JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nicely done Trailtrader!

To finish my collection right now I'd need a Glock 32 .357sig, Saiga 12, Marlin 30-30 Lever and .357 Mag lever action.

Oh, and a 45/70 single shot.

Newt trigger setup for my Marlin model 60, a dozen or so magazines of various sorts, and yeah, an end to the ammo shortage and I'd be a few thousand rounds away from being set!

Anybody familiar with how to roof mount an Antron A-99 antenna with a tripod mount and 10' pole?

Need some advice to make it sturdy.

Nicely done Trailtrader!

To finish my collection right now I'd need a Glock 32 .357sig, Saiga 12, Marlin 30-30 Lever and .357 Mag lever action.

Oh, and a 45/70 single shot.

Newt trigger setup for my Marlin model 60, a dozen or so magazines of various sorts, and yeah, an end to the ammo shortage and I'd be a few thousand rounds away from being set!

Anybody familiar with how to roof mount an Antron A-99 antenna with a tripod mount and 10' pole?

Need some advice to make it sturdy.

*Blinks in confusion* Jaaaacccckkkkk,,,,,I know pots legal here but your logic is all over the map. How in the devil did you come up with THOSE calibers? I see the Saiga 12 (I came pretty close to getting one myself- but the Mossy will work) The Marlin (Or other) chambered in 30/30 I can see. The .357 I can see if it'll also shoot 38 (a few can) The single 45/70? Might as well get a Ruger 1 or 3, and put in Ruger 1 or 3 loads,,,after about 5 shots you can sell it to me at a greatly reduced rate! (Look up the Accurate Reloading Manual #15- it was before the attorneys watered it down? Those loads is like shooting a 50BMG sans muzzlebreak)

Anything chambered in .357 Sig? Naw man- you can't be serious are you? Expensive ammo and an oddball round at that? ("Oddball" means in this context "If its not dam mned popular it's an oddball")

New trigger on a Marlin 60? WHY? They're good for 80 to 100 yards and pretty close to already being a tack driver if you can get decent food for it. (I've had good success with feeding them "Stingers" by the way- extra power operates the bolt more reliably I guess)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Antron A-99 is an 11 meter 1/4th wave (Read: "CB") antenna. The key to making it work is to make darn sure the radials are isolated from the metal sheet metal of the vehicle- if it touches the vehicle she'll burn out her outputs, you'll have an energy feed back that may or may not smoke the alternators regulators- at least it'll weaken them so they'll fail later.

As far as how to mount it? I wouldn't. I'd go to a truck stop or a 2 way radio shop and have them look at the vehicle, they'll do some nifty math and turn the whole vehicle into an antenna to give you MUCH farther reach. Ham's encounter this problem all the time working 10, 15, 17 and 20 meter's.

As far as the 45/70? Well, this is what I want,,,,,all $6500 worth of it! OK- the price has dropped a bit- to $4500 and yes, I do want my gold initials on the side, and a set of Long Distance (1200 yards) ladder sights because,,, its MY rifle! <broken link removed>

Because we all have a dream of shooting the magic 1,000 yards- and any man who say's he doesn't want to make at least "THAT SHOT" once in their life is a liar and their breath stinks. It's a psychological barrier we'd all like to break- that 1,000 yard limit.

*Blinks in confusion* Jaaaacccckkkkk,,,,,I know pots legal here but your logic is all over the map. How in the devil did you come up with THOSE calibers? I see the Saiga 12 (I came pretty close to getting one myself- but the Mossy will work) The Marlin (Or other) chambered in 30/30 I can see. The .357 I can see if it'll also shoot 38 (a few can)

How the devil indeed!

Ok, I'll give you a peek into my world :)

What I have in the .358" bullet category.
  • My Wife has a .38 special S&W to carry
  • I have a Taurus .357Mag to carry (I'll get a S&W here as well, but my Taurus has been trustworthy)

What I want in the .358" bullet category.
  • .357 Lever action rifle. (Good up to 100-150yards, nice short truck gun and the .357 mag bullets in my pocket fit my pistol or rifle.)
Anything chambered in .357 Sig? Naw man- you can't be serious are you? Expensive ammo and an oddball round at that? ("Oddball" means in this context "If its not dam mned popular it's an oddball")
  • .357 Sig. - I scoffed at this caliber as well. Nice thing is, the same bullet mold I have for making my Wife's .38 special and my .357 Mag will work in this one as well.
I bought a revolver because I'm one of those "I can't have a FTE/FTF when it counts" guys who sticks with revolvers to reduce the potential for failure.

A buddy of mine kept telling me about this wonderful .357 sig and how it was different, so I studied and was intrigued. I had him bring it out and MAN was it a rock solid performer, kicked less, fired true and clean.

I'll carry my .357mag as a backup once I get the Sig, but the sig will be my Go-To-Gun.

Ballisticly the .357 Sig is the closest match to the .357 Mag in a pistol caliber. It was designed for that purpose. The genius in the design is that it's a bottle neck cartridge, so it feeds as reliably as an AR-15, but gives you the round capacity of a semi-auto pistol and the stopping power of the .357 mag revolver.

On top of that, while it's an "Oddball" caliber, it's made from the most common components in the universe. It's just a 40 cal. case necked down to .355 (9mm) so all I need to pick up are 2 dies. 1 to reshape the 40 cal cases to .357 sig specs, and a sizer die to lower my .358" bullets down to about .356" for the Sig.

So I'll be shooting the most reliable semi-auto pistol cartridge, while enjoying the ability to make my own "Oddball" rounds for it.

So that's 4 firearms serviced as a single caliber.

New trigger on a Marlin 60? WHY? They're good for 80 to 100 yards and pretty close to already being a tack driver if you can get decent food for it. (I've had good success with feeding them "Stingers" by the way- extra power operates the bolt more reliably I guess)

Oh yeah, my Marlin is a tack driver, but when you have your eyeball deep in the scope, and you're sighted in on the sweet spot that you're gonna put holes in, and you start to apply pressure to the trigger... the amount of force you have to apply to the trigger can move the entire gun if you aren't real careful.

Take a glance here... get a napkin for the drool :)
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/m...only/90503-kat-trigger-marlin-semi-autos.html

The baby listed at the above forum is my baby... 16oz pull and custom machined for my trigger assembly.

The Antron A-99 is an 11 meter 1/4th wave (Read: "CB") antenna. The key to making it work is to make darn sure the radials are isolated from the metal sheet metal of the vehicle- if it touches the vehicle she'll burn out her outputs, you'll have an energy feed back that may or may not smoke the alternators regulators- at least it'll weaken them so they'll fail later.

You must be confused. Did they open the pot stores in Lakewood yesterday too? :)

The Antron A-99 is a 10-11 meter base station antenna. It's 18' long ;) That's not going on any of my vehicles.

(I'll be using it on my Ranger 2790DX for 10 Meter.. not CB because it hasn't been modified for 11 Meter.. that's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

http://www.walcottcb.com/solarcon-antron-a99-cb-radio-home-base-station-antenna-p-354.html

I do have a Hustler foldable spring mounted mobile mast for HF radio (Comes with all the Antenna attachments for 6-160m in it! It uses a coil system to avoid having to wire my vehicle up as an Antenna or run ground planes. I don't have a mobile for that yet though!

The single 45/70? Might as well get a Ruger 1 or 3, and put in Ruger 1 or 3 loads,,,after about 5 shots you can sell it to me at a greatly reduced rate! (Look up the Accurate Reloading Manual #15- it was before the attorneys watered it down? Those loads is like shooting a 50BMG sans muzzlebreak)

I have another friend! (I have the smartest friends ever! Some of them are even on this forum!)

This 'nuther friend taught me how to hold 3 additional rounds in my hand, and fire 4 rounds from the 45/70 single shot faster then you can cycle a single shot on a bolt action rifle.

<broken link removed>

It's only a $238 rifle, and serves that "Need to drop that Bear/Cougar/Motorcycle" need. (Not that I would buy from CTD, but they have the picture to show.)

We already have 30/30's in the family, but I don't have one, so it's not opening a new caliber to us, it's just giving me the same toys my kids have. :)

How the devil indeed!

Ok, I'll give you a peek into my world :)

What I have in the .358" bullet category.
  • My Wife has a .38 special S&W to carry
  • I have a Taurus .357Mag to carry (I'll get a S&W here as well, but my Taurus has been trustworthy)

What I want in the .358" bullet category.
  • .357 Lever action rifle. (Good up to 100-150yards, nice short truck gun and the .357 mag bullets in my pocket fit my pistol or rifle.)

• .357 Sig. - I scoffed at this caliber as well. Nice thing is, the same bullet mold I have for making my Wife's .38 special and my .357 Mag will work in this one as well.
I bought a revolver because I'm one of those "I can't have a FTE/FTF when it counts" guys who sticks with revolvers to reduce the potential for failure.

A buddy of mine kept telling me about this wonderful .357 sig and how it was different, so I studied and was intrigued. I had him bring it out and MAN was it a rock solid performer, kicked less, fired true and clean.

I'll carry my .357mag as a backup once I get the Sig, but the sig will be my Go-To-Gun.

Ballisticly the .357 Sig is the closest match to the .357 Mag in a pistol caliber. It was designed for that purpose. The genius in the design is that it's a bottle neck cartridge, so it feeds as reliably as an AR-15, but gives you the round capacity of a semi-auto pistol and the stopping power of the .357 mag revolver.

On top of that, while it's an "Oddball" caliber, it's made from the most common components in the universe. It's just a 40 cal. case necked down to .355 (9mm) so all I need to pick up are 2 dies. 1 to reshape the 40 cal cases to .357 sig specs, and a sizer die to lower my .358" bullets down to about .356" for the Sig.

So I'll be shooting the most reliable semi-auto pistol cartridge, while enjoying the ability to make my own "Oddball" rounds for it.

So that's 4 firearms serviced as a single caliber.

OK- your logic's solid- I'll buy into it.

Oh yeah, my Marlin is a tack driver, but when you have your eyeball deep in the scope, and you're sighted in on the sweet spot that you're gonna put holes in, and you start to apply pressure to the trigger... the amount of force you have to apply to the trigger can move the entire gun if you aren't real careful.

Take a glance here... get a napkin for the drool :)
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/m...only/90503-kat-trigger-marlin-semi-autos.html

The baby listed at the above forum is my baby... 16oz pull and custom machined for my trigger assembly.

No drool here- sure, it's nifty. Is it worth it? Meh,,,if it makes you happy go for it.

You must be confused. Did they open the pot stores in Lakewood yesterday too? :)

The Antron A-99 is a 10-11 meter base station antenna. It's 18' long ;) That's not going on any of my vehicles. Must be a different company making a similar one then- the one's I saw were NOT in that category. So if it's 18' + an extra 10' you simply bolt them together using stainless steel screws night and tight, wood block on the apex of the roof. Run 8 guy wires- 2 near the top, 2 near the middle to each corner of the roof having 3 friends hold a guy line while you block it in place. This is where a review of trig functions come's in handy. Just make sure the corners are lagged on the roof's overhang so if it does leak it doesn't leak into the house. Use mastic to keep the leaks from happening.

(I'll be using it on my Ranger 2790DX for 10 Meter.. not CB because it hasn't been modified for 11 Meter.. that's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

http://www.walcottcb.com/solarcon-antron-a99-cb-radio-home-base-station-antenna-p-354.html

I do have a Hustler foldable spring mounted mobile mast for HF radio (Comes with all the Antenna attachments for 6-160m in it! It uses a coil system to avoid having to wire my vehicle up as an Antenna or run ground planes. I don't have a mobile for that yet though!

I have another friend! (I have the smartest friends ever! Some of them are even on this forum!)

This 'nuther friend taught me how to hold 3 additional rounds in my hand, and fire 4 rounds from the 45/70 single shot faster then you can cycle a single shot on a bolt action rifle.

<broken link removed>

It's only a $238 rifle, and serves that "Need to drop that Bear/Cougar/Motorcycle" need. (Not that I would buy from CTD, but they have the picture to show.)

I've kicked around buying one of those rifles and having it rechambered into 45/120 like "Matthew Quiglys" and then I noticed the chamber pressure dropped from 38,000 PSIG DOWN to 19,800!!- so yeah I need an extra 18" of barrel to make up the velocity difference! Then I just scrapped the whole idea.

We already have 30/30's in the family, but I don't have one, so it's not opening a new caliber to us, it's just giving me the same toys my kids have. :)

That'll work- expand and read the whole thing of what I've written

Last Edited:
Thanks for the roof mount advice! :) I'll look into the mastic. I have a 6' tall tri-pod designed to hold the 10' pole. It's got 3 feet angled for roof pitch mounting, I'm just worried that my roof won't be strong enough to hold it, and my attic is chock full of insulation, so I can't just crawl up there and reinforce it. I like the guy wire idea.

The largest caliber I have is 30.06.

I kinda figured the 45/70 would be a good toe in the water for big bores. :)

Maybe someday I'll get all Quigly crazy :) For now I'll just dream of starting out somewhere. (I don't even have the budget to start yet!)

I had to go back and check if this was rifle discussion or "what did you do to prep"
Man talk about getting off topic.
Hey there is a reload section here too

Oh yeah,I'm rebuilding my living quarters to use less energy this winter

Hey Mjbskwim,

That's some fairly unconstructive and no more on topic feedback than anything else on page 227. I see less value in that post than I do in the 7 preceding it.

The purpose of this thread, in fact the stated purpose of this specific thread is to share what you are doing to prep in an effort to help others learn helpful tips in how to prep.

Discussing the virtues of configuring your firearms collection in compatible calibers is HUGELY important in a collapse situation as you can keep more firearms going using the same components. (Discussing low cost yet reliable firearms are of large benefit to those prepping on a budget as well.)

Discussing the best way to mount antennas keeps critical communications going when cell phones stop working.

It's not like we're talking about football scores.

I'm not even going to pretend this particular post had to do with prepping other than to say your day to day communications with people definitely gives a good view into who you want near you when the S hits the F.

That reminds me, I'm replacing all my light bulbs with 15 watt LED bulbs and they are every bit as bright but consume 1/4 of the electricity. I highly recommend it.

Oh really? I was under the impression they were still in the beta testing phase- do I want to ask the obvious- "How much?" I know the florescent sucks.

Get in my belly!

142y8vc.png

This is a pic I took of my patio about 10 minutes ago. I see this periodically while sitting in my living room.

I haven't been able to take photos, but deer show up there too - they like my roses.

My windows blinds serve as my hunting blind. :D

Oh really? I was under the impression they were still in the beta testing phase- do I want to ask the obvious- "How much?" I know the florescent sucks.

Fluorescent does suck.

I saw some LED bulbs at Costco for $10 per bulb! That's a very hard pill to swallow, but since it replace about 5 lightbulbs per month, and these have a 22 year warranty (Yes, they will last 22 years or you get a free replacement!)

I bought one recessed bulb and one regular to beta test at my home.

I plugged a recessed one into one of the 12 recessed sockets in my kitchen (I go through about 2 per month in the kitchen alone) and we had a brown out within an hour. Wind had taken out a power line about 4 miles away.

All the lights in the kitchen flickered like a horror movie and dropped to almost imperceptible dimness before turning off. The LED bulb never flickered, and never dimmed. The meager power coming into the house during that brown out was enough that I wouldn't have even noticed it if I had all LED bulbs. (It of course turned off when we lost power completely)

That sold me right there.

The next time I went in they were going for $5 a piece. I buy 1 regular and 1 recessed version each trip now. I'm up to about 8.

I have pretty much replaced all of my light bulbs with either LED or CFL. I no longer buy CFL, but get the 3 pack LED at Costco when they have it on sale for under $20 (instant rebate).

I've had a few of those fail - usually within a few months, but the rest haven't and I have spares.

I like them better than CFL because they are instant on and don't need to warm up.

That said, lighting is a very small part of my electricity usage, but when I move and go to solar, it will be nice to have lighting that can easily keep going with solar only, even during the winter.

I just replaced some outdoor lights with LED's and hope the 22 year advertisement is indeed true. I get sick of changing the CFL's out every two years or so. Costco procured LED's. I too am waiting till the prices fall further to fill the whole house with these. It will be even better for generator loads during power outages because they seem to use 1/2 the power per lumen over the CFL's.

I'm a big fan of having lights on outside dusk till dawn, 7 days a week. If this deters even one bad guy even one time it is worth the meager electricity cost. Guess that is my Philadelphia upbringing talking there!

[QUOTE I'm a big fan of having lights on outside dusk till dawn, 7 days a week. If this deters even one bad guy even one time it is worth the meager electricity cost. Guess that is my Philadelphia upbringing talking there![/QUOTE]

I'm not- being former army I know the darkness is my friend- I know the turf, bad guys don't. I've already figured out in my mind fields of fire- bad guys are still asking themselves "Whot is goin' on?"

But I digress. It occurred to me that like a magician, misdirection and sleight of hand can be just as effective a deterrent as slitting a throat. I tried to put up this picture of a land mine area- sketch of "Before and After" if you scroll down. http://www.dismalworld.com/violence/landmines_in_sudan.php and it's a perfect drawing of what happens. You could also use that as a way to guide people into your chosen field of fire,,,,see where I'm going with this?

Hey Mjbskwim,

That's some fairly unconstructive and no more on topic feedback than anything else on page 227. I see less value in that post than I do in the 7 preceding it.

The purpose of this thread, in fact the stated purpose of this specific thread is to share what you are doing to prep in an effort to help others learn helpful tips in how to prep.

Discussing the virtues of configuring your firearms collection in compatible calibers is HUGELY important in a collapse situation as you can keep more firearms going using the same components. (Discussing low cost yet reliable firearms are of large benefit to those prepping on a budget as well.)

Discussing the best way to mount antennas keeps critical communications going when cell phones stop working.

It's not like we're talking about football scores.

I'm not even going to pretend this particular post had to do with prepping other than to say your day to day communications with people definitely gives a good view into who you want near you when the S hits the F.
Yes in deed
And so many times people start a conversation about there topic instead of starting a thread in the appropriate section

Kinda like
I wanted to get started in .......... so i started a thread about it in ........ section

Maybe I should start a thread about this?

I'm a big fan of having lights on outside dusk till dawn, 7 days a week. If this deters even one bad guy even one time it is worth the meager electricity cost. Guess that is my Philadelphia upbringing talking there!

I'm not a fan, at least not in the boonies where I live.

1) It lets people know your house is there. In the boonies, when the sun goes down, it is pretty dark and without exterior lights you might not even know the house is there.

2) Lights on all the time, every night, just say to me that no one is watching, maybe even no one is home - especially if the exterior lights are on but no interior lights are lit.

OTOH, if the lights are motion activated, then it makes it look not only like someone is home, but also someone might be watching.

Most of my exterior lights are motion activated.

I just replaced some outdoor lights with LED's and hope the 22 year advertisement is indeed true. I get sick of changing the CFL's out every two years or so. Costco procured LED's. I too am waiting till the prices fall further to fill the whole house with these. It will be even better for generator loads during power outages because they seem to use 1/2 the power per lumen over the CFL's.

Ditto on the motion sensor controlled outdoor lighting. You can turn them off! I hate being lit up! It's my AO and I want it dark when Im out there!:D

Yes in deed
And so many times people start a conversation about there topic instead of starting a thread in the appropriate section

Kinda like
I wanted to get started in .......... so i started a thread about it in ........ section

Maybe I should start a thread about this?

I'm trying to make heads or tails of whatever you're complaining about, but for the life of me it doesn't make any sense to me… at all.

All of the information was relevant… and certainly didn't clog up this 228 page thread.

As to brightness, what are they compared to Jack?
I used 15 watt LED lights to replace burned out 60 watt regular bulbs and they provide exactly the same amount and spectrum of light that the standard ones do, possibly a hair brighter, but not enough to make the room uneven if you don't replace them all at once.

When I get another box I'll list off the Lumens rating on it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA

New Classified Ads

Back Top