JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have shot a lot of wax bullets. It makes good garage practice on a rainy day.
At across the room distance the poi is very close to poa.
I don't think I would shoot them at a mirror. It would likely break the mirror.
The wax would go through both sides of a cardboard box. To catch them I used a towel hanging loosely in the box. It would punch through one side and be caught in the cloth. I put two layers of hanging cloth but I never had one go through the first layer, even after shooting a lot.
Its great practice for point shooting. Its great practice for learning to draw and shoot from a holster. When I moved to pocket carry I practiced a lot from the pocket. My local range would not let me practice there.
I would pour hot parifin in a shallow pie pan till it was about a 1/2" thick and let it harden. Then on a hot day leave it in the sun till it softened, and press primed cases into the wax, wipe any excess off the outside of the case and set then in a cool place to reharden. And they are ready to shoot.
After shooting I take the bullets out of the trap and drop them in the empty holes in your wax cake and remelt. DR

I often ponder the idea of a primer only load. Wax and plastic bullets have been recommended. Bullets made from hot glue sticks, wood dowels, etc. I saw a video where they used 22cal pellets propelled by nail gun blanks. To load the pellet they just pushed it down into the muzzle. Maybe a similiar process could be used with a 223/5.56 AR and a primer only case? Worst case is the pellet will have to be tapped out of the muzzle.

Edit: I think Rem 7.5s might be a good primer to test out this idea.

1657946219614.png

Source: https://www.6mmbr.com/primerpix.html

Last Edited:
some other discussion on different ways to use 22 pellets in 223 rifle.

Last Edited:
At 10 cents a primer, these days, this sort of thing loses the frugalness it once had.

I'd be tempted to try a nice air soft over this sort of thing.

At the begining of COVID i came across some plastic bullets for 38 and 44. Even had plastic cases as well. My buddy was cleaning his stuff out and gave em to me along with a bunch of old primers from 50's - 80's. Our deal was i sell the primers and split 50/50. So i sold half the primers and gave all the cash to him and saved the rest of the primers.

We tried the plastic bullets in a RV bay in a shop. Hit the wall 30 feet away and came back and hit the wall behind us as well. I would hesitate to try them on glass. :)

I gave 500 primers from the 50's to my niece, a bunch of plastic bullets, along with a M&P revolver from her grandpa and told her to practice safely.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top