JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
SO this date of manufacture? I have never seen one of those on any magazine I own. I am damn sure theres not one on any of the boxes of STD issue 15rd M1 carbine mags I have. And if there was it would range from about 1941 to 1953 So if someone from WA state bought an M1 carbine magazine how would they know?

SO this date of manufacture? I have never seen one of those on any magazine I own. I am damn sure theres not one on any of the boxes of STD issue 15rd M1 carbine mags I have. And if there was it would range from about 1941 to 1953 So if someone from WA state bought an M1 carbine magazine how would they know?
MagPul Glock mag DOM:

558151.jpg
Hexmag:
Rrk5uI4.jpg

Seems to me enforcement would be next to impossible on this. I assume there is no requirement to show the mag was in ones possession prior to July 2022 (or whatever the date effective date is) in the current law?

Also if In the future you had one with a date after that, say 2023, couldn't one wipe that date out because there is no provision that mags can't be altered?

It seems to me the whole "possession" thing is irrelevant with current law. Sales, transfer etc are what to be concerned about/pay attention to. But I haven't read latest law version so im going on whatever the last version was that I read.

Seems to me enforcement would be next to impossible on this. I assume there is no requirement to show the mag was in ones possession prior to July 2022 (or whatever the date effective date is) in the current law?
Correct on both counts. As to your second point, the "proof of prior possession" aspect was removed from the bill prior to its final passage into law.
Also if In the future you had one with a date after that, say 2023, couldn't one wipe that date out because there is no provision that mags can't be altered?
That would be illegal, since you would have imported that mag into the state, which will be prohibited after June 30, 2022, under the new definition of "import" in the law.
It seems to me the whole "possession" thing is irrelevant with current law. Sales, transfer etc are what to be concerned about/pay attention to.
Correct again. Just have possession of your mags before midnight on June 30, 2022. The law targets new/attempted acquisitions/importations after June 30, 2022.
But I haven't read latest law version so im going on whatever the last version was that I read.
The version that was passed is ESSB 5078 and can be found here:

Last Edited:

It seems to me the whole "possession" thing is irrelevant with current law. Sales, transfer etc are what to be concerned about/pay attention to. But I haven't read latest law version so im going on whatever the last version was that I read.
Yes, not possible now, but technically these are possible interpretations:

- Anyone permanently moving to WA with already owned standard capacity magazine after July 1 2022, regardless of date of acquisition of said magazine, is importing and thus in violation. Owning it prior to July 1 does not make difference, as the magazine is imported to stay in WA.
- Anyone born on or after July 1, 2022 will never be able to own one in WA because, regardless of where they lived since birth, they were not able to own one legally on July 1, 2022 as they were not yet born. Notice the law does not allow acquisition or transfer through inheritance.

Finally, the video above argues that temporary travel to WA with said magazine as long as that magazine is with you when you are leaving WA is legal. I'm not so sure as I read the text of the law. Leaving WA and then coming back is defined as OK, but the opposite sequence is not explicitly defined.

Finally, the video above argues that temporary travel to WA with said magazine as long as that magazine is with you when you are leaving WA is legal. I'm not so sure as I read the text of the law. Leaving WA and then coming back is defined as OK, but the opposite sequence is not explicitly defined.
By American jurisprudence, if not specifically defined as being prohibited, then it's allowed.
Since this new BS law does not specifically prohibit the opposite sequence, then it's allowed.
If the Legislature had wanted to prohibit the opposite sequence, then they would have written that into the bill.
If they meant to prohibit it and forgot to add the prohibitive language (not very likely), then that's their failure.

Last Edited:
I didn't catch that in the video, but since the goal of the law is to combat mass shootings, I don't see why they would be okay with bringing banned mags in on a temporary basis. I thought the point was that someone who lives on the border can establish their mags in WA before July 1 and therefore the mags become "WA residents". And if you move into WA, those mags could come with you.

But if they were never in the state before July 1, then I don't see that provision for bringing them in later.

Pardon me if I've misunderstood your post.

The burden of proof would be on the state that the mag was manufactured/imported after the date the ban went into effect.

Personally though, I would not push it.

Like I said earlier, I doubt much enforcement will be happening. What will probably happen is the gov will moan and groan about mags coming in after the ban and they will pass a law banning the possession altogether.

I didn't catch that in the video, but since the goal of the law is to combat mass shootings, I don't see why they would be okay with bringing banned mags in on a temporary basis. I thought the point was that someone who lives on the border can establish their mags in WA before July 1 and therefore the mags become "WA residents". And if you move into WA, those mags could come with you.

But if they were never in the state before July 1, then I don't see that provision for bringing them in later.

Pardon me if I've misunderstood your post.
Interesting interpretation, so,,, I guess I need to load up a footlocker full of magazines next time (before July) I have to cross into washington just to grandfather them.

Interesting interpretation, so,,, I guess I need to load up a footlocker full of magazines next time (before July) I have to cross into washington just to grandfather them.
They're giving us all til July for a reason, right?

I jist bought 5 surplus M9 mags.

agree, the law doesnt address non residents visiting the state despite what the video claimed.

agree, the law doesnt address non residents visiting the state despite what the video claimed.
Just reread the bill. The import section is pretty clear and doesn't mention residency. I don't see how they could prevent non-resident grandfathering.

Ah being Glockless and having no idea what a Hexmag goes to that is also something not part of my world. So this is the first time I have seen a Magazine with any sort of identification on it save a manufacturer. And even that is very rare I own 9 firearms with magazines and two that use clips though that is optional on one of them.

Just reread the bill. The import section is pretty clear and doesn't mention residency. I don't see how they could prevent non-resident grandfathering.
The law is written as an exception to importing for Washington residents "departing from" only and is clear they can return to their state with their grandfathered mags. All other transport of standard mags is considered importing.

I think the intent of the law targeted sales and importing for sales. I'm guessing they knew it wouldn't have passed if they tried to ban sales and existing mags at the same time.

The law is written as an exception to importing for Washington residents "departing from" only and is clear they can return to their state with their grandfathered mags. All other transport of standard mags is considered importing.

I think the intent of the law targeted sales and importing for sales. I'm guessing they knew it wouldn't have passed if they tried to ban sales and existing mags at the same time.
It says nothing about residents. Read it. The intent doesnt matter, just the language.

Well who else would be "departing from, and returning to" the state of Washington?
Anyone who is in the state at any time, leaves and comes back.

Border residents, vacation home, whatever. Unless the law states resident, it applies universally.

But it has to have been legally imported in the first place along with its owner.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top