JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi folks! Anyone own (or owned) one of these? Since I'm not really interested in buying then upgrading, this looks like it would be a decent good-to-go entry level AR. All I'd do is add an optic.

I agree. It's a good purchase if you only want one AR and not looking to add bells and whistles.

From an old post of mine.....
IMHO..........if I'm a newbie and only getting one AR.

Then the simple no brainer answer is.........COLT. You pick the configuration you like.

Why?

History and resale.

When I think of firearms.........say Civil War?

COLT 1851 or 1860 revolver.

Indian Wars and the Spanish American War?

COLT SAA (Peacemaker, mod 1873)

WW1?

COLT M1911

WW2?

COLT M1911A1

Viet Nam?

COLT M16A1 (AR15 SP1 or AR15-A1)

Desert Storm?

COLT M16A2 (AR15-A2)

Iraq/Afghanistan?

COLT M4 (AR15 Mod#6920)

See how that works?

Then.........

IF you can remember the '94 AWB......well, I sold many a COLT AR15 for big $$$$ and they were really easy to move compared to the lesser named brands (or Frankenstein ARs). Mind you that I'm not saying that history will repeat itself or that COLT is THE BEST OF ANY OF THE OTHER MFNs OUT THERE. I'm just saying that more than likely..........when it's time to sell...........there will probably be a buyer who knows the name and product. Thus, it sort of sells itself.

Aloha, Mark

If you may want to resell it later or you want the name Colt on your rifle, it's probably worth the extra money. If not, you can buy just as good a rifle from other manufacturers for less. If you are at all mechanical and are willing to watch a few online videos, you can build a way better rifle for $600 - $750. Lots of folks here can walk you through it. Takes less than an hour - way less after you've done it once. The downside of building your own is that it will have a very low resale value. The key thing to keep in mind is that "milspec" doesn't often mean "better".

Colt is worth the extra money over a entry level rifle. They MPI test parts others do not. I believe, they are still by far the best value rifle out there. I've seen plenty sell during panic for triple their initial cost. No offense flopsweat but your statement of building a "way better rifle" for $600-$750 is complete B.S.

Colt is worth the extra money over a entry level rifle. They MPI test parts others do not. I believe, they are still by far the best value rifle out there. I've seen plenty LE6920 sell during panic for triple their initial cost. No offense flopsweat but your statement of building a "way better rifle" for $600-$750 is complete B.S. it may be black, look the same, function the same, but it's not the same. Building a rifle can certainly be a fun experience.

I do agree that parts guns can have a lower resale value, depending on part selection. The panics I've been through, even a $2500 Noveske will only sell for slightly more than new, so value wise the Colt will still win out. Even though some consider a Noveske fit and finish to be among the best. There is a point of diminishing returns on money spent.
No offense, but you can buy an MP tested BCG anywhere. I can match the accuracy of a 6920 with an upper assembly from PSA, a decent trigger and BGC, and just about anybody's metal lower. Easy $750 or less, especially right now. I'm not the only one here who's done it either. I get your point, and I like Colts. A Colt is better than your average AR, but not by a lot.

No offense, but you can buy an MP tested BCG anywhere. I can match the accuracy of a 6920 with an upper assembly from PSA, a decent trigger and BGC, and just about anybody's metal lower. Easy $750 or less, especially right now. I'm not the only one here who's done it either. I get your point, and I like Colts. A Colt is better than your average AR, but not by a lot.

No offense taken. A PSA with a MPI bolt and no name lower is just that. I would not define that as a "way better rifle". Sure you save a couple hundred dollars. But if you spend a couple hundred and get a factory colt you are money ahead if you sell, especially if you needed to during a panic. And that's my point. I don't consider my colts to be especially accurate, just average. But that roll mark, colt marked parts, and the market determine the best value for me at least.

The LE6920 is a great AR, but there are a lot of great AR's. IMO the Colt roll mark on the receiver costs about $250, because that is a $750 dollar rifle by any other manufacturer. If you plan to sell, no worries, because you will get it back and it will sell faster. If you don't plan to sell IMO it's a waste of money. I buy rifles for an intended purpose and I rarely sell.

A Colt that DOES intrigue me is the Expanse M4 CE2000. At $700 it seems to have everything the LE6920 has with the exception of a chrome lined barrel. I'm not a huge fan of chrome lined barrels as they have more potential for accuracy issues than unlined, stainless, or nitrided/Melonite barrels. Nitride treatment is by far my preference.

For 50 bux more than the Ruger AR-556, which I have and like, or the M&P Sport 2 it has a 4050 chrome moly vanadium steel barrel and a full auto BCG that has a fully shrouded firing pin. That's a HUGE upgrade for 50 bux. The CE1000 version is a bit cheaper, but you would need to install the dust cover and forward assist if desired.

For my thousand bux, I'd take the Expanse, a nice Geissele trigger and some ammo.

Last Edited:
No offense taken. A PSA with a MPI bolt and no name lower is just that. I would not define that as a "way better rifle". Sure you save a couple hundred dollars. But if you spend a couple hundred and get a factory colt you are money ahead if you sell, especially if you needed to during a panic. And that's my point. I don't consider my colts to be especially accurate, just average. But that roll mark, colt marked parts, factory tests, and extras, plus the market determine the best value for me at least.

For anyone interested here's a pretty good article on what to look for, and features that may be desirable. The AR15 Buyer's Guide: Simple Steps for Buying a Great Rifle

Small excerpt:

Lets look at, in my opinion, the most important specifications a manufacturer can adhere to:

• High Pressure Tested bolt and barrel
  • Magnetic Particle Inspection of bolt and barrel
  • Shot-peened bolt
  • Gas key properly staked
  • Mil-Spec 11595E Barrel Steel (or 4150 steel)
  • Chrome lined barrel (unless your buying a stainless steel or nitrided barrel)
  • M4 feed ramps (the modern standard)
  • 5.56 NATO chamber (alternative: .223Wylde)
As a rule of thumb… these are selling points. A manufacturer wants to inform the purchaser that their rifle meets these certifications. As you are browsing for a rifle, look for the above specifications. If the manufacturer doesn't tell you that the bolt is MPI, HPT, and shot-peened, then it probably isn't.
OK, maybe if I give you a specific example I can make this more clear. I have a Stag lower with a PSA upper that has all of the stuff you just mentioned and more: Magpul stock and full-float forend, Hogue grip and a Geissele trigger. I have less than $700 in it and it has better fit, feel and accuracy than any 6920 I've shot or seen shot. And it runs every brand of ammo I can find flawlessly. If I wanted to sell it I'd probably be lucky to get $400 for it, but I didn't build it for resale value. I built it to shoot. And I do. My point is that brand name and resale value don't factor into everyone's concept of "better", and that's all a Colt has over just about anything above entry-level. If you're not going to sell the gun, neither of those factors is that important.

Thank you for the example. I understood where you were coming from. We have two different thoughts on the definition of value.

I bought a few PMAGS a couple years ago years. Some don't like them, would prefer GI mags. GI mags are slightly cheaper, perform the same functionally. But then came a panic, I took those PMAGS and placed them in lots of 10 on a 24 auction site for a penny. The markets determined the value. Each lot quadrupled in value to over $400. 10 lots sold in 24hrs. Different definition of the word value.

I have a Stag and a Windham and have shot many others. I have not seen a huge difference. I doubt anyone will get rich selling an AR unless there is another panic.

I've seen some custom builds that are more finicky than I'd like for a defensive weapon but were real purdy. I don't purposely abuse my guns just to see what happens but they've been 100% so far.

Thanks all for the comments. Good stuff to think on.

One thing that bears mentioning - any AR you buy for under a couple thousand will likely come with a standard mil spec trigger. This trigger will almost always be very gritty and have a fairly high pull weight. Regardless of what you buy, I would upgrade the trigger before any other purchase, including an optic. An AGL ACT or similar runs about $70 and will give you a MUCH crisper single stage trigger and will make all the difference in the world. There are other options as well and for around $200 you can get some very very nice two stage combat or match triggers, but the ACT is your best bang for the buck.

For your optic consider the Primary Arms 1-6x24, unless you plan on a red dot. It's a Vortex Strike Eagle with a better reticle for around $250.

I would doubt you could prove that last statement.
Until you get into the higher priced parts,most are identical or from the same factory roll stamped to your specs.;)

If I were looking for a good quality "entry level" AR the Aero Precision models AC would be hard to overlook.

Brutus Out.

I second that - $730 retail w/ a 4050 MCV nitrided barrel and M16 BCG. I did a pair of build using their uppers and lowers and the fit/finish was flawless. No light anywhere between the two. drop in a better trigger, change out some furniture if you want and you are all set.

You get what you pay for and if you're looking for a factory built true Mil-Spec AR with a proven track record, it's hard to beat the 6920.
How many times has Colt filed for bankruptcy? That's an important track record to consider. Also "milspec" means "lowest bidder to meet the minimum requirements."

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top