JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A good example would be if you were being shot at at 200 yards.
If it's all you have.......

I guess there are a number of plausible scenarios that must be vetted out then, like what if you only have bow and arrow, or slingshot... should be added to the list of never ending scenarios of being shot at from 200yds away.
I get it though I agree with being prepared and knowing what you can do with ones Glock or whatever. Not a problem here practicing at longer distances....
But who here actually practices at these distances with a 9mm or whatever? Apparently Sagia308 does... but even he didnt even hit the target once with his pistols. Is it realistic to believe your 9mm is gonna get you outta that jam or would it be better to practice other solutions like cover and closing the gap?

I think this would be more fun if Sagia308 actually participated here.

A good example would be if you were being shot at at 200 yards.
Yes. A friend of mine was shot at while hunting. Several shots, all close misses. He couldn't see where they were coming from across a meadow. He was at the edge of the meadow and just retreated, getting out of sight and putting many trees between himself and attacker. This was 30 years ago or more.

Even OPs poor shooting with these particular pistols at 200 yards might be enough to save him, were someone shooting at him from 200 yards, as he might only need to make an attacker feel at risk to make attacker cease and withdraw. And several shots landing within ten feet would constitute a serious risk in most peoples eye I suspect.

Bears don't attack wolverines not because they can't fight and beat a wolverine. Its because they can't fight a wolverine without serious risk of injury.

205 yards is less than the standard range for IHMSA

silhouette trophy.jpg

I guess the idea has merit if one practices it.

So I take it no one here has ever looked at that white rock on yonder hillside and wondered if they can hit it? Of course it might be me, as I don't carry a 9mm.
That's my favorite type of shooting...casual , lets see if you can hit that , kinda shooting.
Way more fun , for me at least , then "drills" or the like....

Shooting for me at least....is supposed to be fun...I had my fill of serious shooting , while in the Army.
Andy

That's my favorite type of shooting...casual , lets see if you can hit that , kinda shooting.
Way more fun , for me at least , then "drills" or the like....

Shooting for me at least....is supposed to be fun...I had my fill of serious shooting , while in the Army.
Andy
I'm way behind on my "fun" shooting let alone any matches I'd like to shoot. Maybe I need to retire.....Oh wait I already did and then, silly me, I started an ammunition company to get my hobby to be self supporting and now I have no time for shooting sports... wash, rinse and repeat!

I often shoot 70 and 100 yards a magazine each distance. I use 40 S&W, 357 Sig, and 10 MM, I think 9MM and 45 ACP are harder to shoot those distances accurately.

I don't shoot my 9 much, but once I get the hold over figured out I can hit a decommissioned 5 gal propane tank pretty regularly with my 45 ACP 1911 at 100yds. It should be even easier with the 38 super.

but once I get the hold over figured out I can hit a decommissioned 5 gal propane tank pretty regularly with my 45 ACP 1911 at 100yds.
Yep - I have done this many times myself with my 1911 as well. It's really not hard to do, like you say, once you get the holdover figured out (and resting!) but 4-5 times out of 7 round mag is about normal.

Now, I tried it with my 2" mod 60 S & W and I think it was one hit out of 10 !

not certain why anyone would ever need to shoot a self defense pistol out to 200yds?, ...
Not disagreeing with you, but...

10 years ago I was in a range-calendar meeting where representatives from various disciplines were trying to reserve their match dates for their disciplines. There was mild conflict over some dates.

This one guy was badmouthing other disciplines. He questioned why the 1000-yard guys need to shoot at targets they can't even see.
Our Club doesn't have traps or clay sports, but his diatribe extended to bashing Sporting Clays in favor of Trap.

My lesson from that day: he was not helping "the cause."
My takeaway mantra from that day: "All shooting sports are good. No friend of shooting sports should ever pick favorites or disparage other sports."

The Saiga308 guy is interesting. I've clicked more than one of his threads. It's not my cup of tea, but it's interesting.

Several years ago, my son and I shot hunting rifles with bipods at the local friendly open 1000-yard match.
One rifle shot 16" 5-shot groups, three times in a row. Our goal was a minute or better, and this rifle with its load would not print a minute group. But it printed 1.5 minute groups 3 times in a row. It was a light barrel, tapered profile; a "whip" to some people.
We were talking about it, discussing whether a load tweak might tighten things up, or whether 1.5moa was the best that light barrel could do at 1000 yards.
This old guy sitting a few feet away commented, "I wouldn't want to be down there while you were shooting at me with that rifle."

I ran a 3-gun series here for 1.5 seasons. It was about 6 years ago. It died off from lack of participation and help.
One of my stages had a bonus pistol target: an 18"x30" steel plate at 80 yards from the shooting position.
There were only about 10 people at the match, including one female. Everyone tried it, and if I recall, almost everyone hit it pretty quickly.

So I guess I echo the thoughts of others here.
The Saiga308 guy is pretty close when he misses. I wouldn't want to be his target.

If you know how to use your pistol to suppress a threat at long range, then your skillset includes that skill.
If you don't, then it doesn't.

Cheers. :)

My lesson from that day: he was not helping "the cause."
My takeaway mantra from that day: "All shooting sports are good. No friend of shooting sports should ever pick favorites or disparage other sports."
Hopefully I didnt disparage the cause or shooting sports, I mostly was hoping Sagia308 would participate here if I egged him on a bit... he posts vids of pistol shooting at longer ranges occasionally but doesnt really make a case for why or what his goals are. Some of his vids have been interesting to know whats possible, too bad he doesnt want to participate in his own postings

years ago I bought a 10mm for hiking etc. and wanted to see how it would do at 100yds... iirc I hit a paper plate but I think that was luck but did better at 50yards. Havent practiced that in years, so maybe I should put 100yds back into my routine.

I did some fun plinking at 100 or so yards with my model 14 s&w, 9" pie tin hanging from a tree. 148 grain fully seated wadcutters with gas checks. Once holdover was dialed in, hit almost every shot in about a three inch group.

@Koda, I didn't take your post as disparaging, and I think it was pretty clear that you were interested in eliciting a response from Saiga308.

Many times I have been gently reminded by NWF members that a thing I said could be taken more than one way.

:cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads