JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When did the rules change for USPS? I have sold several guns on GB and was told by the Post Office that USPS does not ship firearms and that is why I always use UPS and their rules have change as well for shipping firearms.

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.
The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.
Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

To be fair, my luck with FedEx has been no better… that Troutdale distribution center is a veritable black hole much of the time.

Something happened to that company couple decades back and I never have heard what. For a long time they were the gold standard in shipping. Guy that got it off the ground was quite ahead of his time. Then not sure what but it just went to hell and never came back. I buy a LOT of stuff online and dread seeing FedEx when I see something shipped to me. When we first got outside cameras for the house this company was alone worth the cost of them. Couple ammo panics back had ammo coming weekly from a place that used them. Lost track of the times they showed delivered and nothing. I would review footage and their truck was never on my street. So when I would call to tell them try again and the drone would start in with did I look around the house and check the neighbors I would tell them a few times, I have cameras, your truck was never on my street. Amazingly hours later a truck would pull up and here comes my package that they had left who the hell knows where. :mad:
There is a reason I started to call them FEDUP. I had an order for something that I HAD to have to finish a build. Was coming via FEDUP. I tracked the package go to Hillsboro to Troutdale to Hillsboro and back to Troutdale for over a week!! Took a lot of phone calls to some guy who decided that if he actually got the package to me I would leave him alone!!

When did the rules change for USPS? I have sold several guns on GB and was told by the Post Office that USPS does not ship firearms and that is why I always use UPS and their rules have change as well for shipping firearms.
To my knowledge (which is not authoritative), USPS hasn't changed the rules for accepting firearms lately. Non-licensees may still ship long guns by USPS. Only FFL dealers may ship handguns through USPS. Look up the USPS Domestic Mail Manual, the rules are there but not all counter clerks know them.

Fedex has been out of my graces for a long time. My main complaint, very long shipping times. Some items crazily routed as documented by their tracking system. Example: Package sent from Calif. to Wash. by way of Florida. Every time it landed someplace in the system, it sat for days. It's a "hub" system, which may be to the advantage of the company but isn't always the fastest route to the customer. I get batching things by destination but at some point it comes at cost of speed.

There is a reason I started to call them FEDUP. I had an order for something that I HAD to have to finish a build. Was coming via FEDUP. I tracked the package go to Hillsboro to Troutdale to Hillsboro and back to Troutdale for over a week!! Took a lot of phone calls to some guy who decided that if he actually got the package to me I would leave him alone!!
At one point I had a Kar98k that was "Out for Delivery" or whatever term they use for 5 days, and that's after sitting in Troutdale for 7 days. I ended up calling them about it, had to open a case, they eventually found that it was sitting in their warehouse the whole time. Makes me wonder if and when I would have received it if I never called.

The scans aren't always accurate. I've had a few things with bad scans that ultimately turned into positive outcomes. My takeaway, when something gets a delivered scan reported online and it doesn't turn up in your hands, give it a few more days before panic mode. Yes, I know the urge to rush out and start investigating is strong.

I don't know about the deal with two tracking numbers. Most label systems, both in-house USPS and licensed versions show only one tracking number and for insurance purposes, that is rolled into it. In the past, insurance markings for the amount mentioned would've been applied with a separate insured article number in addition to the tracking number. That may still be done in small offices that don't have the up-to-date point of sale equipment that prints the all-in-one type label.

General comment re. the USPS. Around here, they are having a terrible time finding sufficient staffing to cover the work that needs doing. For one thing, the pay is no longer considered good, what with the $15.74 minimum wage and all. Benefits have been reduced for new hires. For another thing, they have to go through a lot of applicants to get some that don't prove positive on the drug test. Which includes cannabis so that rules out a lot of people who might otherwise be willing to work for the level of pay offered. So when employers are scraping the bottom of the barrel, quality of work is apt to suffer.

Somewhat related, just tonight I looked up to see what the salary is for assistant district attorneys in the Manhattan (New York County) DA's office. They run between $60K and $90K, that's it. After four years for their BA then minimum three more years for their JD. In an area where the cost of living is high.

The scans aren't always accurate. I've had a few things with bad scans that ultimately turned into positive outcomes. My takeaway, when something gets a delivered scan reported online and it doesn't turn up in your hands, give it a few more days before panic mode. Yes, I know the urge to rush out and start investigating is strong.

I don't know about the deal with two tracking numbers. Most label systems, both in-house USPS and licensed versions show only one tracking number and for insurance purposes, that is rolled into it. In the past, insurance markings for the amount mentioned would've been applied with a separate insured article number in addition to the tracking number. That may still be done in small offices that don't have the up-to-date point of sale equipment that prints the all-in-one type label.

General comment re. the USPS. Around here, they are having a terrible time finding sufficient staffing to cover the work that needs doing. For one thing, the pay is no longer considered good, what with the $15.74 minimum wage and all. Benefits have been reduced for new hires. For another thing, they have to go through a lot of applicants to get some that don't prove positive on the drug test. Which includes cannabis so that rules out a lot of people who might otherwise be willing to work for the level of pay offered. So when employers are scraping the bottom of the barrel, quality of work is apt to suffer.

Somewhat related, just tonight I looked up to see what the salary is for assistant district attorneys in the Manhattan (New York County) DA's office. They run between $60K and $90K, that's it. After four years for their BA then minimum three more years for their JD. In an area where the cost of living is high.
So I've learned. The other big take away I've learned from this is that firearms are essentially viewed as a any other piece of mail or package. I left the ATF a voicemail last week and still haven't heard back, I called the Multnomah County Sheriff's to make a report and the system hung up on me. It just shows how dysfunctional Government is in big cities.

Complete opposite of where I live in my small town, where can I walk into the Sheriff's office and city government and be done.

Last Edited:
So I've learned. The other big take away I'm learned from this is that firearms are essentially viewed as a any other piece of mail or package. I left the ATF a voicemail last week and still haven't heard back, I called the Multnomah County Sheriff's to make a report and the system hung up on me. It just shows how dysfunctional Government is in big cities.

Complete opposite of where I live in my small town, where can I walk into the Sheriff's office and city government and be done.
Main thing is if the gun is never found to keep a record. If years from now it ends up at some crime scene those same agencies that could care less now? They will show up and will care then. So protect yourself.

my guess is that someone on the inside saw a box that said "SIG" on it and mysteriously lost it.

pretty easy to destroy a lower receiver and buy a legit one.

🤷‍♂️

i hope it ends up working out for you

my guess is that someone on the inside saw a box that said "SIG" on it and mysteriously lost it.

pretty easy to destroy a lower receiver and buy a legit one.

🤷‍♂️

i hope it ends up working out for you
It did. It ended up mysteriously appearing after I filed the USPS report and my FFL called me Friday and said he got it. I completed the transfer. Phew

sitting in Troutdale for 7 days. I ended up calling them about it, had to open a case, they eventually found that it was sitting in their warehouse the whole time. Makes me wonder if and when I would have received it if I never called.
I've never worked in a Fedex warehouse. But to some extent, I can picture the process. Packages are probably moved around in some sort of larger containers. When they get a surge of cargo from the loading dock, such containers get congregated in a surge area. When this happens, it may not be a matter of "first in, first out." Containers shoved to the rear may remain there for some time. During the early Covid era, there was a big shortage of both transportation and common carrier employees. Which resulted in lots of back-ups.

About consolidation in shipping containers. Those get scanned, giving a kind of bulk scan to everything in the container. Which can lead to occasional false data for individual packages.

I avoid FedEx as much as possible. I've had packages delayed for over a week at the Troutdale, Or FedEx facility. The following is from an ATF survey report earlier this year on firearm thefts and losses. One segment dealt with shipping carrier stats.

"Common Carriers of Interstate Theft or Loss Incidents. As previously stated, FFLs are required to provide the name of the carrier when reporting an interstate theft or loss. ATF works closely with the common carriers and regularly receives support from these carriers in theft or loss investigations. As shown in Figure IT-04, the greatest proportion of reported theft or loss incidents involved FedEx (39%; 2,373), the United Parcel Service (UPS) (39%; 2,318), and the United States Postal Service (USPS) (13%; 799). When the number of firearms per theft or loss incident was considered, FedEx accounted for 37% (4,853), UPS for 37% (4,833), and USPS for 9% (1,245) of all firearms reported stolen or lost.

"Complementary patterns were present in the sum of firearms involved across these incidents. However, though FedEx accounted for 17% (232) of firearms reported stolen or lost in 2019, it accounted for 38% (1,060) of firearms reported stolen or lost in 2020 and 49% (2,613) of firearms reported stolen or lost in 2021 (Figure IT-06). "

"From 2017 to 2021, 49% (6,452) of firearms reported stolen or lost in interstate shipment were pistols. The second and third most common types were rifles (20%; 2,589) and receiver/frame (11%; 1,481), respectively (Figure IT-07)."

Okay, here's a UPS horror story... my gal has a package with Kohl's that the last update on her order was "shipment created, UPS awaiting item" A MONTH ago. I reached out to Kohl's customer service a week after that since usually you see first movement within 2-3 days of that asking them to send someone to the warehouse loading dock and check on it... not a peep since.
Most likely stolen.

I purchased a firearm from a small FFL ( firearms dealer)on Gubroker who was in Utah to have the pistol shipped to my local dealer in my area. That was the start of some odd occurrences going on with the deal. There was two tracking numbers associated with this delivery 1) with insurance for $100.00 which is the only valid tracking number and 2) One with requested amount of up to $1400.00. The first tracking number was the only that seemed to work. Okay, whatever I thought that seems a bit strange and odd. On the receipt it shows the itemized breakdown indicating this. Essentially two tracking numbers. Transaction numbers associated with the sellers information. Either he or USPS screwed up.

Fast forward to today. I que up the tracking information to see it was delivered an hour north of at me at a " PO BOX in Portland" So naturally, Immediately I call the 1800 USPS call center and they were doing their best to help me. But explained to me that they couldn't " release the information due to security concerns". I told them, what?? excuse me but this is a firearm that's misdelivered to the wrong person. I even asked for a postal inspector which went nowhere.

After hitting a dead end with the 1800 USPS number. I drove down to my local trusted Post Office where they've been excellent and the postal worker explained to me that it looks like its a " missent package" and that it should be delivered tomorrow sometime or at the end of week. I still don't understand how this could happen. Does anyone have experience with this type of ordeal?

I asked if it doesn't show up I suppose I'll file a police report and write it off as a loss.

The postal worker said I should be able to track the package and see what she does. I said, on my end on USPS's website it just says " delivered at PO box"

I also called the USPS postal inspector law enforcement number and they referred me back to the 1800 USPS general number. Still waiting to hear back from the seller as I texted him. This whole thing has been a bizarre series of a events.

My impression from the USPS

For future reference, while not technically a General Authority Officer, I work with a bunch, and the general opinion is that the one branch you DO NOT bubblegum around with is the Postal Inspection Service. They have a ridiculously high conviction rate, and almost a 100% arrest rate on cases determined to be criminal. The only people you want to bubblegum around with less are the IRS.

I shipped a small boat across the country with some specialty shipper several years ago and they couldn't find it for half a day. It was lost in some giant freight yard. I don't remember the name of the shipper, but they insisted that there be a loading dock at the drop point. It took me forever to get them to understand that the shop had a giant forklift so we didn't need one. They also tried to collect the already paid shipping invoice on delivery.

edit: grammar
Well, that's what you get for trying to ship a boat to Gilligan's Isle!

It's an uncharted desert isle, after all! :rolleyes:

Three tops and a pair of pants, hardly worth stealing. (The nuisance is that the pants were in a specific shade of teal she REALLY likes that has been discontinued... the only part of the order that couldn't be replaced.)
USPS finally screwed me over w/ my wife's birthday present. Arrived in Portland yesterday all the way from Florida, then for no reason, re-routed to Ohio! Oops. Now the box will be late.

I don't care if MY stuff arrives a little late but I really needed them to come through on this one and they f* me.

For future reference, while not technically a General Authority Officer, I work with a bunch, and the general opinion is that the one branch you DO NOT bubblegum around with is the Postal Inspection Service. They have a ridiculously high conviction rate, and almost a 100% arrest rate on cases determined to be criminal. The only people you want to bubblegum around with less are the IRS.
^^I believe it. I remember they were hiring when I was a kid and I talked to them. Seemed like a serious bunch. They got into some big time criminal stuff too. If I remember right, the guy told me the Postal Inspectors either carried or trained with firearms.

I don't know what WA is like, but Oregon Dept. of Revenue is worse than the IRS. Tenacious and unrelenting. This is according to several CPAs who've suffered through their audits.

WA Revenue is right up there too. "We don't CARE if it makes you unable to meet IRS or any other obligations, the only thing that matters is we get OUR cut no matter what even if you posted a Gross Loss."'

The only thing more evil in finance and revenue than Gross Receipts Taxes (WA B&O) are the human garbage who support them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top