JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is my later 1950's BSA MkII International with the Al Freeland tube diopter set-up, setup.

upload_2016-11-5_19-5-32.png
upload_2016-11-5_19-9-16.png
It came like this, along with a P-H target sight set, and a little red box containing 24 sets of Anschutz and P-H foresight elements, a LH Gehmann single-point sling and one of those little circular brass screw-top foresight element holders.

All for $75.

Not bad, eh?

I sold most of the foresight elements for around $500 in total, and kept the rest.

I also shoot it with a x18 Unertl 2" Supertarget scope, as well.............

upload_2016-11-5_19-10-44.png

This is a box of fifty at 100m...............

upload_2016-11-5_19-11-39.png

Eley Match again.......

tac

Your sanding plan sounds good - that's zackly the way that I would be doing it. My advice - not that you were asking for it - is to use a Sharpie to 'colour-in' the channel to act as a sanding guide, with a piece of dowel of exactly the right diameter.

tac
Thanks tac, any advice is appreciated! I'll do that. I thought of trying to measure the old fore end channel with my calipers too to get a better idea of where and how much to take off.

Thanks tac, any advice is appreciated! I'll do that. I thought of trying to measure the old fore end channel with my calipers too to get a better idea of where and how much to take off.

Is the cross-section of the octagon barrel the same as the diameter of the round barrel? If so, all you have to do is to remove everything that ain't round, hence my handy tint and hip about using the sharpie as a 'remove all this' indicator.

Can you post an end-on pic of the new forend for us to see?

Besp

tac

IMG_20161105_135450_zpsfyu11k09.jpg
Is the cross-section of the octagon barrel the same as the diameter of the round barrel? If so, all you have to do is to remove everything that ain't round, hence my handy tint and hip about using the sharpie as a 'remove all this' indicator.

Can you post an end-on pic of the new forend for us to see?

Besp

tac
You know, I may be an idiot? (A couple woman here are agreeing that there's a high probability :rolleyes:) I compared the two and measured and the only difference I'm seeing is where the fore end cap fits over the end. The older is beveled and the new one is squared and tapers down more at the top so it clears the screw bracket for the cap. The only holdup I can see is where it meets the fore end cap. I may just need a fine saw file to bevel and taper it. Where it meets the receiver it fits.
New on the left and old on the right.

View attachment 321294
You know, I may be an idiot? (A couple woman here are agreeing that there's a high probability :rolleyes:) I compared the two and measured and the only difference I'm seeing is where the fore end cap fits over the end. The older is beveled and the new one is squared and tapers down more at the top so it clears the screw bracket for the cap. The only holdup I can see is where it meets the fore end cap. I may just need a fine saw file to bevel and taper it. Where it meets the receiver it fits.
New on the left and old on the right.

Ahah!

Good nooze indeed. :)

Take care.

tac

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not even just the ammo crunch, although that has part to do with it. And increased prices. But it's more that I don't find as much enjoyment anymore as my larger calibers.
I set up my 15-22 like my 3 gun rifle. I also bought a conversion kit for my XDM competition. For me I get to train with similar platform but way cheaper.

Look, we all here I'm sure have owned a .22lr of some sort. My first rifle was of course a .22 I got when I was 12. And there is nothing particularly wrong with the caliber. I just don't find myself interested in shooting it much anymore. I have a Smith 15-22 and plenty of rounds to shoot it but for some reason each time I take it out I find myself shooting pretty much everything BUT it. And when I do shoot it, I put a few rounds through it and then back in the case it goes. I'm not giving up on rimfire completely as I love my 77/22 WMR and its capabilities.

Anybody else dump the .22lr? If so, did you find that you regretted it down the road or found a reason that you couldn't NOT have a .22lr in your collection?

And yeah, I know if SHTF its capable and a lot of rounds can be carried. Besides that.

I haven't responded to this in a while, but ATM I do NOT have a .22lr in my collection. I still have ammo, as I MIGHT find one that really speaks to me. And my dad still has a few, so I've got him covered if need be.

Yes, I sold my last one since my OP.

Today at BiMart, Winchester M-22 1000 rnd brick $26.95. No special or sale, just the regular price. Anyone bemoaning the absence of .03/rnd .22 ammo take note.

Correction: It is a 500 round box. The BiMart guy lied to me. I'll get him tomorrow!!

Last Edited:
First off I thought BiMart was code word around here for Walmart or something did know it's actually a store. Sorry I just moved here from Utah and had never heard of it. Is it a worthwhile store for ammo?

Second if your wanting to get rid of 22lr I will gladly take it off you hands. I have been increasing my 22lr over the past year. I will say that ammo selection in Utah is much better but I still can find it and I enjoy shooting it put a silencer on a 22lr and you got a good time.

Bi-Mart is an employee-owned local store that sells a little bit of everything. But, they sell guns and ammo. Just recently handguns. Their selection is typical of "department store" types, but their prices are generally low.

Mine is Sportsmans Warehouse actually. They tend to have it in stock more often and they put it out at random times to try and dissuade scalper types.

Is it a worthwhile store for ammo?
For a lot of people (depending on location) BiMart was the 'go to' place for anything gun related. Typically good stocks of the 'basics'. I work 5 minutes from a Sportsman's Warehouse so thats where I go but if I am in my local Bi Mart on a weekend I'll always take a walk through the gun section - and glad I did one day last year when I stumbled on a the rare stocking of one Henry .357 - which went home with me the next day!

For a lot of people (depending on location) BiMart was the 'go to' place for anything gun related. Typically good stocks of the 'basics'. I work 5 minutes from a Sportsman's Warehouse so thats where I go but if I am in my local Bi Mart on a weekend I'll always take a walk through the gun section - and glad I did one day last year when I stumbled on a the rare stocking of one Henry .357 - which went home with me the next day!

Ah, they do tend to have a random piece that's not really a stocked item. Makes me wonder who their buyers are. I stumbled across a Savage 93R17 FV-SR one day at my local Bi-Mart. For those that know, it's a fairly rare bird in the .17HMR world and the price was really good. I unfortunately passed and haven't seen that model since. I was told it was special order when I asked and was way more money than they were asking for the one in stock. Some lucky guy got a great deal!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top