JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The 9mmKB has been around a while. I picked up some at a gunshow several years ago.
(I no longer buy reloaded ammo)
1705827473848.jpeg

I should mention, the two empties in the photos were picked up off the ground at the same range, but were definitely not fired in the same gun.

The first was clearly fired in a .40 S&W chamber, but the second was definitely fired in a 9mm chamber. The case mouth is correct for 9mm, not blown out at all.

Curiosity got me, so I checked the ruptured case in my 9mm barrel. It sticks out about .040" more than a good round, making me think it was either fired in a very sloppy chamber, or perhaps slightly out-of-battery. The firing pin indentation sure looks Glock to me, but would one ever fire out-of-battery? Or maybe it was just seriously overloaded.

Makes me wonder how often this sort of thing happens. I've been shooting and loading my own for 35 years, in a variety of different rounds, sometimes pushing the limits and making mistakes (mostly long ago), and I've never had a blow-out like this or damaged a gun.

View attachment 1806571
I suspect anything man-made can have a mechanical failure. Sure looks to me like that round wasn't fully chambered. I've seen 9mm majors on the ground after a match that had the smiley blowout but the separation didn't go so far around the rim.

I should mention, the two empties in the photos were picked up off the ground at the same range, but were definitely not fired in the same gun.

The first was clearly fired in a .40 S&W chamber, but the second was definitely fired in a 9mm chamber. The case mouth is correct for 9mm, not blown out at all.

Curiosity got me, so I checked the ruptured case in my 9mm barrel. It sticks out about .040" more than a good round, making me think it was either fired in a very sloppy chamber, or perhaps slightly out-of-battery. The firing pin indentation sure looks Glock to me, but would one ever fire out-of-battery? Or maybe it was just seriously overloaded.

Makes me wonder how often this sort of thing happens. I've been shooting and loading my own for 35 years, in a variety of different rounds, sometimes pushing the limits and making mistakes (mostly long ago), and I've never had a blow-out like this or damaged a gun.

View attachment 1806571
Possible, but unlikely that it fired out of battery. More likely the pressure was still too high as the action unlocked. Pressure took the path of least resistance at that point. I've seen the same thing happen with 9mm major reloads, but the pressure was just low enough to keep from rupturing the case.

Possible, but unlikely that it fired out of battery. More likely the pressure was still too high as the action unlocked. Pressure took the path of least resistance at that point. I've seen the same thing happen with 9mm major reloads, but the pressure was just low enough to keep from rupturing the case.
Interesting. I hadn't thought about a rupture on the way out 🤔

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR