JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have tried bore snakes and I like them although they do get oil/grime soaked over time. I have had the little brass end (weight) come off though.

can't stand threaded aluminum or brass cleaning rods. I always break them.

anybody recommend a carbon fiber one piece rod, cable rod, or other? What works for you? Should I stick with bore snake and try to clean them with alcohol soak or something?

thx for any ideas!

Bore snakes are good and have their uses, they're designed to be washed in the washing machine though as they do hold the dirt and become ineffective.

I normally use my Tipton and Gunslick one piece carbon rods, they have ball-raced handles so the brushes follow the rifling as intended and clean brilliantly.

Dewey do offer coated metal rods, but they're a poor second choice to actual carbon fibre if you you're shying away from metal to begin with.

I use Outers brand carbon fiber rods with the brass tip and the bearing, which allows to rod to spin freely. Used hundreds of times without fail, easily worth the $30

I like the Dewey, but I'm a one direction only type and like to do it fast. Homemade resin filled composite rods with threaded brass ferrules on both ends. Unmounted T-handle for pushing only. The rod is backwards in the pic, brush or jag goes first.
s0JgNfql.jpg

One piece carbon fiber rod works for me.
I find that if its bending enough to break Im doing it wrong and stop.

I have bore snakes for quick wipes while hunting otherwise I'm not a fan of them and prefer one piece rods. The new carbons are great and much better than the aluminum with plastic coatings
Breaking rods? the only rod I've actually had broken in sixty years was sat on by a hunting friend a long time ago albeit I have worn out a few brass thread on the rod ends. Try pulling instead of pushing, better for your chamber and wood . or could mean too much patch. try buying patches to fit the application instead of cramming a chunk of old shirt tail down too small a hole.

Snakes are cheap. Once too caked up, it gets tossed and I get a new one.

Has anyone used the tipton maxforce rod? It apparently allows you to move the handle down the rod so you are not always pushing/pulling from the very end. Interesting concept. I would be worried about failure of their clamping mechanism possibly but I have never used or seen in person. I worry when I see fairly complex mechanisms like that cuz if they use an inferior plastic on any one part of it, the whole thing is shot. Also plastic parts "clamping" onto the rod over and over could easily deform, abrade, or crack/wear out. All it would take is a little wobble room in the mechanism and it wouldn't clamp tight anymore I would think. If they used more metal on the mechanism I would be less worried long term. I'm kinda thinking of going with a simple carbon fiber rod. I'm thinking 22 size rod and then use an adapter for higher caliber/shotgun brushes, patch holders, etc. Carbon fiber should be o.k for that I would guess.

Last Edited:
I have used most of the cleaning rods/snakes available.

I have found nothing better than the Bore Tech cleaning rods, won't buy anything else ever again.

I have used most of the cleaning rods/snakes available.

I have found nothing better than the Bore Tech cleaning rods, won't buy anything else ever again.
I'm glad you mentioned these I didn't know about them. I've been looking at several rods and I had to scrounge, scrounge, scgrounge to find the details I wanted for nearly all. Then with this boretech site, everything is layed out simply and clearly with all details right up front. It's very clear that those designers put a heck of a lot of thought into it and know what they are doing. For example they make different jags for 22LR and 22 caliber centerfire. I have never seen that anywhere else (I do like the montana X-treme jags also). Also using different materials for the jags instead of brass (see below). Color me impressed. My experience in the past is with companies like this that have very very high attention to detail you often end up with a better product and if you need it, better support. I was reading on one of the popular carbon fiber rods the parent company has/had? 3 different names (brand name did not change) and I saw many reports of poeple not being able to even contact anyone at the company when the product broke. Companies that pay attention to details of design, go to the trouble of that level of detail and clarity on website, etc. are usually good to work with long term in my experience. ...But then again, it's just a dang rod... :p
ioereoiriwjdew.JPG
kcjoiwejdoiewdjoiwejd.JPG
cckddasnasljsaldjs.JPG
defefewew.JPG
sdwe23d2ee3.JPG

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show