JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How many times has Colt filed for bankruptcy? That's an important track record to consider. Also "milspec" means "lowest bidder to meet the minimum requirements."

Firstly, I'll just get this out of the way; I don't currently own a Colt AR and I'm no fanboy.
Secondly, bankruptcy is completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Thirdly, Mil-Spec is a standard. It contains that standards that must be met. Colt is one of the companies that follows this standard. My point is that if this is what the OP is looking for - the Colt 6920 is a great option. If he doesn't care he can buy whatever he wants.

Firstly, I'll just get this out of the way; I don't currently own a Colt AR and I'm no fanboy.

Thirdly, Mil-Spec is a standard. It contains that standards that must be met. Colt is one of the companies that follows this standard. My point is that if this is what the OP is looking for - the Colt 6920 is a great option. If he doesn't care he can buy whatever he wants.
Username checks out.

No offense, but you can buy an MP tested BCG anywhere. I can match the accuracy of a 6920 with an upper assembly from PSA, a decent trigger and BGC, and just about anybody's metal lower. Easy $750 or less, especially right now. I'm not the only one here who's done it either. I get your point, and I like Colts. A Colt is better than your average AR, but not by a lot.

Username checks out.

Says something about Colt you don't like and you attack him (a new member btw) classy. :rolleyes:

DOPE
Data on Previous Engagement

How many times has Colt filed for bankruptcy? That's an important track record to consider. Also "milspec" means "lowest bidder to meet the minimum requirements."

FWIW, the biggest issue with Colt is that they lost the M4 contract because they couldn't maintain the standard, this is why FN-USA is now making all of the military contract M4's.

Yes, provided they follow the standard (until they don't and lose the contract).

To the OP, the 6920 is an AR, there are many offerings that are cheaper for similar quality. I highly recommend PSA, Stag, or the S&W M&P-15 (this is different from the sport-15).

I can firmly attest that those are some of the most budget friendly/high quality brands on the market. If you want to get a bit fancier, you can put the money down on the FN-15 (FNH) however most of the parts are made by PSA.

As many have stated, if you are thinking about ever reselling the gun, Colt may be worth the money. Personally I've never been impressed by their quality of workmanship, and generally they have a "it says colt on the side, so we don't have to do a good job for people to buy it".

The #1 way I can tell how much the manufacturer cares is if they cut off the forging line on the receiver. This is a line that essentially cuts the lower in half along the long axis of the gun. You will see it in the rear handguard area, in the trigger guard, and on the front of the lower. If there is a rough-jagged line there, that means they didn't bother taking the extra machining step to at least grind it flat. On some lowers there will be a flat-spot there. However I have seen a number of colts that had simply jagged forging lines.

Personally, I don't buy guns like I used to, and I'm always looking to figure out where the quality vs price curve is. At the moment the PSA is my favorite, however that is subject to change. The specific model I have has a cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel. I shoot a fair amount and for ammo testing, I needed a gun that was as close as I could get to an issue M4 without having to file NFA paperwork, (for function and accuracy testing) and the PSA so far perfectly matches the M4 in all the ways that count.

FWIW, the biggest issue with Colt is that they lost the M4 contract because they couldn't maintain the standard, this is why FN-USA is now making all of the military contract M4's.

Yes, provided they follow the standard (until they don't and lose the contract).

To the OP, the 6920 is an AR, there are many offerings that are cheaper for similar quality. I highly recommend PSA, Stag, or the S&W M&P-15 (this is different from the sport-15).

I can firmly attest that those are some of the most budget friendly/high quality brands on the market. If you want to get a bit fancier, you can put the money down on the FN-15 (FNH) however most of the parts are made by PSA.

As many have stated, if you are thinking about ever reselling the gun, Colt may be worth the money. Personally I've never been impressed by their quality of workmanship, and generally they have a "it says colt on the side, so we don't have to do a good job for people to buy it".

The #1 way I can tell how much the manufacturer cares is if they cut off the forging line on the receiver. This is a line that essentially cuts the lower in half along the long axis of the gun. You will see it in the rear handguard area, in the trigger guard, and on the front of the lower. If there is a rough-jagged line there, that means they didn't bother taking the extra machining step to at least grind it flat. On some lowers there will be a flat-spot there. However I have seen a number of colts that had simply jagged forging lines.

Personally, I don't buy guns like I used to, and I'm always looking to figure out where the quality vs price curve is. At the moment the PSA is my favorite, however that is subject to change. The specific model I have has a cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel. I shoot a fair amount and for ammo testing, I needed a gun that was as close as I could get to an issue M4 without having to file NFA paperwork, (for function and accuracy testing) and the PSA so far perfectly matches the M4 in all the ways that count.

Good info on the relationship between PSA and FN. I knew Colt had QC problems a few years back, but from what I understand they have worked out the issues. Don't matter to me, though, because I buy for utility value and not for resale.

No offense taken. A PSA with a MPI bolt and no name lower is just that. I would not define that as a "way better rifle". Sure you save a couple hundred dollars. But if you spend a couple hundred and get a factory colt you are money ahead if you sell, especially if you needed to during a panic. And that's my point. I don't consider my colts to be especially accurate, just average. But that roll mark, colt marked parts, factory tests, and extras, plus the market determine the best value for me at least.

For anyone interested here's a pretty good article on what to look for, and features that may be desirable. The AR15 Buyer's Guide: Simple Steps for Buying a Great Rifle

Small excerpt:

Lets look at, in my opinion, the most important specifications a manufacturer can adhere to:

• High Pressure Tested bolt and barrel
  • Magnetic Particle Inspection of bolt and barrel
  • Shot-peened bolt
  • Gas key properly staked
  • Mil-Spec 11595E Barrel Steel (or 4150 steel)
  • Chrome lined barrel (unless your buying a stainless steel or nitrided barrel)
  • M4 feed ramps (the modern standard)
  • 5.56 NATO chamber (alternative: .223Wylde)
As a rule of thumb… these are selling points. A manufacturer wants to inform the purchaser that their rifle meets these certifications. As you are browsing for a rifle, look for the above specifications. If the manufacturer doesn't tell you that the bolt is MPI, HPT, and shot-peened, then it probably isn't.

Which is why my first build during the panic was a BCM 14.5 middie complete upper less the bolt, with an ALG ACT, somebody's LPK and an Aero Precision stripped lower, so easy even a caveman like me could do it. Fits and shoots flawlessly.

Brutus out

The Colt worship is a throwback to the days when they were the gold standard compared to the only other real games in town, Bushmaster or Oly. These days they make a good rifle like DOZENS of other manufacturers. So as far as resale, I don't think it means what it once did. Generally me and most guys I know look right past the Colts for sale.

Quick side note since PSA was mentioned. FN makes their CHF barrels only I believe. I don't know who makes their Freedom or PTAC barrels which are their budget barrels.

Quick side note since PSA was mentioned. FN makes their CHF barrels only I believe. I don't know who makes their Freedom or PTAC barrels which are their budget barrels.

As of 2012 the "nitrolon" are made by wilson combat according to some sources.

Also, there was some discussion of MPI, I happened to have my rifle out the other day, and it was marked MPI. I actually hadn't noticed it until someone mentioned it.

I'd say it's just a standard where compatible parts will fit. How much better is a Colt than the next off the shelf manufacturer? Put the Colt next too an M&P 15 Sport? What's the test outside of a spec sheet? They will both perform better than most shooters. You probably can't find 10 owners to complain about either. One can always buy a high end upper (if that's a real thing or not) if they just want to spend more money.

Username checks out.

Okay, I get it, I'
I responded harshly because both points I made were dismissed out of hand. New account, troll, throwaway, they all look the same.

I wasn't going to reply back to you because I'm not looking for a fight. I am not a troll and nothing I said was meant to be offensive or controversial. It's just my opinion. You have yours and I have mine. We disagree and there's nothing wrong with that. You are the one who tried to make it personal, not me.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the end of the discussion unless you are willing to have a meaningful discussion regarding the merits of your point vs. mine. I have an open mind and I'm willing to listen and if I'm wrong about something, I'll even admit it. Oh, and I wasn't being dismissive to your point regarding bankruptcy. It has noting to do with the point that I made - that you disagree with. That's why it's irrelevant to this discussion. If you feel I'm wrong about that, I'm willing to listen......

Best regards,

DOPE

PM me the next time you're in WA. Bring your 6920. ;)
Sorry I won't be over there for a bit and I ,more than likely won't ever buy a colt ar when there are others I'd rather buy for the same money
And to whoever said bankruptcy doesn't play in to this convo,it should. Once money is tight thing stop happening,parts may not be made as good,costs are cut wherever they can be.
So generally ,quality can fall off everywhere

The Colt 6920 is an excellent top tier AR...and probably the cheapest top tier AR out there. You can't go wrong with it if you like the way it's configured (ie 16 inch, carbine length gas system with fixed front sight post). A mid length gas system will be a bit softer shooting but we're talking about AR's so it's not like it's anything major.

Do give some consideration to your ultimate plans for the rifle. For example, if your ultimate goal is to run a red dot or some other type of optic, then a flat top with low profile gas block is probably what you're looking for...in which case you could get the 6920 OEM2 version and finish it off with whatever butt stock, hand guard and optic you want. This is really a personal choice but I, for one, hate a fixed front sight post sticking up in the middle of my optic. Or you could always convert it and cut off/swap the front sight post for a low pro gas block, etc. But why go through the hassle and expense if you already know what you ultimately want? YMMV

Two other options I always suggest for first time, top tier AR purchases are BCM and Daniel Defense. All three guns are excellent choices and you couldn't go wrong with any of them. My person preference would be DD, followed by BCM, and then the Colt...and that's probably how their priced from high to low.

Note and disclaimer...I own all three of these guns. The DD is my fav. It's just a little nicer than the BCM and a bit nicer (fit and finish) than the Colt. But again, no bad choices here.

Now, if you're looking for a good entry level, non top tier, AR, the M&P Sport is pretty hard to beat. It's not considered top tier but it's a solid choice for a bit less.

This may be worth some consideration. I haven't heard any complaints about Colt's quality suffering lately but if the warranty and "service after the sale" are important to you, then you will want to think about how long Colt will continue to be around. I'm not up on the latest with regards to their financial situation so maybe others have some input to this.

I would just like to come out and apologies for the post I would have made earlier [But did not].

It would have been opinionated and one sided. And half of you would have hated it. While the other half would have thought me a genius. ;)

Anyways it feels good to participate.
Even when the game here is like Skip-roping in a mine field. :D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR