JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I test loads
Each set starts in a labeled sandwich ziplock
Fired over a chronograph
Notes included for each set (bullet, powder type and amount, group size, velocity, etc).
Set cases and notes back into the sandwich bag(s)
I should have bought stock in Ziplock years ago

IMG_0189_zps716a8370.jpg

I am sure there is some value to a chronograph but I don't believe one is 'playing with fire' if not using one. I have been reloading for a LONG time and never used or owned one - yet at the same time never have experienced anything like you are, or problems like anyone else has for that matter. It is my belief (and experience) most reloading problems are from a lack of attention to details, not following established load data and a myriad of other self-inflicted mistakes - one being the mot often unreasonable need to load to the highest velocity attainable - and have know those who had admittedly exceeded established data to do so. What few mistakes I have made I discovered before firing the ammo and corrected them.
Other than I sternly believe in knowing velocity to detect spikes and such when ladder testing and working up loads

If everyone stuck to your statement 100% then I think there would never be issues in the process of reloading baring manufacture defects out of your controls but there are many a slip between a cup and a lip they say, a chrono is one of those tools that removes a sliver of human arrogance from the formula, I always share my story of complacency with fellow reloader, if one person catches an error because they remember my stupid a$$ then great.......if you want to laugh about it that's great too, I do lol

This thread has great observations and opinions. But,
Wish Benchrest had started out with a problem statement
Benchrest's Wyoming Arms Parker 10 mm, extract, eject issue
Parker design has function issues that weren't fixed.
Does it cycle with factory loaded 10 mm?
Only cycles with hot loads?
Firing pin hole enlarged? (expensive fix)
To start, I would:
choose a factory loaded cartridge and stay with it.
Shoot to test function. FTEE?
Stone and polish Parker's bearing surfaces, lube.
Recoil spring stiff?
Maybe (if your Parker is has a 5 inch barrel) replace the recoil spring with a 1911 spring and re-test.
Consider the Parker as a collector that has disappointing performance and sell or display it.

(removed "instead of cuteness")

Last Edited:
I'll continue testing handloads, and try a few factory loads.

I'll pick up a few 1911 springs and try those as well.

This thread has great observations and opinions. But,
Wish Benchrest had started out with a problem statement instead of "cuteness"
Benchrest's Wyoming Arms Parker 10 mm, extract, eject issue
Parker design has function issues that weren't fixed.
Does it cycle with factory loaded 10 mm?
Only cycles with hot loads?
Firing pin hole enlarged? (expensive fix)
To start, I would:
choose a factory loaded cartridge and stay with it.
Stone and polish Parker's bearing surfaces, lube.
Recoil spring stiff?
Maybe (if your Parker is has a 5 inch barrel) replace the recoil spring with a 1911 spring and re-test.
Consider the Parker as a collector that has disappointing performance and sell or display it.

Last Edited:
Benchrest, I know you said it'd be a while 'til you got to the range again but when you do, I'd be interested to see how this condition is somehow finally resolved!

The pictures below represent a sample of what was shot through the Parker today. All charges were weighed to the tenth, CCI large pistol used. The most extreme spread (for any load) was 90fps.

I have a feeling the 1st picture says a lot, just not sure what's causing the discrepancy in primer condition.

I also discovered that (for 9 of the 10 loads fired today) if only three rounds were loaded in the magazine, the gun functioned perfectly...

10mm-1_zpsoxu1aqo9.jpg

10mm-2_zpsk5zxwucb.jpg

10mm-3_zps2tqsrcte.jpg

10mm-4_zpsdmiknvd3.jpg

nasty, you positive that feed ramp or lede isn't causing some sort of set back ?

Crap... I meant to measure OAL after chambering.

Setback could certainly explain pressure issues, but wouldn't a variance that great show up on the chrono?

I guess if the load was near max it wouldn't.

not sure how much would show in the chrono wit the 10mm......I think if you really shot a bunch of that load a knew it well you might see something in the chrono

what I do know is 10mm is one of , if not the #1 round to watch for. Even the slightest set back can cause big problems if you are loading on the edge of full boat 10mm

it really is a magnum round pushing the envelope of the design of the case and the design of the weapons it is put in

the only other thing I can pick up on is that the firing pin in your pistol looks really long, but I am not at all familiar with that firearm so it could be normal for all I know

OK what I am noticing in all the pictures is the blow back/burnt powder on the case is of differing lengths. Notice in this pic that the light primer strikes are on the one with the most dirt and the blow out primer is on the one with the least amount. The first group of pics in the thread seemed to be after cleaning as all of that brass was clean and shiny so it was not visible.

Are you using a case length gauge to verify chamber fit and if not have you randomly checked loaded rounds in the pistol itself. Are you using a factory crimp die or ? I use a factory crimp to help avoid set back as well as bulging. 10mm-3_zps2tqsrcte.jpg

Thanks for the input guys - getting to the bottom of this has been a stubborn priority of mine, be it the gun, my reloading practices, or both.

I did spot check twice-fired fired brass (not from this group, they're still in the tumbler) for length - NON Norma brands measured .980 - .981 (SAAMI spec is .992 -.010), while Norma brass measured .984 - .986.

New unfired Starline measured .985 - .986.

My simple LEE cutter sized them to .980 -.981.

My next step is to duplicate a few of the pictured loads, chamber them (safety on), and measure OAL.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top