JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I usually don't load 9mm. They have been cheap enough not to worry about. But with things the way they are now - I set out today to try out my first handloads for my G19.
The recoil was the most I ever felt in a 9mm.

Blue Dot 7.9 grains
Berry's 124 grain FMJ

I got this recipe straight from Alliant.

Just a heads up - This is a Hot Load!

BRY00335-e1575640473813.jpg

I usually don't load 9mm. They have been cheap enough not to worry about. But with things the way they are now - I set out today to try out my first handloads for my G19.
The recoil was the most I ever felt in a 9mm.

Blue Dot 7.9 grains
Berry's 124 grain FMJ

I got this recipe straight from Alliant.

Just a heads up - This is a Hot Load!
You realize they post the MAX load on that?

If it were me, I'd drop down quite a bit and work up. I think that's a very hot +P load there.

You realize they post the MAX load on that?

If it were me, I'd drop down quite a bit and work up. I think that's a very hot +P load there.
I did not know that was a max load. I do now.
Seems wrong to post only a max load.
I have done some research, and found on other forums that people are using 6 to 7 grains. This sounds like a new plan I will follow.

first off 124 gr Speer GDHP 7.9 of blue dot is going 1,238
with berry's saying Max Velocity: 1250 fps

also if your loading ball ammo they dont list blue dot for 124 FMJ
and what they have listed is right around 1,000 fps

I've never liked Alliant's recipes. Because they start at the top, which is counterintuitive to other sources of data. The predecessor company was Hercules, and they did the same thing in their little paper pamphlet. Below all the pistol and revolver data, the tiny words, "start with 10% less powder than shown." Seems azz-backwards to me but saves on type setting.

I've never liked any of the Alliant flake powders for 9mm. Like Blue Dot. Because it has an inherently small internal capacity and the flake powders are fluffy. Better choices are just about any of the appropriate ball powders, but in times of shortage you use what you've got, I guess.

The old Hercules data from 1-1984 shows a 9mm recommendation for "124 FMC, Blue Dot 8.0 gr., 1185 fps, 29,500 c.u.p." With ther 10% reduction note. Which would be a starting load of 7.2 gr. and a lower velocity.

Blue Dot has a reputation for performing best at higher pressures. It also has a reputation for being fussy. Such as tends to burn dirty / erratically in lighter charges. Tends to pressure spike quickly in the top end. Alliant flake pistol powders don't meter as well as other choices. I've used BD in what I thought were inappropriate applications, like 9mm and .45 ACP. It did okay, but only okay. In the past, it was a go-to powder for .41 Magnum, but Alliant put out an advisory not to use it in .41 anymore. It seemed to work well in my .41 Mags, but somebody must've had issues somewhere for the maker to do that.

I've never liked Alliant's recipes. Because they start at the top, which is counterintuitive to other sources of data. The predecessor company was Hercules, and they did the same thing in their little paper pamphlet. Below all the pistol and revolver data, the tiny words, "start with 10% less powder than shown." Seems azz-backwards to me but saves on type setting.

I've never liked any of the Alliant flake powders for 9mm. Like Blue Dot. Because it has an inherently small internal capacity and the flake powders are fluffy. Better choices are just about any of the appropriate ball powders, but in times of shortage you use what you've got, I guess.

The old Hercules data from 1-1984 shows a 9mm recommendation for "124 FMC, Blue Dot 8.0 gr., 1185 fps, 29,500 c.u.p." With ther 10% reduction note. Which would be a starting load of 7.2 gr. and a lower velocity.

Blue Dot has a reputation for performing best an higher pressures. It also has a reputation for being fussy. Such as tends to burn dirty / erratically in lighter charges. Tends to pressure spike quickly in the top end. Alliant flake pistol powders don't meter as well as other choices. I've used BD in what I thought were inappropriate applications, like 9mm and .45 ACP. It did okay, but only okay. In the past, it was a go-to powder for .41 Magnum, but Alliant put out an advisory not to use it in .41 anymore. It seemed to work well in my .41 Mags, but somebody must've had issues somewhere for the maker to do that.
I have used Blue Dot for many years to reload for .40 and 10mm.
I chose it for safety reasons.
It fills up the case to a point where accidental overcharging, is almost impossible. After I charge, I do a second visual inspection of the powder height in the case, before seating.

Some powders, like Titegroup, are easy to double charge. I have never overcharged a load, and I pray that I never do.

When l first got into reloading as a young stud back in 1992, the first thing l reloaded for was .357 magnum, l chose blue dot because in the Speer manual my kit came with, blue dot posted the highest velocity and was ready available, made a nice fireball too.

Last Edited:
first off 124 gr Speer GDHP 7.9 of blue dot is going 1,238
with berry's saying Max Velocity: 1250 fps

also if your loading ball ammo they dont list blue dot for 124 FMJ
and what they have listed is right around 1,000 fps
It would seem to me that the mass, 124 grains, is what is important. As well as COL.

I know that ballistics is often counter intuitive. Please enlighten me. Would the MV change in a meaningful fashion - if I used FMJ verses HP?

Last Edited:
3.5 gr. Bullseye behind a 145gr Keith HP. I know I could load a bomb in a .38 Spl. case, so I load them one at a time with my RCBS jr. ;)

That way the only one hurt when the gun goes off is that poor bunny out there. :rolleyes:

3.5 gr. Bullseye behind a 145gr Keith HP. I know I could load a bomb in a .38 Spl. case, so I load them one at a time with my RCBS jr. ;)

That way the only one hurt when the gun goes off is that poor bunny out there. :rolleyes:
I have noted that 38 is like that - a heck of a lot of case capacity!

When l first got into reloading as a young stud back in 1992, the first thing l reloaded for was .357 magnum, l chose blue dot because in the Speer manual my kit came with, blue dot posted the highest velocity and was ready available, made a nice fireball too.
Yum! Fireball's! Especially at night!

It would seem to me that the mass, 124 grains, is what is important. As well as COL.

I know that ballistics is often counter intuitive. Please enlighten me. Would the MV change in a meaningful fashion - if I used FMJ verses HP?
blue dot for GDHP load coal 1.12 for FMJ non blue dot it list coal @ 1.12
given that it has a coal of 1.12 for a shorter HP any change in COAL for using a fmj will change the velocity
and with BD it can change it drastically in a bad way, just saying
The Speer 124 G.D. bullet is .561" long
berry's is 124 fmj .588 ergo if you load to the GDHP length of 1.12
you have another 27 thou down in the case etc etc

blue dot for GDHP load coal 1.12 for FMJ non blue dot it list coal @ 1.12
given that it has a coal of 1.12 for a shorter HP any change in COAL for using a fmj will change the velocity
and with BD it can change it drastically in a bad way, just saying
The Speer 124 G.D. bullet is .561" long
berry's is 124 fmj .588 ergo if you load to the GDHP length of 1.12
you have another 27 thou down in the case etc etc
Nice! You are detail oriented. A most desired quality for a re-loader.
I appreciate your work!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads