JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I finished an older (1968) book on handgun shooting entitled The Handbook of Handgunning: New Concepts in Pistol and Revolver Shooting, by Paul B. Weston. In said text, on more than one occasion, the author recommends the usage of wax bullets propelled by a primer as a training tool, and states that most sporting good stores carry them. In one section he even recommends practicing in front of a mirror and shooting said object with the aforementioned paraffin projectiles.

Out of curiosity, was this a common training tool back in that era? Anyone so use such methodology? Just wondering; thanks!

Last Edited:
I had forgotten about those things until I read this. Seems like someone came out with some kind of hard plastic or such ammo for this a good while back. Easy to load in a primed shell with the same idea, indoor practice. I was interested for while but was warned that (at least back then) primers also had lead? So some were saying they were concerned about lead contamination in the home using these. Been a good long time now so can't remember what all was being said and I never got around to trying some. Of course now days with the price of primers? :D

Still seems like it might be kind of fun to play with when primers are no longer like hens teeth.
See my thread on them!

So, I finished an older (1968) book on handgun shooting entitled The Handbook of Handgunning: New Concepts in Pistol and Revolver Shooting, by Paul B. Weston. In said text, on more than one occasion, the author recommends the usage of wax bullets propelled by a primer as a training tool, and states that most sporting good stores carry them. In one section he even recommends practicing in front of a mirror and shooting said object with the aforementioned paraffin projectiles.

Out of curiosity, was this a common training tool back in that era? Anyone so use such methodology? Just wondering; thanks!
I remember seeing a mirror target where most of the mirror was covered by a silhouette and the gun hand area had a circle cut out. Can't remember it's purpose but I seem to recall it being part of a core training for police or? Seems like it was earlier than the 60's though. I'll see if I can find it.

Re wax bullets, will they cycle a semi auto? Not sure I see the benefit. If one users laser or dry fire practice there is no noise so u can do it on your house or wherever. If you use wax bullets it will have noise just like regular ammo so why not use regular ammo? Must be for lead dust or cost of lead or not having an adequate bullet trap?

I used to know a couple fast draw 6 gun guys that said they used to train with wax plugs driven by primers. Balloon targets @ 10' or so. Impressive times.

I remember seeing a mirror target where most of the mirror was covered by a silhouette and the gun hand area had a circle cut out. Can't remember it's purpose but I seem to recall it being part of a core training for police or? Seems like it was earlier than the 60's though. I'll see if I can find it.

Re wax bullets, will they cycle a semi auto? Not sure I see the benefit. If one users laser or dry fire practice there is no noise so u can do it on your house or wherever. If you use wax bullets it will have noise just like regular ammo so why not use regular ammo? Must be for lead dust or cost of lead or not having an adequate bullet trap?
Here is the image I had in my head. Not sure if the mirror training method was from this Jelly Bryce fellow or Mike Conti but I assume it was Bryce. No idea if it involved wax bullets or not.

5084F1DF-C5E8-4326-BC5B-5BD2D9C61382.jpeg
BAE7E0FA-F364-4AAA-895E-3F42D3F30D63.jpeg

Cartridges where a wax or plastic bullet is powered by the primer only aren't going to have recoil. And presumably they don't cycle a semiautomatic action. And don't shoot to the same point of aim as real ammo. Anything they might accomplish can be done better now with laser devices, I would think.

I don't see much on the mirror training method. This 60's fbi film shows it at the 12:10 mark and it appears to be in reference to hip shooting DA revolvers and possibly loading and unloading. Dryfire only in the video fwiw.

Edit: from this article it appears Bryce used the mirror training for draw practice. Perhaps the wax on mirror is a way to practice hip shooting and to figure out where your shots hit (maybe on a moving target ie yourself in the mirror?). Just WAGS.

Funny I was looking for almost the same thing, timing my draw and figuring out where I hit with a laser "round" (but not "hip" or point shooting). The $30ish Itarget app you can have ur phone use anything as a target and it times your draw and shows you a picture of where you hit. Maybe it can be pointed at a mirror for a target. Seems like it should work. Have to try it someday.

Last Edited:
I had, for years, used the Speer plastic bullets and wax bullets in my, "Garage Shoot outs", but now the cost of primers has forced me into pellet and Air-Soft replicas for my garage training. :)

*Note: Firing primers without proper ventilation could prove harmful to your health. :(

Cartridges where a wax or plastic bullet is powered by the primer only aren't going to have recoil. And presumably they don't cycle a semiautomatic action. And don't shoot to the same point of aim as real ammo. Anything they might accomplish can be done better now with laser devices, I would think.
I launched an ol' tomcat once with a Speer plastic bullet to the rump.
He went straight up about 3 feet and hit the ground going full throttle.
You can't do that with a laser.

:)

Racoons on the porch, Stray dogs crapping on your new lawn, the list is endless. :s0093:
I even hit an early morning mocking bird in the head with a wax bullet out of my 45/70. :(
Broke its neck and I had a heck of a time getting it down before my mother saw it. :rolleyes:

Here is the image I had in my head. Not sure if the mirror training method was from this Jelly Bryce fellow or Mike Conti but I assume it was Bryce. No idea if it involved wax bullets or not.

View attachment 1211086
View attachment 1211087
The picture above did appear in this book.

HipShooting.jpg

On the following page it says "In shooting wax bullets at a mirrored reflection, the results are scored by looking for the visual impact and wax smudge .... Clean off the wax smudges on the mirror with solvent and a rag."

The picture above did appear in this book.

View attachment 1211109

On the following page it says "In shooting wax bullets at a mirrored reflection, the results are scored by looking for the visual impact and wax smudge .... Clean off the wax smudges on the mirror with solvent and a rag."
Ah that makes sense. Hip shooting before lasers. Good info!

Fwiw I keep a laser round in one gun most all the time at home just for fun to practice point shooting. Kind of fun and you can get pretty good at at (as long as you don't stop practicing cuz it takes a bit to re-learn if you do). Even laying down you can hit most anything pretty close without ever seeing the sites. Not sure I would want to try it in a stressful situation though. But it does help in sort of "intuitively" knowing where the gun is aiming (I think Rob Leatham would call it the natural point of aim). Fe when doing a fast draw and putting 2 fast shots on target.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top