JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Many firearms can be cleaned with just basic tools. A few have some tight, difficult to reach places. The sides of the feed ramp on the Ruger Mark series .22 pistols would be one example. Cleaning in and around extractors would be another example.
I've started using very tiny/micro swabs and paintbrushes which are available at hobby stores. The upper item to the left of the penny is a tiny paintbrush. The lower item is a tiny swab. To the right of the penny is a normal Q-Tip for scale. Both items are available at Hobby Lobby Sherwood. The hobby store in Wilsonville near Costco has the brushes but not sure about the swabs. And, of course, there's always Amazon.

1687811412183.png

Very nice tip!

My favorite for tight areas, a saturated cotton swab, a bit of time, followed by compressed air.

I was given a tooth pick holder my a dentist many years ago for getting in to spots not accessible straight in.
Stick a wood pick in one end, tighten the collar and break off the excess.
A good concept but I never really used it for my teeth.
One day I was having trouble getting at some grit in my gun, and didn't want to make a federal case tearing it down to get at it.
Although I had to drill out the tooth pick hole in it just a tiny bit to accept the Q Tip size, it has since become one of the handiest tools in the cleaning box.
1687813375652.png Up to you to picture Q Tips in it :rolleyes:

I was given a tooth pick holder my a dentist many years ago for getting in to spots not accessible straight in.
Stick a wood pick in one end, tighten the collar and break off the excess.
A good concept but I never really used it for my teeth.
One day I was having trouble getting at some grit in my gun, and didn't want to make a federal case tearing it down to get at it.
Although I had to drill out the tooth pick hole in it just a tiny bit to accept the Q Tip size, it has since become one of the handiest tools in the cleaning box.
View attachment 1443716Up to you to picture Q Tips in it :rolleyes:
Dental tools are a blessing too. Got a set off Amazon for picking at my teeth. However one that didn't get used for that ended up in the gun drawer with the rest of the cleaning supplies. Just don't use them for both!

1687814204611.jpeg

Dental tools are a blessing too. Got a set off Amazon for picking at my teeth. However one that didn't get used for that ended up in the gun drawer with the rest of the cleaning supplies. Just don't use them for both!

View attachment 1443727
That was going to be my suggestion.

If you need a non marring pick I just put a piece of heat shrink on it and use it till I want a steel pick and cut it off.

Rinse and repeat - heat shrink kits are about $9 for a very large variety 1000 pack on amazon.

View attachment 1443727
Can't beat dental tools for getting into the nooks and crannies…. Have a set in my gun cleaning kit, as well as tooth brushes.

My guns have the best teeth and gums :s0140:

I also like make-up brushes for scrubbing out tighter locations. Just have to think outside the box.

Check out your (usually) female significant others nail care stash. There are these wooden sticks that are pointed on one end and cut at a diagonal on the other side. They are known as cuticle or orange (don't know why) sticks. They are amazing, made of wood so they don't mar surfaces.

Available in a 5 pack at the store for $5 or 250 on the internet for about the same price. You decide. My favorite nook and cranny tool.

I go through quite a few Q-Tips here. I rarely have to buy them, usually I get cast-offs from Mrs. Merkt that she's decided she doesn't like for one reason or another. Also, I've got some of those long-stem surgical swabs. Basically Q-Tips on a long stick. I found a bunch of these at the Goodwill Outlet store. I use both of these types a lot on AR's and pistols.

I found some brass dental picks, not sure who uses brass on their teeth, but I don't stick pokey things in my mouth! Brushes for dentures are awesome. I picked up some baby cotton swaps for ears and nostrils, they are really tiny. I may have acquired an eyebrow brush from a drawer too. Who brushes their eyebrows? Nobody anymore in my house :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top