JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi folks! Anyone own (or owned) one of these? Since I'm not really interested in buying then upgrading, this looks like it would be a decent good-to-go entry level AR. All I'd do is add an optic.

ABSOLUTELY JENM! The Colt 6920 is the standards others are judged by. Buy one. Or more, not sure why anyone would restrict themselves to just one. I don't have one (2 other Colts) but have plenty of other AR-15s and I'd say, get the Colt 6920. **Note** there is a lot of great advice on this thread. Tapnrack and DOPE have good thoughts, don't disregard them in particular. You don't sound like you want to build a PSA mix and match, can't blame you. PSA, as noted, has good stuff if you are savvy. Or not. Sometimes you might get a FN barrel, sometimes you get someone else's generic- it's about money. Better to just buy it built if you don't know all the ins and outs. Colt is the standard. The Ruger 5.56 and S & W are also fantastic rifles. You only go wrong if you don't get one. The prices and selection at this very moment are fantastic for all of us. I fear we may never see these price/performance and many choices in the future.

Side note: I have a Noveske Light Reece that cost @ $1800. I could have gotten 2+ Colt 6920's for that scratch. Don't regret it, Noveske's are awesome, but from my time in the military I know that Colts shoot as straight. Buy it, add the optic, enjoy. You won't be making a mistake and if you chose to sell it will get a better price than if you try and build a frankengun AR.

Simple.

Keep in mind, that as your thought process evolves you may want to add more pieces to your system. Having an AR15 that is reliable and fairly accurate is only part of a system.
Over the years costs add up. My system, for example, went from basic Colt AR to suppressed SBR with the ability to shoot at night. Roughly 8k into a $900 Colt.

My first was a Colt LE6920 Magpul edition. Can't complain and everything I've read on this thread is what I've read elsewhere online and have experienced. However, I wanted to customize and I didn't want to really mess around too much with my Colt, so I'm currently building my own which will be complete when FedEx finds my package they seem to have lost.

Last Edited:
The biggest reason I haven't bought a Colt LE6920 is the A2 front sight/gas block. If I could find an OEM-2 version, I'd probably buy a few. (P.S. I haven't tried looking yet)

I looked at it and wasn't particularly impressed. I bought the Ruger AR 5.56 instead.

But I buy firearms for function, not a name. (But that's just me).
Just picked up a Colt Expanse M4 . One word...AWSOME!! Watched a couple of good informative videos on YouTube that made honest comparisons between Colt and other brands then shopped around. Paid $700 then went out and killed some cantaloupe last weekend.

I bought a 6920 Magpul edition back in February and it is a rock solid rifle. Only have 540 rounds through mine but 100% flawless right out of the box. I would buy 2 if I could afford it. The fixed A2 sight works just as well as any front signt no need to over think it. Get a good sling, weapon light and an Aimpoint and your good to go.

The biggest reason I haven't bought a Colt LE6920 is the A2 front sight/gas block. If I could find an OEM-2 version, I'd probably buy a few. (P.S. I haven't tried looking yet)

If you look at any standard military m16 system they are going to have a FSB. Excluding mk12. There is no reason not to have one. I will take a pinned front gas block everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Seeing as everyone else has weighed in on the Colt AR....
Close to a year ago I decided I was going to need an AR, before someone made it difficult to own one! I almost bought the Colt from Kieth's. Not knowing anything, really, about ARs I didn't want low priced and didn't want to spend over a K. I didn't like the looks of the big fat handguard on the DPMS, and lower priced guns. The Colt had the better looking Magpull furniture, AND resale value! I don't sell guns though so...I didn't buy that day.

I was so sure I was going to get an AR I went to buy 1000 round of ammo for the AR I was going to get. Curt's Discount Guns had their 500 count house reman for $149.00. They were out at the show so they said they'd give me the price at their shop.
I ended up buying a Curt's house made "Rogue Defense" AR15 for about $750.00. Free float barrel, low profile gas block, full length rail and a great good looking key mode front grip. With a purchase like that I believe I get quality parts and service. Curt's has an excellent reputation so I'm confident that they would help me with anything I need. I've put about 300 rounds through it without issue.

I just looked at the prices on line for the Colt, they seem to be pretty proud of their brand don't they? All appeared to be over a grand! I know the OP isn't near Curt's but maybe he has a respected shop in his area to get a little more custom rifle, for less money?

Seeing as everyone else has weighed in on the Colt AR....
Close to a year ago I decided I was going to need an AR, before someone made it difficult to own one! I almost bought the Colt from Kieth's. Not knowing anything, really, about ARs I didn't want low priced and didn't want to spend over a K. I didn't like the looks of the big fat handguard on the DPMS, and lower priced guns. The Colt had the better looking Magpull furniture, AND resale value! I don't sell guns though so...I didn't buy that day.

I was so sure I was going to get an AR I went to buy 1000 round of ammo for the AR I was going to get. Curt's Discount Guns had their 500 count house reman for $149.00. They were out at the show so they said they'd give me the price at their shop.
I ended up buying a Curt's house made "Rogue Defense" AR15 for about $750.00. Free float barrel, low profile gas block, full length rail and a great good looking key mode front grip. With a purchase like that I believe I get quality parts and service. Curt's has an excellent reputation so I'm confident that they would help me with anything I need. I've put about 300 rounds through it without issue.

I just looked at the prices on line for the Colt, they seem to be pretty proud of their brand don't they? All appeared to be over a grand! I know the OP isn't near Curt's but maybe he has a respected shop in his area to get a little more custom rifle, for less money?

Spot on. Virtually nobody makes all the parts in their AR's, including Colt. They assemble and test parts made to their specification by contract. Four main manufacturers make nearly all the AR receivers. The current M4 supplier for the military, FN, only makes the barrel and outsources everything else - and they meet all Mil-Spec requirements.

@TapRackNGo nailed it here:
"Lets look at, in my opinion, the most important specifications a manufacturer can adhere to:
  • High Pressure Tested bolt and barrel
  • Magnetic Particle Inspection of bolt and barrel
  • Shot-peened bolt
  • Gas key properly staked
  • Mil-Spec 11595E Barrel Steel (or 4150 steel)
  • Chrome lined barrel (unless your buying a stainless steel or nitrided barrel)
  • M4 feed ramps (the modern standard)
  • 5.56 NATO chamber (alternative: .223Wylde)
As a rule of thumb… these are selling points. A manufacturer wants to inform the purchaser that their rifle meets these certifications. As you are browsing for a rifle, look for the above specifications. If the manufacturer doesn't tell you that the bolt is MPI, HPT, and shot-peened, then it probably isn't."​

I'd add to that list that 4140 CM steel is adequate for anything less than a machine gun, though 4150 CMV is more desirable. Even in an SHTF scenario you will not notice the difference between the two. I'd personally pick a 4140 CM Nitrided barrel over a chrome lined 4150 CMV barrel.

That Rogue Defense is great rifle at a great price, and no upgrades are needed, except for possibly the trigger like all other AR's. The only reason to pay the extra $250 (in this case much more) to get the Colt roll mark on your lower is for resale - that and you get to join the Colt cult.

IMO (everyone here is expressing opinions), the Colt is more expensive than others for no added value. Were I offering a close friend or family member on getting their first factory built AR, I would probably steer them towards a Smith&Wesson.

Should you think you're going to sell it later then you will probably get a higher amount out of your Colt because it has been in the AR game for decades over multiple generations. It's known and trusted name.

I do have Colts. The one and only complaint I have about their quality is their triggers. They are gritty and feel like there is tree pitch in them. Granted this is supposed to be a line rifle but with other manufactures taking the time to polish and smooth their triggers, it is irritating. All my Colts have aftermarket triggers apart from one. I had it sent to a guy on ARFCOM who used to work at Colt and he polished mine up and sent it back for free. FWIW, the very best factory trigger I had was Olympic Arms :eek: This was the best of the bunch (Anderson, Bushmaster, Colt, Mega, Rock River.... well, maybe not the Rock River as that one was a CMP set-up with a really nice two stage trigger. Anyway, I think I've made my point.

When you get your new rifle, don't forget to show it off to us!!!

Just picked up a Colt Expanse M4 . One word...AWSOME!! Watched a couple of good informative videos on YouTube that made honest comparisons between Colt and other brands then shopped around. Paid $700 then went out and killed some cantaloupe last weekend.

Colt Expanse is a 'licensed' build by a 3rd party manufacturer, so equal to any other decent but low/mid-priced shop.

My suggestion is to buy a Colt 6920 AND and Adams Arms mid-length flattop complete upper - put the Colt upper away and shoot the bejeezus out of the AA. You won't regret it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top