JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's tough to just pick 5:
1. Custom Battle Arms Development AR-15 (.223)
2. Sig MPX K (9mm)
3. Benelli M4 Tactical (12-Ga.)
4. Tactical Solutions X-Ring (.22 LR)
5. FN Scar 17S (.308)

Top 5 Calibers_pe.jpg

Why do people always say .22lr for a bug out / shtf gun? The only rational argument i hear is that the ammo is small / lightweight. But .22wmr ammo still fits thst bill, but gives a significant increase in power. Screw a .22lr, .22wmr ftw.

Why do people always say .22lr for a bug out / shtf gun? The only rational argument i hear is that the ammo is small / lightweight. But .22wmr ammo still fits thst bill, but gives a significant increase in power. Screw a .22lr, .22wmr ftw.
Easy to carry a lot of .22lr ammo around, it's a common caliber, great for hunting small game, can work as a defensive round, and it's quiet! A hell of a lot of people own a Ruger 10/22. Spare parts available.

Here's my two cents:
The emphasis for me is on the top five categories. You can choose whatever variant you want but I tend to want to make sure these bases are covered.
1. Battle rifle (AR/Mini14...etc)
2. Long range rifle (bolt gun)
3. Close quarter defense (shotgun)
4. Something cheap to shoot/train with (10-22)
5. Sidearm (pistol)

Here's my two cents:
The emphasis for me is on the top five categories. You can choose whatever variant you want but I tend to want to make sure these bases are covered.
5. Sidearm (pistol)
Can't argue those choices!

A Ruger 10/22 would be one of my five. The amount of 22LR you can stow in a backpack is light years more than any other round. And there are many 20/30 round magazines for a 10/22.

Here's my two cents:
5. Sidearm (pistol)
I'm all set then! With the exception of one.

Here's my two cents:
5. Sidearm (pistol)

^^^This^^^

My personal list includes:
1)XDM 4.5" in .40 with a 9mm conversion barrel.
2) XDM 3.8 in 9mm. Ruggedness and modularity colored my decision... plus now I'm fully invested in magazines so, yeah... Glock does that stuff too bit I'm not changing platforms now.
3) An AR... probably the one I call my "Heavy Carbine" (as opposed to the "Light Carbine")... better trigger, free-floated, more sighting options available "on board" at any given time... that's why it's so heavy.
4) Mossberg 590, whatever comes out the door w me. A spare 28" barrel would make it more versatile for taking game.
5) 10/22 takedown model. When things settle into "new normal" status it will get a workout (hopefully) taking small game.

I don't currently own a bolt or lever action rifle so neither got included. I'd put a 30-30 lever or 3006 bolt gun in there... somewhere... maybe dump the AR for it.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads