JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have shot a lot of wax bullets. It makes good garage practice on a rainy day.
At across the room distance the poi is very close to poa.
I don't think I would shoot them at a mirror. It would likely break the mirror.
The wax would go through both sides of a cardboard box. To catch them I used a towel hanging loosely in the box. It would punch through one side and be caught in the cloth. I put two layers of hanging cloth but I never had one go through the first layer, even after shooting a lot.
Its great practice for point shooting. Its great practice for learning to draw and shoot from a holster. When I moved to pocket carry I practiced a lot from the pocket. My local range would not let me practice there.
I would pour hot parifin in a shallow pie pan till it was about a 1/2" thick and let it harden. Then on a hot day leave it in the sun till it softened, and press primed cases into the wax, wipe any excess off the outside of the case and set then in a cool place to reharden. And they are ready to shoot.
After shooting I take the bullets out of the trap and drop them in the empty holes in your wax cake and remelt. DR

I often ponder the idea of a primer only load. Wax and plastic bullets have been recommended. Bullets made from hot glue sticks, wood dowels, etc. I saw a video where they used 22cal pellets propelled by nail gun blanks. To load the pellet they just pushed it down into the muzzle. Maybe a similiar process could be used with a 223/5.56 AR and a primer only case? Worst case is the pellet will have to be tapped out of the muzzle.

Edit: I think Rem 7.5s might be a good primer to test out this idea.

1657946219614.png

Source: https://www.6mmbr.com/primerpix.html

Last Edited:
some other discussion on different ways to use 22 pellets in 223 rifle.

Last Edited:
At 10 cents a primer, these days, this sort of thing loses the frugalness it once had.

I'd be tempted to try a nice air soft over this sort of thing.

At the begining of COVID i came across some plastic bullets for 38 and 44. Even had plastic cases as well. My buddy was cleaning his stuff out and gave em to me along with a bunch of old primers from 50's - 80's. Our deal was i sell the primers and split 50/50. So i sold half the primers and gave all the cash to him and saved the rest of the primers.

We tried the plastic bullets in a RV bay in a shop. Hit the wall 30 feet away and came back and hit the wall behind us as well. I would hesitate to try them on glass. :)

I gave 500 primers from the 50's to my niece, a bunch of plastic bullets, along with a M&P revolver from her grandpa and told her to practice safely.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top