JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bear in mind that plated bullets have a different coefficient of friction than do bullets jacketed with the usual "gilding metal." If that coefficient is higher, pressures will be higher. If that max load was based on a jacketed or lead bullet, you may be exceeding maximum pressures. G19, you say? Supported chamber? I hope so. Even if, I would keep an eye on that "Bermuda crescent" where cases blow out.

Bear in mind that plated bullets have a different coefficient of friction than do bullets jacketed with the usual "gilding metal." If that coefficient is higher, pressures will be higher. If that max load was based on a jacketed or lead bullet, you may be exceeding maximum pressures. G19, you say? Supported chamber? I hope so. Even if, I would keep an eye on that "Bermuda crescent" where cases blow out.
Good Stuff! I did not know that. Thank You for the input!

G19 Gen4

I did inspect the spent cases/primers and saw no signs of overpressure. However, I'm not someone who likes to push the envelope. I'm going to play it safe and just pull the small batch of remaining cartridges, and reload using less charge. I have no need for speed.

It was never my intention to create a hot load. The main purpose of this post, was to highlight my surprise about Alliant posting load data on the internet, and they did not indicate this was the upper limit! It was the ONLY load data given.

I recently bought a new home and am not completely unpacked yet, I seem to have misplaced my re - loading manual. The manual gives me upper and lower limits, and I always start at lower limits.

I am very fond of my hands/etc.!

It would seem to me that the mass, 124 grains, is what is important. As well as COL.

I know that ballistics is often counter intuitive. Please enlighten me. Would the MV change in a meaningful fashion - if I used FMJ verses HP?
Simply put,
Changes in Bullet shape/design can change how much bullet is in the case, changing case volume, changing PRESSURE, at any given COL.
Different bullet shape/design of the SAME material can significantly change how much bullet is in contact with the barrel, changing the amount of pressure needed to move the bullet through the bore.

Joe

Glad there was no damage or serious issues. FYI, if you took the info from Alliant from their online reloader guide, this is in bold right above where you click to enter the guide:

REDUCE RIFLE AND HANDGUN CHARGE WEIGHTS BY 10% TO ESTABLISH A STARTING LOAD.

Some companies have posted loading data on the canisters in the past with the same information. For me, this is why I always try to look at two or three resources (get that you are still packed). There is an older Speer guide that many loads are extremely hot when compared to even other guides of the same time period. I have this book marked to triple check if I ever use it.

Agree as others have stated that COAL is critical in 9mm. A FMJ that seats deeper will be a totally different pressure animal than a shorter HP. I can't get Berry's 147 grain bullet to fit in my chambers anywhere close to their stated length; have 50 siting on my bench to pull because I didn't think they would be a problem...but they were.

Thanks for sharing your "learning opportunity" OP, it is how we all keep learning!

Something else to keep in mind, and it's something I only learned recently in an email exchange with a Sierra tech. It isn't just weight and profile that determines safe charge levels with jacketed bullets, it's also the design of the jacket itself. This conversation was in regards to a particular rifle bullet that I couldn't find load data for, and the tech suggested I use data for a different but heavier bullet. When I asked why not a lighter bullet with a similar bearing area, he said it had to do with the jacket design and thickness of the 2 different bullets. I've since learned this has a lot to do with the seemingly random differences in charge weights from different load data sources. Makes sense, but who knew :s0092:? Later, and let's be careful out there!

Dave

It was also suggested to me as a new reloader to use Blue Dot for 9mm to avoid a possible powder overfill. I purchased some, but never used it because of the comments regarding "fireballs" and I sometimes shoot at an indoor range and I just did not want that...
You mentioned "For pistol - factory loads have always exceeded my skill". I have found reloading recipes that are more accurate in my gun than I can buy at retail (at least at a reasonable cost).

It was also suggested to me as a new reloader to use Blue Dot for 9mm to avoid a possible powder overfill.
This is a reasonable suggestion but it limits your load choices and other powders you may want to use.

I think its a better idea to just be prudent with your loading procedures and ensure you have a good system for double checking your powder levels in the cases.

There was a time when I loaded more .38 Special than any other pistol round with 3.5 grains of Bullseye and .38 cases are certainly longer than 9mm and more difficult to check powder levels however I was always careful and never had a problem.

It fills up the case to a point where accidental overcharging, is almost impossible.
Yes, for cases with more capacity than 9mm. Somehow, down through the years, I've avoided doubling a charge using all powders I've selected. An issue with bulky powders is how they dispense. They bridge more easily in the powder measure, which can lead to one charge being light, the following being over but not necessarily doubled. Which might not be as easy to notice. I don't know too many reloaders who weigh individual 9mm charges, but no doubt there are some.

The light charge resulting from powder bridging can also be considered a safety issue if it results in a bullet stuck in the bore.

with BD it can change it drastically in a bad way, just saying
Yes to this, re-emphasizing the issue I mentioned above referring to one of Blue Dot's peculiarities. More pronounced with the small case capacity of 9mm.

Yes to the several comments above re. bullet substitution of one design for another without due regard to how it affects case capacity. A common, I think, practice with rookie reloaders. Once again, especially important to consider when case internal capacity is limited.

Get a book.

The Lyman #49 and #50 show a max load of 6.6 g Blue Dot under a 147 grain Total-Metal-Jacket. In THIER test they got a velocity of 1052 fps. Speer #14 shows 5.8g Blue Dot for 1001 velocity. You need to have a book, no, two books, and a "powder burn rate chart" so you can have some idea of what's going on inside that gun when you shoot your reloads loads. In my mind, Blue Dot is a fast powder. Under a heavy (for the gun) bullet. You could have quite a pressure spike with such a fast powder. A slower powder (should/could) be much more forgiving. My personal favorite for 9mm, and .40 is HS6. It burns well in those small higher pressure rounds. And takes a little more time getting the bullet up to speed which, in my mind, helps to lessen the possibility of pressure spikes.

Read a reloading book several times before you kill yourself and those around you.
That's a little overblown, don't you think? I mean kabooming your gun, eye injuries/losses and fingers re-arranged on your hands or floor is the most likely to happen. :D

And Speer # 9 shows 8.4 grains (max load) of Blue Dot with a 125 grain JSP bullet for 1170 FPS.
Whaaaat? I've heard they've tamed loads over the years for liability reasons, presumably. But that sounds way too much. But I've never used blue Dot, so not sure how it runs.

One thing to watch out for is a different bullet shape of even the same weight will have a different COAL and that will affect pressures.
Very true. And some bullets have more bearing surface because of the bullet shape, this will also influence pressures.

And the barrel design and tolerances will also influence pressure. I once had a barrel on a rifle in which factory ammo created pressure problems.

I said it was a hot load. Using published load data. Not an overcharged load.
as stated
if you used HP COAL and grain of powder and loaded a FMJ ball the the aforementioned length and weight,

then yes according to alliant data you
#1 loaded blue dot for a load they do not have for 124 FMJ ball
and
#2 over pressured the round by sticking.027 more in the case with the FMJ vs the HP
#3 hence the stern warnings

I have reloaded 9 mm with Blue Dot for many years. Fills the case nice but it is flashy. Since then I have
found several different powders that work better and is not as dirty. When I start a load I list different
charge weights from bullet and powder manufactures data for that particular bullet weight. But as others have
noted different bullet profiles and materials such as jacketed, plated and lead make a difference. I use the
One Book/ One Caliber Reloading Manual. Some manufactures like Hornady are very conservative on charge
weights of Blue Dot compared to others.
s-l225.webp

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top