JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ive always wondered if simple green would properly clean guns and carbon.

SFL-0 Lubriplate grease is designed for use in the food industry.... not that its ok to get it on the food.

None of the common cleaners I suggest are "non toxic". I wouldn't injest them, and wear gloves during use.
Household ammonia, straight up, to remove copper.
White vinegar, straight up, to remove lead.
I have read others writing about mixing vinegar and ammonia together. I have never tried.
Weak solution of sodium bicarbonate & KNO (saltpeter) to neutralize the vinegar.
If your barrel isn't already clean, simple green to remove carbon.
I use Ballistol or CLP to lube.

Big big fan of wipeout/patch out products. No clue on how toxic it is or not but seems much less harmful than other bore cleaners - butches, Barnes, etc. but the results are fantastic

What is favorite non toxic clp or gun care product
5203E720-C615-4DF1-95D8-918FA48FB8BB.jpeg
:p

Actually ballistol I'm fine with as it's simply anise oil, an organic ester and has worked well for a very long time (I mean in guns, not just as an internal medicine -ballistol is sold as both). My ffl did some trigger work on a gun for me and used froglube. I will never let anyone use that on my guns again. Made a funky tar like substance that holds contaminants and now I'll probably have to take the pistol apart to get rid of it all and put some good dry lube on all those parts.

In almost every application I've seen non-toxic or soy boy lubes are inferior. I've developed engine oils with some of the best tribologists in the world and there are always gigantic trade offs with these (which are usually made for the purpose of marketing it as an eco-friendly lube). They are not for me. But everyone has different standards and preferences. It doesn't mean they are bad, it's just that if you want the best performance in a lube there are usually (always?) much better products out there than the eco ones. I have no problem with ballistol as a lube and the synthetic ester based Eezox works very similarly.

Last Edited:
"Ballistol contains medicinal grade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and an oil
from vegetal seeds. The mineral oil is unchlorinated and conforms to the specifications of US Pharmacopeia XX."

Basically mineral oil, alcohol, and acetone. I might try to mix my own and see how it performs as you can get a gallon of mineral oil in Amazon for dirt cheap. If you don't hear from me in awhile I've succumbed to the fumes. ☠️

I read a chemist's analysis (second hand) of Frog Lube and it's basically coconut oil and wintergreen, plus some chemical to keep it viscous at lower temperatures.

"Ballistol contains medicinal grade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and an oil
from vegetal seeds. The mineral oil is unchlorinated and conforms to the specifications of US Pharmacopeia XX."

Basically mineral oil, alcohol, and acetone. I might try to mix my own and see how it performs as you can get a gallon of mineral oil in Amazon for dirt cheap. If you don't hear from me in awhile I've succumbed to the fumes. ☠️

I read a chemist's analysis (second hand) of Frog Lube and it's basically coconut oil and wintergreen, plus some chemical to keep it viscous at lower temperatures.
You are forgetting the most important part. Foolish to mix up home brew Bullbubblegum when you can buy well formulated oils or better yet dry lube, such as ceramic dry lube.

You are forgetting the most important part. Foolish to mix up home brew Bullbubblegum when you can buy well formulated oils or better yet dry lube, such as ceramic dry lube.
I'll pretty much stick to motor oil for my ARs and pistols and white lithium grease for my AKs. That's internals. Just trying to settle on what to use as a protectant externally, maybe mineral oil?

I almost exclusively use breakthrough clean at my house and personal shop for my own personal guns, customer guns and gunsmithing.

At the shop, I use breakthrough clean and whatever we have.
Most of their products are clear except their CLP. They do not have an odor and they have an entire line of products even suppressor cleaner.
They also sell from small sample sizes to a 5 gallon drums (they used to sell 55 gallon lol!) and all the sizes in between. They do not do aerosol cans and are all pump, which if you are going for the non-toxic green route, is perfect.

https://www.breakthroughclean.com/

Only complaint is the triggers on their larger spray bottle suck. Which I end up changing out or transferring to another bottle

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top