have 1 weeks worth for the whole tribe.

Long term: 2 weeks for the tribe. If we're eating these things are grim.

Overall we have 2-3 months if it's just us, a month if everyone comes to us.

I know that barely makes me a prepper, and I'm ok with that. :)
Well done. Folks often overlook the physical aspect. I just do basic things like push-ups, sit-ups and jumping jacks from time to time. I walk the dog every night and I usually put my gear on and walk around the house and up and down the stairs multiple times until. Run in gear on the treadmill. Just doing enough to keep myself from going soft and weak.

Stay safe out there.

Put together 2 more smoked cheese blocked, dehydrated and canned cucumbers , another jar of apple, and put on some banana on to dehydrate.

Got some more vacuum sealing gear for Mason jars and put a chamber vacuum sealer on the wedding registry...

Last Edited:
Acquired 360 rounds of .45 Colt for my 460V. I have to do an inventory again, but I think that makes about 5-600 rounds of ammo for the 460V, about 400 rounds .45 Colt, the rest mostly .460 mag (some 454 Casull in there somewhere?). That ought to be enough considering I rarely shoot the beast and I have nothing else in .45 Colt -> .460

Grabbed some ammo cans, some large cans of hickory baked beans (5/$5), a filter for the furnace, and a funnel.

Chain for the chain saw was delivered (I think - gotta go look for it).

Oh, and I forgot; bought a Gerber Ultimate survival knife for my daughter.

Acquired 360 rounds of .45 Colt for my 460V. I have to do an inventory again, but I think that makes about 5-600 rounds of ammo for the 460V, about 400 rounds .45 Colt, the rest mostly .460 mag (some 454 Casull in there somewhere?). That ought to be enough considering I rarely shoot the beast and I have nothing else in .45 Colt -> .460

Grabbed some ammo cans, some large cans of hickory baked beans (5/$5), a filter for the furnace, and a funnel.

Chain for the chain saw was delivered (I think - gotta go look for it).

Oh, and I forgot; bought a Gerber Ultimate survival knife for my daughter.
I bought Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate survival knife. Great knife for the price. Always been a Gerber knife fan, especially the older Gerbers 1970-1980's.

Dozen bell peppers dehydrated, now got 5 yellow onions going, will have more apples and cucumber... have a vacuum sealer system for Mason jars coming.

Planted 3 grape vines, installed branch supports on the semi-dwarf trees that are still a few years from maturity...

Need to get a couple dozen more Mason jars....

Went camping this weekend alone to test out my "go bag" and camping gear bin (this would be grabbed if time allowed in an emergency). A few things missing but so far so good.

I'm not eating my emergency food and water though. Brats and burgers this weekend 😬

Acquired some more 7.62x39 ammo - 900 rounds.

I've noticed most (maybe all) of the rooskie ammo I have, 5.56 and 7.62x39, has steel jackets that are copper/brass plated. I.E., "bi-metal". Not particularly happy about that, but it is what it is. :(

Anyway, I think I have enough 7.63x39 for a while now - I need to redo the inventory because I have not kept it up to date.

Once things calm down I will probably buy some decent US made 7.62x39 SD ammo. I have some Hornady SST steel case I picked up years ago for decent prices, but I think they don't even make that anymore, only brass case and they charge 2-3X as much because they use the fancy "Black" ammo marketing now.

Took a better inventory of 7.62x39 and decided I have enough for now - ~6K rounds, most of it either Russian/et. al. HP or SP, 1K rounds of Hornady SST. Enough for 3 people.

Put up some smoke alarms in the house to replace the old expired CO alarms - new ones have an illumination light that turns on when the alarm goes on.

20210523_223655.jpg

Expanding the dehydrated goods,

Bananas 6 jars
Apples 6 jars
Strawberries .75 jar
Yellow Onion 1 jar
Bell Peppers 1.5 jars
Cucumbers 1 jar.
Mini marshmallows 3 jars.

About 6-9 Bananas per jar
About 2-3 apples in sheets per jar
Strawberries 2.5lbs per jar
About 6 Yellow onions per jar
About 5 Cucumbers per jar
About 8 Bell Peppers per jar

Just put in a sheet of kiwi fruit and 5lbs of celery in the dehydrator.

All jars have moisture and oxygen absorbers plus have been vacuum sealed.

Need to get a bunch more jars.

20210523_231520.jpg 20210523_231501.jpg

Got a new cold smoker, need to make some modifications.

Last Edited:
Bought some ball ammo for practice.

Bought some more ammo can combos at BiMart ( https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...0-caliber-cans-inside-3-cans-total-30.374129/ )

Drove the long way around going home to check out some areas where I might want to buy land - confirmed one area is not where I want to buy due to only one way in and out, and that if Hagg lake lets go it might flood the valley (or valleys) making it hard to come & go. https://www.opb.org/news/article/scoggins-dam-hagg-lake-earthquake-retrofit/

Looked at property south of there - around the Yamhill area.

Bought some ball ammo for practice.

Bought some more ammo can combos at BiMart ( https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...0-caliber-cans-inside-3-cans-total-30.374129/ )

Drove the long way around going home to check out some areas where I might want to buy land - confirmed one area is not where I want to buy due to only one way in and out, and that if Hagg lake lets go it might flood the valley (or valleys) making it hard to come & go. https://www.opb.org/news/article/scoggins-dam-hagg-lake-earthquake-retrofit/

Looked at property south of there - around the Yamhill area.
Actually, dam letting go, "could" be a pretty decent geographic deterrant feature. Obviously depends upon how property lays etc. AND assumes you wouldn't be caught out in the flood while it is occurring.

That would suck! Having a reasonably decent bug-in location, prepared to be isolated, then die in a flood because you wanted to make one last run to the store...

Mind, I am NOT recommending one think on creating some type of calamity themselves after some event. That would affect too many good folks.

However DO recommend folks consider creating other layered isolating features which ONLY affect themselves / or small on board community / neighbors / family. Ex: making private road impassable / "less" passable, "controlled" slow passable etc. As an oversimplified example.

Yeah, I could just imagine one of us (the plan is for my kids to build their house on the property after they sell their surburbia house) being away from the property and not being able to return, or being on the road which would be overrun by a flood. The dam on that lake is not seismic safe. I want a property that is somewhat isolated, but has multiple methods of access/egress, should one or more of them be blocked due to some calamity.

We downsized some more things all around the house and garage.

We sold and gifted some more items.

I am able to lift some items more easily now since we downsized.

We rotated some more freezer and pantry items too.

Cate

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads