JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How about Dean Martin with a bunch of Civil Defense T-62s? :s0155:

800px-Ambushers-Carbine-3.jpg

New guy here.

I'm a geezer that was researching the guns of my youthful dreams when I found you on the internet. When I was a boy I spent many a day with a Hy Hunter catalog in my lap or under my pillow at night. While lots of the cataloged guns appealed to me, my favorite was the Hy Hunter T-62 Civilian Defense Weapon. I was 14 or 15 at the time and the tommy gun lookalike captured my imagination back in '62-'63. After all, we had just gone through the Cuban missile crisis. And Robert Stack played Elliot Ness on the "Untouchables" TV series, where tommy guns blasted away by gangsters and G-Men alike.

Twenty years later (I have not considered this before) I joined the ranks of the G-Men. And a couple of years later, in a neighborhood gun shop in the Blue Ridge mountains, I found a Hy Hunter T-62 Civilian Defense Weapon. My wife presented it to me at Christmas.

Seeing this thread I had to join up and offer a comment on my experience, which is three-fold. There was a boy's dream, a profession using submachine guns and finding my T-62, and now, as an old guy, sharing and appreciating the moment with you folks. The rifle sits in my gun safe to this day. It really isn't much of a rifle, but it's value is a boy's dream turned into reality.

Nice to meet you folks.
Welcome from the gun totin' old broad contingent.
Great story.

"Ammunition is cheap and easily obtainable in case of national emergency"
How times have changed. :s0140: Cheap .22 ammo, not anymore...

I went thru many bricks of K marts cheap .22 ammo direct from Yugoslavia. Filthy, erratic and sometimes fired on the first try but at least .22 was always available back in the day. And did I mention cheap?

"Modern Musket"....With a picture of a AR15 type Carbine....

I appreciate the idea here...that said....
A musket is smooth bore....while a AR15 type carbine or rifle...is rifled.

When muskets were in vogue...rifles were revolutionary ( pun intended ).

Speaking of "revolutionary"....while rifles were used in Revolutionary War...they were used mostly by specialized troops , ie : Riflemen...not line Infantry.

In the fight at Lexington and Concord 19 April 1775 , muskets were used...as well as fowlers...no rifles were used by either the US forces or English , in that fight.

Rifles were used more in the Southern Theater , than in the Northern Theater as well.
This is not to say the Riflemen from Pennsylvania , Virginia and Maryland did not fight under Washington..they did indeed...just not as much as some modern spins of history make it out to be.

A battle in the Southern Theater that deserves more notice is the Battle of Kings Mountain , 7 October 1780. Kings Mountain is one of the first battles where Riflemen fought against other Riflemen.
Note , not everyone at Kings Mountain , had a rifle...just that many troops on both sides did..pretty rare for the time period.

And yes I understand that one of the intentions of the patch is to say , that the AR15 Rifle or Carbine is commonly in use , much like a musket was in common use , by the common man....
Its just the term musket with a picture of a rifled arm...that gets me.

Also please note that I am not saying that firearms were uncommon in American hands during the Revolution or even before....nor am I saying that a AR15 has no place in America....

Firearms were common and much in use in America before , during and after our Revolutionary War....and the AR15 is very much a common sight in a many gun-owners hands....much like a musket was in 1775.
Again...its the term Musket , pictured with a rifled arm...that is misleading in my view.
Andy

Last Edited:
I would be only too happy to defend my wife and home with a Thompson SMG with a dozen or so pre-loaded 50-round drum mags.

The last time I fired one was at a demo in 1998, but I never got tired of seeing the faces on the other guys who had only ever shot a K&K MP5 when they let loose on an oil drum with all those big ol' 45s................

"Modern Musket"....With a picture of a AR15 type Carbine....

I appreciate the idea here...that said....
A musket is smooth bore....while a AR15 type carbine or rifle...is rifled.

When muskets were in vogue...rifles were revolutionary ( pun intended ).

Speaking of "revolutionary"....while rifles were used in Revolutionary War...they were used mostly by specialized troops , ie : Riflemen...not line Infantry.

In the fight at Lexington and Concord 19 April 1775 , muskets were used...as well as fowlers...no rifles were used by either the US forces or English , in that fight.

Rifles were used more in the Southern Theater , than in the Northern Theater as well.
This is not to say the Riflemen from Pennsylvania , Virginia and Maryland did not fight under Washington..they did indeed...just not as much as some modern spins of history make it out to be.

A battle in the Southern Theater that deserves more notice is the Battle of Kings Mountain , 7 October 1780. Kings Mountain is one of the first battles where Riflemen fought against other Riflemen.
Note , not everyone at Kings Mountain , had a rifle...just that many troops on both sides did..pretty rare for the time period.

And yes I understand that one of the intentions of the patch is to say , that the AR15 Rifle or Carbine is commonly in use , much like a musket was in common use , by the common man....
Its just the term musket with a picture of a rifled arm...that gets me.

Also please note that I am not saying that firearms were uncommon in American hands during the Revolution or even before....nor am I saying that a AR15 has no place in America....

Firearms were common and much in use in America before , during and after our Revolutionary War....and the AR15 is very much a common sight in a many gun-owners hands....much like a musket was in 1775.
Again...its the term Musket , pictured with a rifled arm...that is misleading in my view.
Andy
:s0113:Come on man,
that sounds like sleepy Joe's argument... :s0026:

Modern musket, :rolleyes: I want's me a F-15 and nukes. :s0062:

Andy,
Yeah....don't get me wrong. I see the VALUE in your history lesson. 👍 Thank You.

Yeah.....the picture of the AR15 (as a Modern Musket).......was more in an effort to get those anti-AR15 people thinking.

Assault Weapon, Weapon of War, whatever. Or call it a "stick" for all I care. No......wait. I actually, I care.

Because a "RIOT" is now considered a "Peaceful Protest". As well as the other examples, of how the language has changed to suit the Left's (and certain Politicians') own distorted views.

For the Anti-AR15 people.....Enjoy This.
Lexington-Minutmen-M4-American-Revo.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I would be only too happy to defend my wife and home with a Thompson SMG with a dozen or so pre-loaded 50-round drum mags.

The last time I fired one was at a demo in 1998, but I never got tired of seeing the faces on the other guys who had only ever shot a K&K MP5 when they let loose on an oil drum with all those big ol' 45s................
Amen, brother. Make it the big 100-round C-drums though.

For you who haven't shared the experience, a drum-dumping concerto on the Chicago Piano is one of the most exciting things you can do with clothes on. I knew an 07/SOT near Portland back in college, and all I can say about getting to check his out is "BEST. Christmas present. EVAR!" :)

Andy,
Yeah....don't get me wrong. I see the VALUE in your history lesson. 👍 Thank You.

Yeah.....the picture of the AR15 (as a Modern Musket).......was more in an effort to get those anti-AR15 people thinking.

Assault Weapon, Weapon of War, whatever. Or call it a "stick" for all I care. No......wait. I actually, I care.

Because a "RIOT" is now considered a "Peaceful Protest". As well as the other examples, of how the language has changed to suit the Left's (and certain Politicians') own distorted views.

For the Anti-AR15 people.....Enjoy This.
View attachment 997874

Aloha, Mark
Yeah, too bad we can't figure out how to build Doc Brown's DeLorean and start running M4s with M203s mounted back to the Continental Army... think about the Crowd Pleaser of dropping a 40mm Willie-Pete right down Cornwallis's pants before the Redcoats even enter their own range.

I find the "Civilian Defence Weapon" aspect of its advertising interesting

from 1962, this would put it in the same year as the Cuban Missile Crisis.
I like the depiction of the Commies parachuting in the background. Little would we dream then that later, enemy ideas would take root on our home ground without invasion. Anyway, the ad concept goes right along with wide-spread feelings of the times. Some people were digging up their back yards and installing bomb shelters. There were a few half-baked domestic organizations dedicated to ad-hoc civilian home defense, such as Robert DePugh's Minutemen. But these were small, fringe groups. The Cold War Federal Civil Defense Administration (flawed) programs were all geared toward The Bomb but I don't remember anything from them about resisting physical invasion. I guess the obvious reason is, if The Bomb is coming, forget the parachutists.

I like the depiction of the Commies parachuting in the background. Little would we dream then that later, enemy ideas would take root on our home ground without invasion. Anyway, the ad concept goes right along with wide-spread feelings of the times. Some people were digging up their back yards and installing bomb shelters. There were a few half-baked domestic organizations dedicated to ad-hoc civilian home defense, such as Robert DePugh's Minutemen. But these were small, fringe groups. The Cold War Federal Civil Defense Administration (flawed) programs were all geared toward The Bomb but I don't remember anything from them about resisting physical invasion. I guess the obvious reason is, if The Bomb is coming, forget the parachutists.
And the overlooked threat of an Enemy Within whose seed was planted inside our body politic like an embryonic xenomorph waiting to burst out or collective chest...

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews