JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You're talking about one of my favorite firearms company, right there.
And I think you nailed it with your post. All of the RCMs are very good cartridges, but since they didn't sell well, they got chopped. Part of making money is to not lose any.
I was really pleased to see the 300 PRC come to market. I had a 375 Ruger and thought, "What a neat 30 cal this case could be." Then I compared it to a 30 Newton. Damn near the same thing! At least with the PRC new ammo is available.
I'd like to see Ruger get rid of those gawd awful muzzle brakes and pic rails. Just supply good Ruger rings like they always did...
Chamber it in 300 PRC and they would get my interest.
Don't know about you but, perhaps oddly for the Pacific Northwest, the 375 Ruger is one of my favorites. M77 Hawkeye Guide Gun with the green laminate stock. For such a large round the accuracy is impressive, 1" or less at 100. Shoots like a dream and love that shorter barrel when faced with west-side bushwacking (which seems to always be the case). Kind of an all-around, but of course a bit much for deer and not best for long elk shots, but love it all the same.

Don't know about you but, perhaps oddly for the Pacific Northwest, the 375 Ruger is one of my favorites. M77 Hawkeye Guide Gun with the green laminate stock. For such a large round the accuracy is impressive, 1" or less at 100. Shoots like a dream and love that shorter barrel when faced with west-side bushwacking (which seems to always be the case). Kind of an all-around, but of course a bit much for deer and not best for long elk shots, but love it all the same.
Mine was a first version African. Trajectory with 260-270 grain bullets nearly identical to my 30-06 and 180s. I did unsuccessfully hunt deer with it one season as my '06 was at the doctors. I ended up trading it away.

I used to have a real tack driver of a rifle, but it was ruined by adding a recoil pad. The tacks really chewed up the pad. The steel buttplate was much better.

Bruce

I had this argument years ago. I lost due to the nature of language; too many people using the common vernacular. Now even professional companies are doing it.

It is the same damn thing wit "magazine" and "clip." Despite the fact that they are very different things they still get used interchangeably, so now even retailers are starting to pick it up. One people have an official reinforcement the trend will accelerate and before long no one is going to know how to talk about old guns that use both mags and clips.
What makes it so tough with this one is that it's actually the other way around. People (and manufacturers, and retailers) have been using clip for magazine for over a hundred years. It's really only been in more recent decades that it's become a big deal. As orygun says, it's not hard to find ads and labels from the 1950's and earlier that call a magazine a clip. My WWII veteran grandfather called his 1911 magazines clips, as did the famous Elmer Keith. It's not a new thing at all, and we'll never convince everyone to use the technically correct terminology, not when the old "wrong" word has been so deeply ingrained for so long.

On the other hand, using the wrong term in WWII could get someone killed, if a soldier in a foxhole received M1 Garand clips instead of M1 Carbine magazines. I'm not a soldier though, so it's just not that important to me, and I still find myself occasionally calling a pistol magazine a clip, maybe subconsciously in memory of my grandfather?

I can't bring myself to call a rifle magazine a clip though; somehow that's different, don't really know why...

I used to have a real tack driver of a rifle, but it was ruined by adding a recoil pad. The tacks really chewed up the pad. The steel buttplate was much better.

Bruce
My old Winchester 30-06 came with a pad that was almost as hard as the steel buttplate it replaced. I switched the stock and went back to the original steel buttplate. It will drive nails, but I prefer to use it for shooting. It's not that accurate of a rifle, but good enough for any hunting likely to be done with a 30-06.
On the other hand, using the wrong term in WWII could get someone killed, if a soldier in a foxhole received M1 Garand clips instead of M1 Carbine magazines. I'm not a soldier though, so it's just not that important to me, and I still find myself occasionally calling a pistol magazine a clip, maybe subconsciously in memory of my grandfather?

I can't bring myself to call a rifle magazine a clip though; somehow that's different, don't really know why...
Agreed. Besides, it would be kind of hard to imagine a blind clip. :)

I never liked anything about the guys who came to work (before I retried) bragging and laughing about taking the wife/GF out to "teach her how to shoot" with a .44mag snubby. I suppose that's one way to make sure she'll never intrude on their range time again, knuckleheads.

Last Edited:
I never liked anything about the guys who came to work (before I retried) bragging and laughing about taking the wife/GF out to "teach her how to shoot" with a .44mag snubby. I suppose that's one way to make sure she'll never intrude on their range time again, knuckleheads.
Yeah, knuckeheads to be sure. Must really inflate their egos to see a female novice struggle with a 44 mag. It always amazes me how fragile some male egos are that they have to artificially create scenarios like that just to get perverted glee over a "weaker" person, when all the while their loser character is the real weakling.

I'm no psychoanalyst, but I've always picked up on additional traits that I dislike surfacing in those guys' personalities the more I get to know them (because some employer was paying me to be around them 40 hours a week). Could be me projecting, or maybe I just recognize a dick-head when I see one.

Last Edited:
I have started off novice shooters on big rounds, but that is only after explicitly discussing what they should expect from the round and making sure they have the basics down with a .22. I tell them if I see them flinching they are getting downgraded until they build up their comfort level enough to shoot the big stuff more safely. I am not against letting someone try if they know what they are getting themselves into, it's the malicious "joke" against a novice I take umbrage with.

Now malicious jokes against a seasoned shooter? Yeah those are fair game. I've got a 45lc/410 derringer, it shoots like a kitten with .410 but bites with a .45. I like to load up the first barrel with a .410 and the second with a .45, then hand it to a buddy to "see what they think about it." Way better than putting a surprise magnum as the last shot in a cylinder of specials.

Pro-tip; when surprising you buddies like this always make it the last shot. That way if they do drop the firearm (they shouldn't, but it does happen) it is already empty. Even when playing a prank safety needs to come first.

Collector guns.

Why don't you sissy's get out there use those tools? I bet you're the same ppl who buy a 24k gold plated snap-on wrench….
Collector guns...Could mean different things to different people.
I would consider the firearms below to be collector guns...
All get shot from time to time...the J. Henry Trade Rifle is what I used to get my last elk.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews