JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
10mm-ok_zpshy1mwp5f.jpg

10mm-warm_zpstcwz4ggr.jpg

10mm-warmer_zpsjqpzos08.jpg

10mm-hot_zps7uzavkgi.jpg

Those were pretty hot. How did the pockets fair or should I say flair........may need an extra firing pin/striker on hand.

I don't see any flattened primers. I see signs that the firing pin hole may be too large and the firing pin might be a bit too sharp, but nothing I haven't seen from lots of guns, with factory ammo.

Well, those were my first pierced primers - at least that I'm aware of.

I've loaded the same recipes that produced the above, and will collect the brass as I go.

I'm curious which load's the culprit, unfortunately it'll likely be weeks before I find out.

Great pics! My best accuracy rounds seem to lie in the middle of the range between start and max grains of powder. A Chrony is a great way to fine tune loads and experiment. Just my 2 cents.

pics 3 and 4 definately look too hot. ive loaded some "hot 38spl" for my brothers 357 mag knowing the gun is made to withstand the pressure of a 357 mag and they didnt look remotely close to pics 3 and 4. in my opinion if the casings from pic 2 were mixed in with pic 1 i would say it looks "normal" to me even with some if the strikes are "cratered" i find this to happen more often when i mass reload and dump powder from my uniflow depending on powder type.

I see some cratering, set-back, and large firing pin holes.
I think more than one firearm was involved.
Without context, it means nothing.

When I test loads
Each set starts in a labeled sandwich ziplock
Fired over a chronograph
Notes included for each set (bullet, powder type and amount, group size, velocity, etc).
Set cases and notes back into the sandwich bag(s)
Back at the workbench
Inspect under lamp and magnifier.
Conclusions entered into loading book notes for the future

There's more that I do than the above, not writing a book though.

If you don't use a chronograph, you're playing with fire

All shot from the same gun, chrono readings taken.

Just failed gather & inspect brass after testing each load.

Chrono says they're warm, but not that warm.

I've recreated the loads, and will test again.

I suppose I was expecting a rant, since there are so many on forums these days. Something like the "I loaded these to the powder maker's middle specs and got blanked primers yaddayaddayadda" sort of thing. But I guess it's a good thing to post "hot loads blank primers" as a warning or a help to the inexperienced.

Looks like obviously the loads are too hot for your particular gun. Also looks like the firing pin does not fit the firing pin hole in the breech face too well. You may need a new (bigger & fitted) firing pin and maybe a weaker firing pin return spring if your gun is so equipped, then start over with your load testing....

What kind of gun were these fired from?

what are these reloads primarily used for? just plinkin? compitition? if theyre just plinkers load them lighter and enjoy. no sense in using hot loads and usin up all your powder for plinkers

what are these reloads primarily used for? just plinkin? compitition? if theyre just plinkers load them lighter and enjoy. no sense in using hot loads and usin up all your powder for plinkers

This stubborn piece of junk, I mean gun, refuses to cycle reliably with light-medium loads.

I've tried 147-180gr bullets, Unique, Bullseye, CSB-1, Longshot, Silhouette, #7, even 700-X (I know...).

OAL is always around 1.258, except for the lead bullets, they're at 1.24.

Load near Pmax and the gun runs flawlessly, back it down and FEs almost every time o_O

im sorry about what you are experiencing . from your posts back in august it sounds like youve had nothing but trouble with this gun...maybe inadvertently limp wristing? too heavy of recoil spring? just a couple of ideas...might be time for gunsmith OR a glock 10mm... he he he.;)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads