JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ive shot whistle pigs center mass inside of 20 yards with 22lr and had them break dance before getting into their holes

I dont know what world youre living in that 22wmr costs more than 9mm, but its not my world

Im a plenty good shot, but im also a law abiding and ethicsl hunter, so ive never shot a deer with any rimfire cartridge. But ballistic tables and basic common sense tell me that a 22wmr has a better chance of a clean kill on s deer thsn a 22lr does. Did you ever bother to ask your great grandma how many deer she shot with a 22lr that she wounded and failed to recover? I highly doubt it, and if you say you did ask her that, i will call bullbubblegum.
Call bubblegum all you like but she kept the family in meat with the quantity of ammo they could afford. She actually told the story of a bad shot. It was one of the reasons she encouraged us to learn to shoot well. She ate lots of squirrels as well.
I have actually never shot a deer, shot lots of coyote, rabbits squirrels and nuisance critters. I pay around .16 a round for 9mm. I have not seen 22 mag that cheap

Call bubblegum all you like but she kept the family in meat with the quantity of ammo they could afford. She actually told the story of a bad shot. It was one of the reasons she encouraged us to learn to shoot well. She ate lots of squirrels as well.
I have actually never shot a deer, shot lots of coyote, rabbits squirrels and nuisance critters. I pay around .16 a round for 9mm. I have not seen 22 mag that cheap
Youre buying fmj garbage 9mm.

In the end, no matter what kind of mental gymnastics you perform, a 22lr is not as capable as a 22wmr. Period. The end. Its just not

Single shot .22 lr for small game.
10/22 .22 lr for small game

Ar15 with bucket of spare parts

Hk p2000
Hk p2000

Spare parts for all. Spare mags 10+ each lots of ammo.

I have been pseudo prepping for the Apocalypse now for at least the last 10 minutes. I vote for:

- a new in box Apocalypse Rifle -15
- LNIB tacticool AR-9 with Glock magwell
- Win 94 with minty fresh barrel...no wait, I don't want to scratch the furniture
- Glock fan boy 9mm pistol with manual crank handled night lite. I chose the Glock because most of the people in my area don't speak German so the Volks Pistole 9 won't work
- 12 gauge shotgun with replaceable 28" and 20" barrels - cause I'm indecisive
- slingshot - cause rocks are plentiful as well as the .22 wmr casings that those other guys wiil leave laying about

:s0159:

...Oh, and a red radio flyer wagon, 'cause all this stuff is heavy and my Chiro is not a prepper.

Last Edited:
I have been pseudo prepping for the Apocalypse now for at least the last 10 minutes. I vote for:

- a new in box Apocalypse Rifle -15
- LNIB tacticool AR-9 with Glock magwell
- Win 94 with minty fresh barrel...no wait, I don't want to scratch the furniture
- Glock fan boy 9mm pistol with manual crank handled night lite. I chose the Glock because most of the people in my area don't speak German so the Volks Pistole 9 won't work
- 12 gauge shotgun with replaceable 28" and 20" barrels - cause I'm indecisive
- slingshot - cause rocks are plentiful as well as the .22 wmr casings that those other guys wiil leave laying about

:s0159:

...Oh, and a red radio flyer wagon, case all this stuff is heavy and my Chiro is not a prepper.
You forgot the body armor and sweet katana dude. Those are my top 2 priorities. Also, i think ill need me a badass mohawk.

Youre buying fmj garbage 9mm.

In the end, no matter what kind of mental gymnastics you perform, a 22lr is not as capable as a 22wmr. Period. The end. Its just not
Very nice German stuff actually. Bulk buying. Far more capable than .22wmr and cheaper.a .22 serves a purpose. Consider that 9mm is cheaper than .22wmr. .223 is not far behind. If I was going to buy ammo for a rifle in that cost bracket,it would be .223, or .357 which I got some defensive hollowpoints for around .32 each for.In the real world I have more than 5 guns. I have some .22mags. But 9mm is cheaper and more powerful. I shoot 9mm carbines out to 200 yards quite frequently. I'd rather have that.

I think I'd take:
1. Winchester model 94 - 30-30 Winchester
2. Mossberg 500 - 12 gauge
3. Marlin model 60 - .22lr
4. S&W model 66 - .357 Magnum
5. ... no that about does it, I suppose... aw heck, as long as we're fantasizing, give me an F-15..
:) :)

As to .22 lr vs. .22 mag, afraid I'll have to go with the old long rifle, if I had to have just one. Sure, the mag is definitely a more powerful round, but it's dramatically more expensive. I can reload quality .223 ammo for about the cost of 22WMR. The lowly .22lr is good enough for me, and cheap enough to buy in massive quantities. Don't underestimate the little 22 either. A long time ago I used to take care of the raccoons that the dog treed at night, when they were trying to get at the chickens on the farm. A good hit in the right place would take them down every single time, like a rock, and raccoons are tough creatures.

That's not to say that the .22 mag doesn't have it's place. It's a great round when you need it. Decades ago, on the farm, my dad had to put down a sick cow. He hates killing anything, but sometimes you've done all you can and there's no choice. I was in the shop working on something and I see him go by with his old Ruger .22lr pistol. I said you're not going to use that, are you?
He says why not, the mobile butcher uses a .22?
I said, no, actually he uses a .22 Magnum rifle, a WHOLE different animal altogether!

Well, he ignored me and walked off to where the cow was. I hear a "pop", then another, and as I recall a third. I was feeling sorry for the cow. He came in the shop and set his pistol on the work bench, then went out and started a tractor to drag the carcass off. I heard the tractor stop when he got to the cow. He then walked back in the shop and picked up his gun again, went out, and I heard another "pop". I really felt sorry for that poor old cow. I think maybe then he realized that a .22lr pistol is just not enough gun to reliably kill a cow. :( The magnum round is a lot more powerful, at least double out of a rifle.

Very nice German stuff actually. Bulk buying. Far more capable than .22wmr and cheaper.a .22 serves a purpose. Consider that 9mm is cheaper than .22wmr. .223 is not far behind. If I was going to buy ammo for a rifle in that cost bracket,it would be .223, or .357 which I got some defensive hollowpoints for around .32 each for. but it is sufficient for a lot of tasks. In the real world I have more than 5. I have some .22mags. But 9mm is cheaper and more powerful. I shoot 9mm carbines out to 200 yards quite frequently. I'd rather have that.
Thats cute, but the argument for rimfire is never price, its always "you can carry a lot of rounds because its small and lightweight "
So 9mm and 223 fails to be a comparison at that point, while 22wmr still is
I personally wouldnt choose any rimfire as a survivsl round, just making the point to those who do, using weight as their reason, that 22 wmr is superior.
If im going to carry 9mm, 223, or any centerfire, which i would, i wouldnt use chesp bubblegum bulk ammo, id be carrying quality hunting / self defense rounds.
Your entire argument seems based on cost per round, which is not the argument i was making to begin with.
If a guy is "prepared / prepping) for sn apocslypse scenario, as in the genersl point of this thread, he ought to be able to set sside a couple extra dollars here and there to supply himself with quality, effective ammunition.
But once again, i was never talking about cents per round, i was talking about the effectiveness of one cartridge over another. You seem to not understand that.

You forgot the body armor and sweet katana dude. Those are my top 2 priorities. Also, i think ill need me a badass mohawk.

Thanks for the reminder OP. I forgot to mention that I have been binge watching the Mad Max Road Warrior movies. They don't play lacrosse in my area, so does anyone know if some baseball catcher's equipment is a suitable substitute?

I'll leave the Mohawk for Andy54Hawkins and his period related rifles. I already have a big ugly head scar from an old water skiing accident, so I think a full head shave and I'm good.

Thats cute, but the argument for rimfire is never price, its always "you can carry a lot of rounds because its small and lightweight "

You forget one thing though; it's not always about weight. The .22lr is also relatively quiet. The .22 WMR is much louder.

For me, it's all about price though, but then I'm not an Apocalypse Prepper so I guess I shouldn't be posting on this thread at all. :)

You forget one thing though; it's not always about weight. The .22lr is also relatively quiet. The .22 WMR is much louder.

For me, it's all about price though, but then I'm not an Apocalypse Prepper so I guess I shouldn't be posting on this thread at all. :)
My 22wmr has a suppressor. With regular ammo its very quiet. With subsonic ammo, the bullet hitting the target makes more noise than the gun.

I took my suppressor from my 22" barrel 22wmr, and put it on my friends 16"22lr with subsonic smmo, and his lr was just as loud as my wmr.

Methinks you're the type of guy who likes to argue, and is never wrong...
Well i wont argue that, youre right

But seriously, peoples reasoning for calling 22lr a survival, apocalypse, shtf cartridge always boils down ti how small it is, how easy you can pack a lot. Thats why i compare the 22wmr to the 22lr. Once people start talking sbout 9mm and 223, theyre in a whole different debate, its just not the same thing. Especially since in every one of these debates, people choose a 22 AND a centerfire pistol and rifle. But look, little 22 rf cartridges arent in the same debate as actual cf cartridges.

20200327_230147_copy_800x450.jpg

Last Edited:
This thread reminds me a little of a group of guys standing around having fun, talking and laughing about whatever subject (cars, girls, motorcycles, etc.), offering opinions and joking around, but then you got the one guy who's irritated because the other guys won't recognize his very serious opinion, and he's ready to fist-fight anyone who disagrees. It kind of takes the fun out of it.

Or maybe this thread is for serious preppers only, in which case I must offer my humble apologies and take my leave. :)

This thread reminds me a little of a group of guys standing around having fun, talking and laughing about whatever subject (cars, girls, motorcycles, etc.), offering opinions and joking around, but then you got the one guy who's irritated because the other guys won't recognize his very serious opinion, and he's ready to fist-fight anyone who disagrees. It kind of takes the fun out of it.

Or maybe this thread is for serious preppers only, in which case I must offer my humble apologies and take my leave. :)
Okay, one question. Yes or no. Is the 22wmr more capable / versatile than the 22lr?

No anecdotal bs, just a straight answer. Which of the 2 cartridges is more capable?

Basically, your comment there is saying "i dont have a rational argument, so im just going to call you an bubblegum because i cant dispute your logic."

Ive been making my case politely and with respect, its called a debate. Youre resorting to bubblegum flinging and slander, which is what people do when they know theyre wrong, and logic wont support their views.

Last Edited:
So 9mm and 223 fails to be a comparison at that point, while 22wmr still is
I personally wouldnt choose any rimfire as a survivsl round, just making the point to those who do, using weight as their reason, that 22 wmr is superior.
If im going to carry 9mm, 223, or any centerfire, which i would, i wouldnt use chesp bubblegum bulk ammo, id be carrying quality hunting / self defense rounds.
Your entire argument seems based on cost per round, which is not the argument i was making to begin with.
If a guy is "prepared / prepping) for sn apocslypse scenario, as in the genersl point of this thread, he ought to be able to set sside a couple extra dollars here and there to supply himself with quality, effective ammunition.
But once again, i was never talking about cents per round, i was talking about the effectiveness of one cartridge over another. You seem to not understand that.
The argument is frequently cost. In fact it is the honest reason I have a large quantity, that and I enjoy shooting it a lot, suppressed. If I was prepping for a long term gun, I would plan on mostly shooting ball ammo. and I'd stash a lot. The ammunition I am referring to would be very lethal out of a rifle. my ball ammo out of a 9mm is going to be more effective than a .22wmr. Cheaper, more effective, and not tremendously bigger than .22wmr. In an apocalyptic scenario, I would want to last, and hunt and have defense which to me, seems like the big factor is going to be the stocks you were able to lay in, which is coming down to cost. Once you leave the humble .22lr you find yourself slowly sliding up the calibers. 9mm is still quite compact.

Actually, in a survival scenario, I'd probably end up with my silly mpa defender. So many positives and it bumps like no tomorrow.

The argument is frequently cost. In fact it is the honest reason I have a large quantity, that and I enjoy shooting it a lot, suppressed. If I was prepping for a long term gun, I would plan on mostly shooting ball ammo. and I'd stash a lot. The ammunition I am referring to would be very lethal out of a rifle. my ball ammo out of a 9mm is going to be more effective than a .22wmr. Cheaper, more effective, and not tremendously bigger than .22wmr. In an apocalyptic scenario, I would want to last, and hunt and have defense which to me, seems like the big factor is going to be the stocks you were able to lay in, which is coming down to cost. Once you leave the humble .22lr you find yourself slowly sliding up the calibers. 9mm is still quite compact.

Actually, in a survival scenario, I'd probably end up with my silly mpa defender. So many positives and it bumps like no tomorrow.
So how much ammo can you carry? Really, maybe spend less on cable and beer, buy quality ammo? Humans are weak, yeah chesp bubblegum fmj should be able to deal with them. But wild animals... they can take a lickin and keep on tickin. I wouldnt even consider shooting a deer or anything of the sort with junkass bulk fmj ammo, unless i knew it was a perfect brain shot. And st that point, a rimfire would do fine. Probably better actuslly, as i dont trust the consistency and accuracy of bulk fmj ammo. And at the end of the day, $0.25 per round for .22wmr, is that really too expensive to lay a stash by, if youre going to stash a rimfire round? If you cant afford a couple thousand rounds of that over a few years, youre probably making some terrible life decisions.

Im saying weight is the argument here, not cost per round, because this threads entire premise is what would be best in an apocalypse. So how many rounds you can carry is the consideration, not how fat your savings account is.

Last Edited:
I'm bored so I'll play...

Me:
AK
Beretta 92

Wife:
AR-15
G17

Daughter:
870 Remington Police
Ruger MK3 hunter (yea it's .22lr:D:p;))

I guess that's 6 for 3 people though.

That isn't for some imaginary trek out to my wild game filled super awesome self sustaining cabin out in the middle of nowhere.

It's 99.99% guaranteed Im hunkering down and protecting the house and family.

I will say I'd like to acquire a good AR9 pistol with Glock mag well for having in the vehicle when I'm out and about but I won't buy one till my financial situation improves and gun prices lower again- I'm patient and can afford to wait till then.

I'm bored so I'll play...

Me:
AK
Beretta 92

Wife:
AR-15
G17

Daughter:
870 Remington Police
Ruger MK3 hunter (yea it's .22lr:D:p;))

I guess that's 6 for 3 people though.

That isn't for some imaginary trek out to my wild game filled super awesome self sustaining cabin out in the middle of nowhere.

It's 99.99% guaranteed Im hunkering down and protecting the house and family.

I will say I'd like to acquire a good AR9 pistol with Glock mag well for having in the vehicle when I'm out and about but I won't buy one till my financial situation improves and gun prices lower again- I'm patient and can afford to wait till then.
Hell, if youre hunkering down at home, the right answer is "every gun i own" ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top