JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In my travels, I came across this old advertisement and found it kind of interesting. It evidently was trying to appeal to preparedness-minded individuals of the time ("in case of national emergency"). Though an 8-shot, .22LR carbine may not be the first pick if Soviet paratroopers are raining down on your home town. I wonder what an "over-and-under magazine" is, though I suspect it is box magazines clipped together "jungle style". Regardless, the over-the-top wording in the ad is amusing in and of itself.

Anyway, I just thought I'd pass it along in case others find it neat-o.

Ad:
uto_22_was_sold_as_being_a_civilan_defence_rifle_against_random_soviet_paratroopers_in_the_1960s.jpg

Another ad with a better picture of the carbine:

from_1962_showing_the_AR7_design_modified_to_be_a_M1_carbine_a_Tommy_gun_or_a_Broomhandle_Mauser.jpg

Cheers.

The overs under looks like my pellet guns magazine where you pop it out and flip it over and re insert it. Like the mag was made that way, not 2 mags attached.

Notice the spring slot is off center half way down the mag.

IMG_1961.PNG

Imagine getting a .22 rifle today, in the mail, for says 50.00...

My oh my, how America has strayed...

True that. Though, granted, $50 in 1962 is around $400-ish in 2017 dollars. Monetary concerns aside, being able to buy via the mail without added hassles would be very nice indeed. Heck, in this state, all transfers must now go through an FFL. But I digress.

Looks a bit like the AR-7 series of rifles / pistols ... Just with a different style stock.
Andy

It sure does. I can't help but wonder if it shares part of the developmental history of the AR-7 or if it just a coincidence they look a heck of alot a like. To the best of my recollection, I've never heard of the HY Hunter Firearms Manufacturing Co.

But that it is largely academic because I have no real interest in tracking one of these down. It is no secret that I am interested in all things preparedness, but one track of study I've enjoyed over the years is studying the earlier history (1940s through the 80s) of preparedness (both organized civil defense and personal endeavours) in this country and that is how I came upon this old ad copy. :)

I find the "Civilian Defence Weapon" aspect of its advertising interesting. Wonder where they got that? Back in the twenties and thirties the Thompson Sub Machinegun was heavily marketed to ranchers as an all purpose ranch defense gun! I remember seeing illustrations on the ads showing the rugged rancher defending the ol' ranch house from a grizzly and another showing a gang of motorcycle baddies roaring up on him! Freaking Thompson would probably do the job in either case!
Great old Hi Hunter ads, I remember then well! :)

I find the "Civilian Defence Weapon" aspect of its advertising interesting. Wonder where they got that?

It has set my mind abuzz too. This is purely conjecture, so take it with a grain of salt:

The first ad appears to be early 1960s. From the model number (T-62) and the fact the other ad is from 1962, this would put it in the same year as the Cuban Missile Crisis. From my study in the era, a lot of Americans started to get serious about preps in that time frame, including interest in building fallout shelters. Pat Frank's nonfiction book How to Survive the H-Bomb and Why came out in the same year, for example. So maybe the manufacturer was trying to appeal to that interest? I don't know, but it could be a possibility.

30 Mauser, or 7.63x25 is what they shoot... I'm sure there are a few variants tho, as evident above.

I'm keeping an eye on you, Wookiee lover. Can't have you going around destroying C-96's...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top