JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Found this pistol. Took it to a local gun shop and said it can fire but they do not know the origin, anything would help

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Neat pistol.
Looks like it might be a French or Belgium civilian pistol of the 1850's - 1870's.

Can't quite make out the signature on the barrel...this could be either the maker of the pistol...
Or just the barrel maker....
Very often You can't say for sure that the name on the barrel was the maker of the entire firearm...
The same can be said for the name on lock plate also....
You need to look at the firearm as whole...to get a clue as to who the maker was.
A picture of lock and lock plate would be helpful here.

It appears that the pistol suffered some damage and has a broken nose cap / forearm end...and a missing ramrod.

As far as for shooting....
Taking the pistol apart and inspecting it is a must do...especially the breech end and stock.
As is filling in age cracks....and changing out the original nipple for a modern replacement.
Springs in the lock along with the tumbler and sear need to be looked at.
Light loads are also a must do.
I have shot some of my original muzzle loaders...and they are fun , however...
If you want to shoot a muzzle loading firearm a lot....then I would suggest getting a high quality replica.
Andy

Last Edited:
Some gunsmith "Fischers" in Norway. Any other markings?

"The only option of the makers signature FISCHER can be a number of different gun makers around 1750 working in Zella St. Blasii"
-------------------------------------------
and from:

FISCHER, George
Unidentified. Maker of a combination rifle and shotgun.
FISCHER, Gustav
New York, N. Y., before and after 1860. Breech loading sporting or target rifles.
Fischer, Gustav
Gunmaker of New York City, i860.
---------------------

Bruce

Something to consider here is that the pistol is not of American styling or design.
This pistol could easily be a WWII bring back...lot of gunsmiths made pistols of old or antique parts for the GI souvenir trade just after WWII.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads