JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Signed up for Utah & Arizona combined concealed carry class so I can carry outside Oregon (and almost every state west of the Mississippi). That way when I bug out to my future hidee hole in idee ho I can carry legally the whole way pre-WROL.

PS-- Screw you, Colorado. I don't want to visit your stupid state anyway!

Signed up for Utah & Arizona combined concealed carry class so I can carry outside Oregon (and almost every state west of the Mississippi). That way when I bug out to my future hidee hole in idee ho I can carry legally the whole way pre-WROL.

PS-- Screw you, Colorado. I don't want to visit your stupid state anyway!

If your thinking you may road trip/visit New Mexico, then look into either Nevada or Arizona out of state as well. I forget which one is cheaper/easier to get as out of state. Utah doesn't have reciprocity with NM.

Edit, adding: get your paperwork in as soon as possible after your class, your cutting it kinda close given the elections...

Got the last of the firewood out of that part of my woods that won't be reachable once it starts raining constantly.

15502ud.jpg

Dragged any logs too large to pickup by hand out to where I could get to them along the road or driveway. Now I need to stack the cut wood near the house.

I may need it this winter; employer is making noises that after first of the year there may be some cutbacks so I may be home more than I planned - although I kind of doubt it (I think others would get cut before I would - but you need to be prepared). I have enough cut to last the winter, and I can get to the rest and cut it if I need it.

Hi Heretic,

I did a bunch of research on chaps and most of the logging and arborist websites pretty much said these were the best and they are made in the USA if that matters. This is not to say others like Stihl, Husqvarna, etc, aren't any good, just the consensus was Labonville was the one to get.

They make a 10 ply Competition apron wrap and a 6 ply apron wrap LW85 (not the apron), I opted for the 6 ply apron wrap because I'm not a hardcore logger or logging competitor anything even close. Seems the 6 ply will pretty much stop the chainsaws I use which are around 50cc, though they will stop much bigger saws so I'm led to believe. I got mine from Baileys Online dot com.

Sizing is a little different than you use for regular pants. You measure from the top of where your belt normally sits to the middle of your ankle where that little bone sticks out. I measured 40-41'ish so I got the size 40 which is listed as XL in green.

It's pretty interesting how they stop chainsaws. Basically the saw blade cuts through the top layer of material, (Labonville uses 1000 Denier) then the 6 layers of Dupont kevlar entangle around the blade and gets sucked into the drive sprocket and stops it almost immediately thus keeping it from cutting through to your soft fleshy bits and bone.

Anyhow, that's probably waaay more than you wanted. Sorry for the wordiness. :)

Mike

No need to be sorry, Mike! That was interesting and well written! I never even heard of chainsaw chaps until a few years ago, and certainly didn't know how they worked! I was fortunate to have been a subscriber to Mother Earth News back when I got my first chainsaw. One contained "Barnical Pharf's Chainsaw Guide!" It had everything you need to know about safety, felling, etc. I've never even been nicked and can drop a tree on your toenail! :D I've still got it around here, somewhere, after about 45 years!

As to prep, we stopped at a yard sale yesterday evening and picked up three, nice synthetic blankets, new in plastic! A buck per! I think we will replace the aging car blankets and have the extra one on the storage shelves.

Today I upgraded my Northwestfirearms account to Bronze level supporter. By investing in and supporting an active community of 2A supporters I'm helping to ensure the safety and future of my family, friends, country. Everything, no matter how small, matters.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top