JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Dad ruined one of his kidneys due to a medication problem, which caused his blood pressure to get too high-- taking high blood pressure medication actually helps many people live a lot longer than they might otherwise.

I have been unsuccessful in convincing my brother that due to his blood pressure rising above 135 he needs to get on blood pressure meds

I'm 50, overweight, smoked since I was 21, drink too much, and don't exercise regularly.

I'm not on any meds and have perfect blood pressure and passed my physical last year with flying colors. My doctor hates me...

But I was never a heavy smoker. Maybe half a pack a day of lights at my heaviest.

Been using the Juul vape thingy for about a month and down to less than a pack a week.

Offering encouragement to quitting any bad habits! I know the struggle. I quit energy drinks 5 years ago. It was hard, but you can do it too with dip (or anything else).

I'm currently trying to quit alcohol, or at least cut way back. I don't have a drinking problem, but recognize it is counter to my other life goals of fitness and health.

I'm open to being an accountability partner with anyone for mutual encouragement.

Offering encouragement to quitting any bad habits! I know the struggle. I quit energy drinks 5 years ago. It was hard, but you can do it too with dip (or anything else).

I'm currently trying to quit alcohol, or at least cut way back. I don't have a drinking problem, but recognize it is counter to my other life goals of fitness and health.

I'm open to being an accountability partner with anyone for mutual encouragement.

I fell off the wagon for a bit during the spring, but have been tonacco-free since June 27. I'm over the bad mood and things seem to be ok right now. How did the move go?

I smoked 2+ packs a day (age 13-33) for 20 years. Never was a good at the willpower thing. After my daughter was born I went to a psychologist who hypnotized me to reduce the triggers. One time thing. I paid $125 and estimated that to break even I had to hold out for 45 days. It was over 65 before I realized that I had passed the date.

I worked in the restaurant and beer business so working in smoky bars and having cigarette smoke in my face all the time you would think that it would bother me but it never did. It was one of the best things I've ever done. For my health, my family and being able to smell anything again!

I would imagine that dip would be much the same just different triggers. I don't suggest the multi-appointment type of it but all I can say is that it worked for me.

My Dad ruined one of his kidneys due to a medication problem, which caused his blood pressure to get too high-- taking high blood pressure medication actually helps many people live a lot longer than they might otherwise.

I have been unsuccessful in convincing my brother that due to his blood pressure rising above 135 he needs to get on blood pressure meds
They work but some are real basterds to live with. There's the "combi" pill, which makes you cough briefly every five minutes, 24/7 like you've got Tourette's. If you're not cursing at first, you will after a while. The docs think that this is beneficial but it drives you and those around you crazy with all of the coughing. Tell them to shove that one. Then there's all the ones that are diuretics. These work better than the combi pill but side effect is that they make you pee, some more than others so be prepared.... Don't expect another decent night's sleep while you're on them. Then there's the statins. While these work very well, they are rough to get off and it is not advised to quit these cold turkey. Your doc will prescribe what he/she thinks is best for you though. YMMV. Overall though, most of these cr@p pills do work to lower BP.

Is that Systolic or Diastolic? If it's Systolic I don't think 135 is really bad enough for meds
I'm a record setter at work with 190/148. Office full of ladies sent me home, called my wife and made me go see the Dr.
Full school load + and work will do that to you. I don't smoke or drink.

Last Edited:
They work but some are real basterds to live with. There's the "combi" pill, which makes you cough briefly every five minutes, 24/7 like you've got Tourette's. If you're not cursing at first, you will after a while. The docs think that this is beneficial but it drives you and those around you crazy with all of the coughing. Tell them to shove that one. Then there's all the ones that are diuretics. These work better than the combi pill but side effect is that they make you pee, some more than others so be prepared.... Don't expect another decent night's sleep while you're on them. Then there's the statins. While these work very well, they are rough to get off and it is not advised to quit these cold turkey. Your doc will prescribe what he/she thinks is best for you though. YMMV. Overall though, most of these cr@p pills do work to lower BP.

I was on lisinopril which gave me the cough. I guess its like an allergic reaction. Switched me to Losartin and I'm in the 110/68 zone.

I'm a record setter at work with 190/148. Office full of ladies sent me home, called my wife and made me go see the Dr.
Full school load + and work will do that to you. I don't smoke or drink.
That's stroke numbers there.
Hope you got it down.
I have a hard time keeping mine below 140/90.
That's the cut off point for D.O.T.
Physical.
I take meds and quit smoking.
I take a dip of Copenhagen.
A few times a day .
But that's nothing compared to almost 3 packs a day smoking.

I was on lisinopril which gave me the cough. I guess its like an allergic reaction. Switched me to Losartin and I'm in the 110/68 zone.
Ditto same here. My pharmacist assured me that it's not the recalled stuff though. (sure....wink wink). Also hydroclorthiazide (HCZ) which isn't as bad as some of the other "water" pills. It all seems to work as planned though.

I haven't had a dip since February 26th. Wasnt so bad the first week since I was on a cruise and had a constant BAC of .2 or higher. Its getting progressively worse though. Me and Copenhagen have been friends since I was 14. Now, I am constantly on a hair trigger mood wise. I haven't taken it out on anyone, but I've gone on a couple drives here and there blasting Du Hast and giving pedestrians dirty looks.

When does it end?
Put the can in your back pocket, cap off facing inward. It's like a dip patch.

I'm currently taking Bystolic & amlodipine, I quit lying to myself a few weeks ago and doubled my dosage cause my BP has been creeping up too much for the last year or so:eek:

Last week I got my first hemorrhoid-guess it's all downhill from here:eek::eek:

I haven't had a dip since February 26th. Wasnt so bad the first week since I was on a cruise and had a constant BAC of .2 or higher. Its getting progressively worse though. Me and Copenhagen have been friends since I was 14. Now, I am constantly on a hair trigger mood wise. I haven't taken it out on anyone, but I've gone on a couple drives here and there blasting Du Hast and giving pedestrians dirty looks.

When does it end?
I quit by chewing Mint Leave Snuff. Comes in a can like regular chew but no nicotine and isn't harmful to anything according to my dentist. It might be hard to find but the local liquor store orders it for me by the box (12 ct). It's cheaper then tobacco too.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews