JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a general question; how do you emotionally cope with death? My wife just left to put our dog down due to cancer- I just couldn't pull the f'n trigger. I'm confused- I have no emotional problems with bad guys, or bang gangers but this is just,,,I know it's the right thing to do yet I couldn't do it. My psychiatrist is going to have a field day when we discuss "Have you been depressed lately?" Yes, I put down my service dog and I feel like sh*t and I don't have grief coping skills so I've been searching on the net trying to get some ideas.

And for you azz's out there saying "This is for prepping!" Then I'd suggest you re-evaluate your mental health condition and ask yourself some very hard questions like "Can I really pull the trigger on someone?" As it's written in the book "The Truth about Self Protection" to kill is an un-natural act and it's a survival mindset that needs to be acknowledged before you go slinging lead. Suppose you had to pull the trigger on a spouse- could you do it? Like the Doctor who ended up killing some 12 elderly patients during Katrina because they couldn't be evacuated (he was cleared of all charges).

Emotional preparation is just as important as physical, I guess is what I'm saying in a roundabout way

Oh, I forgot- I picked up my "Hi Point" 45 carbine. Awesome little carbine- light, inexpensive ($297 with tax at Marys Guns on 38th & Taylor in Tacoma) and oh man! I'm going to have to fire 200 rounds through it to "losen it up a bit"- it's as tight as that 17 year old virgin I wanted when I was 14 (and never got). Everything about this carbine is unique- even the mandatory trigger lock that must be sold is,,,,well it's hard to describe. It's plastic, it works- you can put a padlock on it but you don't need to. So we'll see when I get some range time on her

I have a general question; how do you emotionally cope with death? My wife just left to put our dog down due to cancer- I just couldn't pull the f'n trigger. I'm confused- I have no emotional problems with bad guys, or bang gangers but this is just,,,I know it's the right thing to do yet I couldn't do it. My psychiatrist is going to have a field day when we discuss "Have you been depressed lately?" Yes, I put down my service dog and I feel like sh*t and I don't have grief coping skills so I've been searching on the net trying to get some ideas.

And for you azz's out there saying "This is for prepping!" Then I'd suggest you re-evaluate your mental health condition and ask yourself some very hard questions like "Can I really pull the trigger on someone?" As it's written in the book "The Truth about Self Protection" to kill is an un-natural act and it's a survival mindset that needs to be acknowledged before you go slinging lead. Suppose you had to pull the trigger on a spouse- could you do it? Like the Doctor who ended up killing some 12 elderly patients during Katrina because they couldn't be evacuated (he was cleared of all charges).

Emotional preparation is just as important as physical, I guess is what I'm saying in a roundabout way

I've put animals down, even ones I've loved unfortunately.

There is no shame in not being "the one to do it", especially when there are other options.

My condolences on the loss of a good friend; spend your time remembering the good times and don't beat yourself up too bad.

I bought more ammo then I could fit in the .50 cal ammo cans I already have so I ordered a few more (and 30 cals) and got them in yesterday.

I emptied the boxed ammo into ziplocks to save space and filled those suckers up.

Also bought some of the large mortar containers for misc waterproof storage on stuff not needing to go into a safe - TP, rice and beans, water filters etc.

Trailtrader, I'm so sorry that you lost your friend! It's hard as heck! Time will soften the hurt and the good memories will sooth the soul!
My Lilly is almost 11 now and that's real old for a Bull Mastif. Afraid that I will soon be truly feeling your pain. Our condolences, SRG

Took an 8 hour Tactical Shotgun course with Defensive Firearms Instruction. 75+ rounds of slugs, 00 buck, bird shot, and 100 rounds of 45 acp.

The course was great, and I learned a LOT. LOTS of drills, moving while shooting, transitioning between shotgun and pistol, standing, kneeling, modified prone. Loading on the move was VERY challenging.

I also learned a lot about my gear, and what I need to change. I was using a Mossberg 500 pump with a cheap bubblegum 6 position stock that felt like I was being punched on my right cheek every time I fired. Luckily, the instructor had a backup gun that he willingly loaned me for the duration (saved my bacon).

I was also using some new SKD tactical "shell cards". Nylon shell holders with Velcro backing. EASY to pull off the gun when empty and slap a new one on. These were a suggestion of the instructor way before the class. They were inexpensive via internet, and I really like them.

The instructor spent plenty of time with he class offering insight and advice where needed. He's an Iraq Vet, and I respected his experience.

Overall, great class!

Trailtrader, there's no "Method" for dealing with death. To me it's something that just hits you and the body reacts.

The only thing I can say is don't try to override what your body is telling you, just feel it. You might go from laughing to crying to cursing and back to laughing all in the span of a minute or two. That's what your body wants to do.

Can't try to "Get over it" or speed up the healing. You'll just wake up one morning and somehow, some way, it won't be the first thing on your mind. It'll be the second thing...then the third etc.

It sucks. It's supposed to suck or you didn't make the right connections along the way.

Trailtrader, there's no "Method" for dealing with death. To me it's something that just hits you and the body reacts.

The only thing I can say is don't try to override what your body is telling you, just feel it. You might go from laughing to crying to cursing and back to laughing all in the span of a minute or two. That's what your body wants to do.

Can't try to "Get over it" or speed up the healing. You'll just wake up one morning and somehow, some way, it won't be the first thing on your mind. It'll be the second thing...then the third etc.

It sucks. It's supposed to suck or you didn't make the right connections along the way.

Thank You Jack- I needed the insight. I have a mental problem of "not being able to see the forest cause the tree's are in the way" kind of thing

Wife purchased her first firearm yesterday! Now she gets to go to school to learn how to shoot it! She got a little Sig Saur P238 in the rare "Rainbow Titanium" finish.

I bought a Kahr P-9 this evening from a member of this forum! Boy, they are a nice little pistol and this one is in great condition! Plan to give it to my granddaughter upon her return from her tour in Barain (Navy Corpsman). I think she'll like it!

PS: She will be back next year and if the transfer laws change we will do it in such manner as the law requires.

Last Edited:
Around the end of 2013 I posted on this thread that my wife had given me a Havalon Piranta skinning knife. These are the knives that use replacible surgical blades, in this case 2.75" long. Well, today I gave mine a murderous torture test. I cut, pried, scrapped and dug 6' of old caulking out of the gap between our bathtub and the floor with the knife! Wow, I love this thing! I've tried a number of different tools to get this k..p out, but only the Paranta had the sharpness, strength and flexibility to get the job done. The caulk's were a mix of old, rock like and soft and sticky. Broke two blades by extreme over bending (completely my fault) but just slipped in new blades and carried on. No damage to the knife frame and handle at all. I absolutely recommend these knives! I also like that my medical scalpel blades and some 4" skinner blades I bought fit too
( turning the knife into a non-folder, that must have the blade removed or sheathed after use).:D

The wife and I had to put down our dog 4 days ago as most of you know. Well, we got a new dog for a few reasons- neither of us have "good" hearing and sometimes can't hear people knock on the door. Second, the dog gave us someone to focus on. So we got a "mutt" off "Pierce County Death Row" in Tacoma. 3 year old Cocker, might have been purebred nobody knows- no background, she's fixed,,,,spent a total of $330 today!!

The wife and I had to put down our dog 4 days ago as most of you know. Well, we got a new dog for a few reasons- neither of us have "good" hearing and sometimes can't hear people knock on the door. Second, the dog gave us someone to focus on. So we got a "mutt" off "Pierce County Death Row" in Tacoma. 3 year old Cocker, might have been purebred nobody knows- no background, she's fixed,,,,spent a total of $330 today!!

Big bucks for a used dog! LOL! I'm sure you guys will soon come to love her.

Around the end of 2013 I posted on this thread that my wife had given me a Havalon Piranta skinning knife. These are the knives that use replacible surgical blades, in this case 2.75" long. Well, today I gave mine a murderous torture test. I cut, pried, scrapped and dug 6' of old caulking out of the gap between our bathtub and the floor with the knife! Wow, I love this thing! I've tried a number of different tools to get this k..p out, but only the Paranta had the sharpness, strength and flexibility to get the job done. The caulk's were a mix of old, rock like and soft and sticky. Broke two blades by extreme over bending (completely my fault) but just slipped in new blades and carried on. No damage to the knife frame and handle at all. I absolutely recommend these knives! I also like that my medical scalpel blades and some 4" skinner blades I bought fit too
( turning the knife into a non-folder, that must have the blade removed or sheathed after use).:D

I carry a few filet and butcher type knives in my truck all the time.My buddy told me to get 1 of those. I said I have enough knives for that application.
He bought me 1 for my birthday.He said they did 2 deer with 1 blade

I carry a few filet and butcher type knives in my truck all the time.My buddy told me to get 1 of those. I said I have enough knives for that application.
He bought me 1 for my birthday.He said they did 2 deer with 1 blade

I can easily believe that! The blades are incredibly tough and flexible and hold an edge for a loooooong time. And, they're sharp as a ...........well, scalpel!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top