JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had chewed Cope for over 30 years, and quite several times.. I have not had a dip for 2 months now. I used the nicotine lozenges 4mg, then 2mg, and then that was it. I hope it lasts. I am pretty determined this time.

I quit twice. Once for New Year's 30 years ago, my wife (now ex) and I quit; she smoked, I chewed. She got me back on it because she was cheating (smoking) and wanted me to quit bugging her, so she bought me a can when we were on vacation 6 years later. I quit again 1 year later. The sores in my mouth scared me! I still have dreams about having a dip, but mostly the downside of having that crap in my mouth and trying to get rid of it (kinda of like having to go to the bathroom). I am not around anyone who chews, so that really helps. I think it is tougher for smokers because there are a lot more opportunities to "cheat." The occasional longing never goes away. Sean Connery in his final James Bond movie (Never Say Never Again), when offered a cigarette said, "Not today." That's the way you kinda gotta deal with it, not today. Good luck!

Anytime you REALLY!!! want to quit, find an Oral Surgeon, ask him if he has any current oral cancer cases that are a result of snuff/chew usage and if he'll let you visit them in hospital.
When you get out of church (your next stop), I can pretty much guarantee that not only will you never go near the stuff again, you'll become one of the most vociferous proselytizers against this stuff ever being sold anywhere.

I smoked almost all of my life starting in the womb. Both parents smoked 1-2 packs of straights a day, much of it in the house. When I smoked my first cigarette, I didn't cough or choke like my friends did. I quit three times and ended up starting again each time. The funniest was when I switched to a herbal mix that I rolled. It smelled like pot and my boss made me quit.

I am now on my second try this year and am determined to stop. I am using Chantix and had good results the last time I quit 10 years ago. The only side effects were vivid dreams. This time I had some other side effects and had to stop taking it for a while. I just started again, but this time I am starting at 1/4 pack a day vs 1 pack a day, so it should be easier.

Everyone is different and nicotine affects each differently. Quitting for some is easier that others. My wife smoked when we were married and one day decided to quit. She never smoked again. I have struggled much of my life to quit nicotine, but never had a problem quitting alcohol. I drink one or two a year of very expensive tequila and Gran Marnier (Cadillac margarita) unless I am on vacation and then it is one a day or so. I used to drink a couple hard drinks every day or 3 to 6 beers depending on what I felt like.

Hey dude. Great post! Haven't read all the responses. Maybe my 2 cents has already been covered. I dipped from age 14 until 30. I'm 49 now, and when I started it was 75 cents a can at my corner store in Union. It left a mark. Still pay attention to the prices and have dreams about it. Only regret about quitting is that Mint Copenhagen came along after.

It was ugly. There's no way around it. I curled up on the couch for about 3 days and gave it everything I had. Lots of tricks other guys use. None of them worked for me. Just had to suffer though it and it takes a while, but it's worth not losing parts of your face. Try not to unload on your family. Good luck.

I haven't had a dip since February 26th. Wasnt so bad the first week since I was on a cruise and had a constant BAC of .2 or higher. Its getting progressively worse though. Me and Copenhagen have been friends since I was 14. Now, I am constantly on a hair trigger mood wise. I haven't taken it out on anyone, but I've gone on a couple drives here and there blasting Du Hast and giving pedestrians dirty looks.

When does it end?

I used Copenhagen for years, even while piloting military aircraft under my oxygen mask, because I didn't spit. Quitting snuff was rougher for me than quitting alcohol. I did it by peeing in a snuff can, and promising myself that my next dip would be out of that can. I nailed it up on the pegboard over my reloading bench. The lid is all rusted today, but it is still there, never reopened. Every time I was in a grocery store for several years I was tempted to buy another can, but remembered where my next dip would have to be taken. Each time I got out of the store without a fresh can it became a little easier. I would probably be pushing daisies to make them grow by now, if I didn't quit over 35 years ago. Hang in there No-Regerts, if I broke the habit so can you!

FAC

I was addicted to tobacco for almost 55 years and tried to quit a whole bunch of times: cold turkey, acupuncture, hypnosis, nicotine patches/gum, you name it. I am from an era where the dogma was that nicotine is psychologically habit forming, not addicting. Not true. A physician who works with addicts told me nicotine is almost as addicting as heroin. I believe it. The thing that finally worked for me was a drug called Chantix, must be prescribed by a physician. You will hear horror stories about side effects but for the most part, they are exaggerated. Bottom line is, it works. It absolutely takes away the craving. You take it for a couple of months and you then have a good handle on it. It is a tough addiction problem, good luck. Dave

I was addicted to tobacco for almost 55 years and tried to quit a whole bunch of times: cold turkey, acupuncture, hypnosis, nicotine patches/gum, you name it. I am from an era where the dogma was that nicotine is psychologically habit forming, not addicting. Not true. A physician who works with addicts told me nicotine is almost as addicting as heroin. I believe it. The thing that finally worked for me was a drug called Chantix, must be prescribed by a physician. You will hear horror stories about side effects but for the most part, they are exaggerated. Bottom line is, it works. It absolutely takes away the craving. You take it for a couple of months and you then have a good handle on it. It is a tough addiction problem, good luck. Dave
That's because it rewires your brain into a homicidal maniac.

lol, who knows

I started chewing full time when I was 18, quit when I left the military. It was a month of pain cold turkey, and I gained weight. My old man was a bubblegumy prick when he could not get chew, and had a worse habit than I. He made everything around him miserable, when he was withdrawing from it. Don't be a miserable prick, ruin relationships, and get yourself or someone else killed while trying to quit. I am strong willed and quit without ruining relationships, and didn't need patches etc. It's 100% psychological with physiological withdrawal. Some people should probably just cut back and not quit, it's that bad. Don't ever start chewing to begin with. Been 15 years and I still crave the crap when I smell or see it.

Oh, and I literally have ZERO interest in giving up nicotine. I mean not even a little. So I vape. No more chew for me. I was never a smoker, but I've been a nic addict for 30 years. My momma didn't raise no quitter!
I haven't had a dip since February 26th. Wasnt so bad the first week since I was on a cruise and had a constant BAC of .2 or higher. Its getting progressively worse though. Me and Copenhagen have been friends since I was 14. Now, I am constantly on a hair trigger mood wise. I haven't taken it out on anyone, but I've gone on a couple drives here and there blasting Du Hast and giving pedestrians dirty looks.

When does it end?
After 65 years with a chew in my mouth it's been six weeks (approximately) now since I went cold turkey. I keep forgetting why I quit and when I can remember it doesn't seem like a very good reason(s). I replaced my best friend (Wintergreen Grizzly) with a new Blue Heeler puppy. Every time I REALLY NEED a chew she and I go out and play ball. (New best friend). It has helped...but...I fight the DESIRE every day sometimes hourly.
I keep a plug of Red Man within reach, and 11 more plugs in my freezer (I'll sell those for 1/2 price to anyone who wants them $5.00 each). I prefer Grizzly but knowing there is a bite within reach seems to help.
Good luck to all of us "quitters".

I was able to quit drinking and smoking with nutritional therapy. I know that sounds crunchy and Portland, but you know what ? It worked. After 9/11 I found myself eating pretty poorly, working super long hours, and drinking a little more often than I'd like to. While the city I was in was becoming a constrictive Police state. I came to Portland before it became a city raptured in fast-forward growth, increased dysfunction, and absolutely pervasive squalor.

Moving on...with a working knowledge of our mind-gut connection - I began eating healthier and targeting intake of the amino acids that I needed to replenish. Smoking, drinking, eating crap food, trauma, - they all take tolls on us. Deplete the good stuff in our bodies. This compromises our immune system and our mind. Long story short - through learning what I eat - I was able to figure out how to stop these two addictions. Small things like not keeping alcohol in the house become mundane. Then I began eliminating foods like ice cream, heavily processed food and cookies (the good stuff, but in moderation) from my pantry / fridge. It takes incredible willpower at first - and still takes some now - but I'm able to do it. I go out for the above items once a week or so, that way I can justify going overboard and eating a huge dessert :)
Since I curbed the alcohol intake, I don't have a tolerance of any kind so one beer and that's it. Sometimes one beer a month. Really!

I replaced the physicalities of being addicted to drinking and smoking with 40-50mi bike rides - and lots of range time. I thank Oregon for that. I thank God for my sanity to leave the physical / mental state I was in.
Wow...good for you! That took some introspection, education, and will power! You are an inspiration.

Kinda wonder how hard it is to quit hard drugs if chew and cigs are that hard to quit.

Very bad but the worst is alcohol. Have to often deal with people addicted to narcotics and it's nothing like those on alcohol. Scared hell out of me when I first started seeing it. I went through a phase long ago when young and divorced where I drank very heavily. Often people addicted to alcohol fool all around them. Employers often have no idea. They often do not ever or very seldom get noticeably drunk. Then they end up where they can't get a drink for days and they can turn into monsters. Whole body is screaming for a drink. Often in the hospital they will knock them out for days till the body is over the worst of it.

Keep up the good work quitters! I never picked up dip, luckily it made me puke my guts out the first couple times so I quit trying. Smoking on the other hand... Thank goodness it's been about 7 years since I quit. Cigarette smoke smell alone turns my stomach now so no worry of being tempted thank goodness! The money saved and potential for additional time on this planet with loved ones is powerful motivation.

So, long story short...I relapsed.

A buddy from out if town asked if I'd watch his kid, who has Down's syndrome, for a while so he and his wife could go to a concert near my house. I agreed because he's a good friend and he and his wife don't get much time together. Everything went great, they stayed over at my house after the concert.

Next day, they are ready to leave, and the kid (10 years old), somehow roostertails a stream of schit from one end of my couch to the other. Every cushion had poop on it. I ended up cleaning it all up and washing all if the cushions because they had to leave because of time constraints. I handled it great! Or so I thought.

About 30 min later, I'm with @Kruel J and I'm starting to shake with anger. I swung into a 7-11 and bought a can and I swear the anger evaporated as soon as I felt the dip in my lip. This was on April 20. The can is gone, so I start again! Maybe.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top