Buster Beaver Cerakote
Gun Deals
Defensive Arts
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
HighLine Firearms
J&B Firearm Sales

Dr Prepper

Reactions
Heading over to the farm to see about keeping an apple variety going.

One of our heirloom variety apple trees got destroyed during construction at the house. I’ve taken cuttings from it, and hope to get them grafted onto a few other apple trees in the orchard today. If all goes well, we’ll have Stark Jumbo apples for generations to come.

View attachment 836243
glad to see your keeping the strain alive!

Jbsheepdog

Reactions
Heading over to the farm to see about keeping an apple variety going.

One of our heirloom variety apple trees got destroyed during construction at the house. I’ve taken cuttings from it, and hope to get them grafted onto a few other apple trees in the orchard today. If all goes well, we’ll have Stark Jumbo apples for generations to come.

View attachment 836243
Id love to get some seed or something to grow this variety from you at some point!!!

ma96782

Reactions
I got a new hat.

A Stormy Kromer Waxed Rancher hat.

An insulated water resistant ball cap with pull down ear flaps.

View attachment 835770

Oh yeah......
Hunting-Wabbits.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

OldTengu

Reactions
I’ve been building out a day pack for a couple weeks. I carry it to/from work each day and 12 miles a day on weekends. Trying to minimize weight and maximize usefulness. Not difficult necessarily, but this bag is for daily use AND a potential BUG/GHB, as well as a bag that would be useful if bugging in and having to go out for supplies. It has a few specific requirements:
1) Cannot be tactical in appearance. No sense in advertising.
2) Has to be no larger than 25L. Anything larger is wasteful, in terms of space. Just enough room to carry necessities while leaving enough room for found/foraged/purchased items.
3) This generally goes without saying, but has to be durable. I’ve had plenty of backpacks fall apart with daily use under minimal load, and plenty fall apart because I had no choice to use them constantly and always overloaded. I have a couple backup ideas in mind, but feel I have settled on a good one.
Edit to add 4) Needs to be inexpensive enough to not sting so bad if it fails or I have to ditch it. Same with it’s contents.
Pics soonish.

Last Edited:

Howard1955

Reactions
I’ve been building out a day pack for a couple weeks. I carry it to/from work each day and 12 miles a day on weekends. Trying to minimize weight and maximize usefulness. Not difficult necessarily, but this bag is for daily use AND a potential BUG/GHB, as well as a bag that would be useful if bugging in and having to go out for supplies. It has a few specific requirements:
1) Cannot be tactical in appearance. No sense in advertising.
2) Has to be no larger than 25L. Anything larger is wasteful, in terms of space. Just enough room to carry necessities while leaving enough room for found/foraged/purchased items.
3) This generally goes without saying, but has to be durable. I’ve had plenty of backpacks fall apart with daily use under minimal load, and plenty fall apart because I had no choice to use them constantly and always overloaded. I have a couple backup ideas in mind, but feel I have settled on a good one.
Edit to add 4) Needs to be inexpensive enough to not sting so bad if it fails or I have to ditch it. Same with it’s contents.
Pics soonish.

These little things are great. Wouldn’t take up much space in your pack, either.

OldTengu

Reactions
559F86AF-73C6-4400-A169-50C535279A35.jpeg
Columbia sportswear Classic backpack with a little of everything. Snacks, backup battery, water, coffee cup, first aid, tape, cordage, gloves, notepad and pens, jhp ammo, socks and an Ontario sp-1. Still fine tuning it. May put some items in a plastic box to save room and help the pack maintain shape, which the FAK is doing now. I don’t like having it on the bottom of the pack, though.
Figuring it out.
Amazon had the bag for 18 bucks. It’s kinda thin, and I am apprehensive about its strength but so far it’s holding up.

Hey all, wake up!
Right now is a good time to stock up on freeze dried food. Places like walmart.com have a lot available and prices are good. I just made a quick order for some Augason Farms beef stroganoff, rice with chicken and freeze dried peas. About $21/can and free two day delivery. Costco also has their emergency kits in the stores.
What I'm saying is buy it while this stuff is in stock and prices are good.
Whatever the next panic/scare/crisis event is, it will be too late and just like ammo and toilet paper you will be a day late and several thousand dollars short. Then you will be telling us how you are crying in your beer because you missed the boat again.
Act now folks, Cigars speaks the truth (just add tin foil). Cheers. :cool:

Last Edited:

The Heretic

Reactions
Hey all, wake up!
Right now is a good time to stock up on freeze dried food. Places like walmart.com have a lot available and prices are good. I just made a quick order for some Augason Farms beef stroganoff, rice with chicken and freeze dried peas. About $21/can and free two day delivery. Costco also has there emergency kits in the stores.
Whatever the next panic/scare/crisis event is, it will be too late and just like ammo and toilet paper you will be a day late and several thousand dollars short. Then you will be telling us how you are crying in your beer because you missed the boat again.

Nice PSA.

Can't go wrong with Mountain House & Auguson. Try some if possible before going all in, just as in anything. Best to stock up on stuff one enjoys eating, vs has an aversion to.

Another value option is Later Day Saints (LDS). Need not be church members, store houses are open to the general public on particular days of the week. Depends on location. Excellent source for prepackaged "bulk" type stuff to design meals around, or ad to meals etc. Things like oats, flour, pasta, beans etc etc canned up for long term storage.

Mind, we haven't been to our LDS storehouse at all amidst the Pandemic, so no idea whatsoever on what current inventory/availability is. Worth a look see for sure, for folks thinking on starting out though.

Note: prices are per case of 6 #10 cans mostly. Powdered milk is envelope packed case.

Locations (scroll down for Oregon & Washington):

====

Folks should stay away from Wise, and there now number of spinoff names. IMO.

Simply the value to nutrition is not there, especially on there buckets/kits. Primarily empty calorie & bulk based (soups, powder drinks, dehydrated potatoes & potatoe based stuff). Folks can do far better spending elsewhere, or putting together there own kits.

Siglvr

Reactions
Hey all, wake up!
Right now is a good time to stock up on freeze dried food. Places like walmart.com have a lot available and prices are good. I just made a quick order for some Augason Farms beef stroganoff, rice with chicken and freeze dried peas. About $21/can and free two day delivery. Costco also has there emergency kits in the stores.

Great advice Cigar, buy cheap, stack it deep. Do it now while you can. Mountain House has exceptionally long expiration dates of 30 plus years and you can increase that even more by storing in a cool dark, dry place.

LDS (Mormons) folks are a great resource. They've been perfecting this game for many many years and they are open to sharing. They're the way to get stocked up on a budget. Survival mom has their food prepping/storage .pdf available to download. https://thesurvivalmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/LDS-Preparedness-Manual.pdf It's free, and has 222 pages including a bunch of other things - navigate the flu, terrorism, and biological weapons -etc etc.

For the less organized and the lazy (me) there's the Mountain House fall back.

Soli

Reactions
So far about a month (?) into my regime. Mostly getting fit, though have been doing holster drills. Not really any sling time.

Daily I'm doing 20-30 minutes of stretching and "position strengthening." (Just made that up, basically holding a position until muscles hurt.) Stretching is just as good as I remember it! I feel better all around, and chalk it up to being more limber.

Every other day it's light weights. Am up to reliably 3 sets of each routine with the dumb bells. Push ups are now 3 sets of 15, done within 2 minutes.

Lastly jumping rope. It's hard, but am getting it.

Stopped by Sportsman's on 82nd, because I like the scenery. Picked up two Sterno stoves and the last two 2 packs of fuel.
$5.99 for the stove, made in USA. Going to keep them in the vehicles emergency kits. I know, I know...Sterno. Yes, I have better stoves but sometimes old school fits the bill. Walmart has the fuel cheaper but I didn't feel like going in. Today I probably would have been mistaken for "people of walmart". It's just been that kind of day.

IMG_20210310_131330.jpg

NW Custom Firearms
Southwest Firearms Forum
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Project Appleseed
Copeland Custom Gunworks
Sporting Systems
Cerberus Training Group

Latest Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Top Bottom