JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pretty sure you can get a 10/22 magnum too.
From wiki,

It was manufactured for 9 years till 2006 and only about 50,000 units sold. Compare this to over 5,000,000 sold of the 22 LR version. Then there is the other assumed answer that the 22WMR was discontinued due to extraction issues and breaking bolts.

gun broker had one listed for over $1000

From wiki,

It was manufactured for 9 years till 2006 and only about 50,000 units sold. Compare this to over 5,000,000 sold of the 22 LR version. Then there is the other assumed answer that the 22WMR was discontinued due to extraction issues and breaking bolts.

gun broker had one listed for over $1000

I had one and sold it about 7 years ago for $750.

Never looked into it, didnt realize they were discontinued and expensive. Basically i just think the 22 mag has a lot more to offer than the 22 long. If you were really in a survival type scenario, id feel much better about head poppin a deer with a 22mag for instance. And my 22mag bolt gun has a 10rd flush fit rotary mag and a can on it, makes about as much noise as a bb gun. My 22mag pistol has a 30 rnd mag. Yeah i know, keltec... :rolleyes:

Just what am I going to be doing in this here Apocalypse...?
That may play a part in what I choose.

Honestly if i want the best chance to hit whatever it is that needs to be shot...
I'll go with my Hawken Rifle....Its the rifle I shoot the best with.
I have won many a rifle contest with this Hawken ( shooting against modern rifles too at times )
And its kept me fed.

That said...
I have a Winchester 94 in .30-30 that works pretty good too...
But then my AR15 Carbine ...and its the "Apocalypse" after all....
I was also recently gifted a vintage .22 rifle that seems to hit just about everything....
Grandpa's shotgun outta be on the list...but then I have a slightly newer version of it as well...Hmmm...
And I have my Dad's...Series '70 Colt in .45ACP...I do shoot good with that...

Damn....maybe the apocalypse will be over before I have to decide....:D
Andy

Here's my two cents:
The emphasis for me is on the top five categories. You can choose whatever variant you want but I tend to want to make sure these bases are covered.
1. Battle rifle (AR/Mini14...etc)
2. Long range rifle (bolt gun)
3. Close quarter defense (shotgun)
4. Something cheap to shoot/train with (10-22)
5. Sidearm (pistol)
100% Spot on!

Screenshot_20200327-204031.png

Forgot one!

1. Training on how to build an AR from parts and how to shoot it well
2. Training on how to build a glock, sig, and 1911 platforms up from parts and shoot them well
3. Training on how to build up a lever action from parts...

You get the idea.

If it's the apocalypse, it doesn't matter what five I start with. If I'm still alive in six months to a year, I'll be scavenging crap just like everyone else. Since I live in the US, that means knowing everything about getting an AR, common handguns, and levers to work.

I'm about halfway there now. Anyone want to loan me a lever action? :D

Pretty sure you can get a 10/22 magnum too.
They kept breaking and are EXTREMELY expensive compared to a 10/22. ($1200 would be typical for what I have seen) Also, .22lr is fine for most things and is much cheaper than .22wmr. So it is much easier to stockpile and has probably killed more deer than any save muzzleloaders.

Maybe .22lr has killed more deer than .22wmr, but i guarantee .22wmr is better at it. So why not choose the better of the 2? A guy could carry a ridiculous amount of .22wmr ammo as easily as a ridiculous amount of .22lr. And if it costs a few more dollars for that stockpile, so what? Its just as easy to stockpile. Its a much better option all around.

Ive had whistle pigs almost shrug off .22lr hits, its really not a very capable round, not one i would stake my survival on. Unless i wanted to eat starlings for a living.

And for every deer thats been killed by a m22lr, i bet there have been several dozen thst were just wounded as nd ran off. And i bet many of the kills needed multiple shots. Better just to go with the wmr imo.

Maybe .22lr has killed more deer than .22wmr, but i guarantee .22wmr is better at it. So why not choose the better of the 2? A guy could carry a ridiculous amount of .22wmr ammo as easily as a ridiculous amount of .22lr. And if it costs a few more dollars for that stockpile, so what? Its just as easy to stockpile. Its a much better option all around.

How does 17hmr factor into this dilemma?

Ive had whistle pigs almost shrug off .22lr hits, its really not a very capable round, not one i would stake my survival on. Unless i wanted to eat starlings for a living.

And for every deer thats been killed by a m22lr, i bet there have been several dozen thst were just wounded as nd ran off. And i bet many of the kills needed multiple shots. Better just to go with the wmr imo.
If whistle pigs are shaking off hits, those hits are misses. Either that or you are shooting at a range too far.

Cost. Because. 22 magnum is pricier than 9mm. if your logic were heeded a few stages further we would be stockpiling 50bmg.

If you believe that, I presume you must not be a good shot compared to the old folks I know who filled their ice boxes with them. My great grandmother got quite a few deer with a .22lr but the bear in her kitchen got a 12gauge slug.

I would use different choices to most.
9mm carbine cx4
. 357 single shot henry with suppressor.
Ar
Ak
12gauge coach gun

If whistle pigs are shaking off hits, those hits are misses. Either that or you are shooting at a range too far.

Cost. Because. 22 magnum is pricier than 9mm. if your logic were heeded a few stages further we would be stockpiling 50bmg.

If you believe that, I presume you must not be a good shot compared to the old folks I know who filled their ice boxes with them. My great grandmother got quite a few deer with a .22lr but the bear in her kitchen got a 12gauge slug.

I would use different choices to most.
9mm carbine cx4
. 357 single shot henry with suppressor.
Ar
Ak
12gauge coach gun
Ive shot whistle pigs center mass inside of 20 yards with 22lr and had them break dance before getting into their holes

I dont know what world youre living in that 22wmr costs more than 9mm, but its not my world

Im a plenty good shot, but im also a law abiding and ethicsl hunter, so ive never shot a deer with any rimfire cartridge. But ballistic tables and basic common sense tell me that a 22wmr has a better chance of a clean kill on s deer thsn a 22lr does. Did you ever bother to ask your great grandma how many deer she shot with a 22lr that she wounded and failed to recover? I highly doubt it, and if you say you did ask her that, i will call bullbubblegum.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top