JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seems like a little light filing would resolve the extractor / barrel issue, and potentially the lockup issue (if there is one).

But what changed that caused the contact?

Rhetorical ;)

IDK......sometimes that's a slippery slope.
Instead of filing , first try to find out why ......one so you can replace the parts causing this, two so it doesn't happen again.
you could file and fix it but a firearm usually operate with tolerances of thousands of an inch, unless its a Glock...several thousands. You could make a square edge round rendering the gun really useless or create more replacement parts..........$0.02

I'd be tempted to just barely clean up the barrel as it headspaces off/via the hood.. just clean up the "high"/raised from original dimensions spots. And then eyeball the extractor and maybe touch that with a file/stone where it's gouging the hood.
Velzey (sp?) is a gunsmithing member here and contributes to threads often. Since you have such good pictures of this gouging/scraping situation, I'd send him a link and see what he thought.

I recognize that 'tinkering' could certainly make the situation worse, and there are almost no parts available.

That said, I might take certaindeaf's approach.

Thanks for posting the primer only pictures
Firing pin penetrates too deep (design to compensate for inconsistent ignition?).
Maybe use a stiffer firing pin return spring?
Maybe something with the firing pin stop pin and/or firing pin?

Post 74, nice pictures!
Barrel damaged by extractor
Slide and extractor pretty much are immobile, ruled out.
Damage suggests barrel moves where it should not be moving
Barrel, barrel link pin, barrel link, receiver, slide stop, recoil spring guide?
Recoil spring guide improperly re-installed?

A manufacture discontinued gun.
Few replacement parts available.

During cleaning (disassembly / assembly) I noticed no slop / irregularities in the linkage / pin / frame.

Pulling the slide back slowly (figuring out where the disconnect kicked in), I could see the barrel being pulled down into the extractor.

What's been written about this gun seems to be the case - a mediocre design that was poorly executed.

It took about an hour, and I'm no gunsmith :D

At lockup the extractor just clears the hood.

barrelwork2_zpsc2yylx7a.jpg

barrelwork1_zps7id1ah0x.jpg

barrelwork3_zpssgxueos4.jpg

barrelwork4_zpsq0g2bnqf.jpg

Last Edited:
I was able to fire off a few rounds today - Both 7.6gr CSB-1 147gr, and Blazer 200gr.

With the magazine full the gun functioned flawlessly, and did something it's never done before, throw all the brass to same spot (it's usually ALL over the place).

While it's a VERY limited test, it's encouraging.

brass10mm_zpsv0lbrxsg.jpg

blazer_zpschzfcnzm.jpg

I'd still get Velzey on the job.. maybe he's a savant. He seems very nice and helpful.
Those Blazer "smears/leaves" of the firing pin indicate something (that's not right) and the Underwood just looks nasty (lol). It's still better but hey, we're a picky bunch. A ruptured/holed primer is still unacceptable.. hate to say it.

Good evening!

Don't live fire this anymore unless your wearing a face shield...And gloves!

Firing pin protusion?what is it at?
Does this thing have a 35lb hammer spring in it? Plus a slightly oversized fp thru hole...

This photo is disturbing...
brass10mm_zpsv0lbrxsg.jpg

Ok I see more photos a back a page.. Its firing partially out of battery!

Post a photo of the locking lugs (top view) of the barrel. And a photo of the lug recesses that are cut into the slide...

Good evening!

Don't live fire this anymore unless your wearing a face shield...And gloves!

Firing pin protusion?what is it at?
Does this thing have a 35lb hammer spring in it? Plus a slightly oversized fp thru hole...

This photo is disturbing...
View attachment 231054

Thanks for joining the conversation velzey, it's appreciated!

Firing pin / hole condition was shown in post 50 of this thread - I'm not sure if the pics are helpful or not.

I actually wear a full face shield when firing this gun, really.

I can't comment on spring strength, though believe all parts are original.

Thank again :)

Thank you for posting very nice photos! No excessive wear!

Barrel link and pin, look ok? Also need to check firing pin, I see it in a photo. But I suspect it to long and needs to be fitted.

Thank you for posting very nice photos! No excessive wear!

Barrel link and pin, look ok? Also need to check firing pin, I see it in a photo. But I suspect it to long and needs to be fitted.

There appears to be no wear / slop in the link / pin / frame hole.

The firing pin may need to be fitted, but doesn't it look like it's unlocking early?

I'm learning as I go :)

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top