JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Or is it that the pin is too long / isn't returning quickly enough.

Just trying to understand the possible mechanics behind the "smear".

Oh, have you done "the plunk test"? If proper rounds are sitting way way low, the headspace right there/proper would be screwed up and not necessarily the lockup relating to headspacing.

Oh, have you done "the plunk test"? If proper rounds are sitting way way low, the headspace right there/proper would be screwed up and not necessarily the lockup relating to headspacing.

I think I'm following... Drop various factory & hand loaded cartridges into the barrel, and measure base in relation to the back of the hood?

Sorry if I'm way off, coffee hasn't quite kicked in yet :D

Handloaders do the "plunk test" to make sure their rounds are acceptable regarding their individual chamber. You'd use a standard factory load to check the headspace though.

1911BULLETGAUGE.jpg

The reason I bring it up is really doing research for your pistol. Never really would have known otherwise.
It seems that your pistol was intended to shoot .40 also and when these boys did, they holed primers.
So If you're shooting 10 in a 10 and holing primers, I figured the headspace proper might be off.
If you click on those little pictures, you can read the magazine article text..
http://www.bren-ten.com/website/id59.html
I'd do the plunk test.. most reloaders do but with handloads.

Handloaders do the "plunk test" to make sure their rounds are acceptable regarding their individual chamber. You'd use a standard factory load to check the headspace though.

View attachment 231099

Pre-coffee Derp o_O on my part.

Yes, I've done the plunk test on my hand loads, but don't recall ever checking factory loads

I'll recheck this evening.

Well to give you credit, no one really does the plunk with factory or go/no-go gauges.. it's essentially assumed that the headspace is correct. Just a thought for something to do.
This thread is turning into an epic saga for the ages. I love a who-done-it as well as the next guy and this thread delivers!

Also you need to do one thing at a time here..
And I don't mean this in anyway to put down your hand loading skills.. I've seen allot of small problems caused by simple hand loading errors.
Stick with factory ammo until it's running right!

Also you need to do one thing at a time here..
And I don't mean this in anyway to put down your hand loading skills.. I've seen allot of small problems caused by simple hand loading errors.
Stick with factory ammo until it's running right!

I recognize the importance one-step-at-time, and do try to adhere to that.

If only I didn't have the patience of a 4 year old!

OK, I did a little reading - while I don't have Go / No Go gauges, I was able to determine .014 of slop in the lugs.

With the barrel lugs in the slide, pushed rearward, the hood touches the breechface. When pushed forward 14 thousandths exits between the hood & breech.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top