JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I say it the "educated" way.

That rifle can drive tacks. :D
Drive tacks the rifle can.

1706454076131.png

Folks that use incorrect terminology then protest being educated. Caliber is simply the BORE size, NOT what the chambering is.
That one really doesn't bother me. "Caliber" can mean different things. The technically accepted meaning, as it applies to firearms, is bore diameter, but the more generally accepted meaning is the cartridge chambering.

It's so much easier to ask "What caliber?" than "For what cartridge is it chambered?"

I'm often guilty of using "caliber" to reference the cartridge, but then I also sometimes call a pistol magazine a "clip". :D

It's not ignorance or a lack of education; it's mostly just habit, with maybe some laziness as well...

That one really doesn't bother me. "Caliber" can mean different things. The technically accepted meaning, as it applies to firearms, is bore diameter, but the more generally accepted meaning is the cartridge chambering.

It's so much easier to ask "What caliber?" than "For what cartridge is it chambered?"

I'm often guilty of using "caliber" to reference the cartridge, but then I also sometimes call a pistol magazine a "clip". :D

It's not ignorance or a lack of education; it's mostly just habit, with maybe some laziness as well...
I love telling people the bullet diameter when they ask what caliber my gun is

"What's the caliber?"
"Oh wow! Is that a new bullet?"
No, you already own many

Visible confusion

Folks that use incorrect terminology then protest being educated. Caliber is simply the BORE size, NOT what the chambering is.
I had this argument years ago. I lost due to the nature of language; too many people using the common vernacular. Now even professional companies are doing it.

It is the same damn thing wit "magazine" and "clip." Despite the fact that they are very different things they still get used interchangeably, so now even retailers are starting to pick it up. One people have an official reinforcement the trend will accelerate and before long no one is going to know how to talk about old guns that use both mags and clips.

Personally I could give a F about semantics. If I understand them that's all I care about (pistol/revolver, clip/magazine, suppressor/silencer I only care what they mean not if they have the technically correct term). If they are idiot politicians that's a whole different story.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top