JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Or does the FFL have to hold it while waiting?

Oregon / Private transfer.

Thanks for any help.

Post Edit: Yes you can. Depending on the FFL.
My FFL in Vancouver, (America's Pawn) only charges $20 for a transfer if they do not have to take possession of the firearm.
👍👍👍👍👍
Best deal in town!!

In Wash. state, RCW 9.41.113 (3)(a) says:

"(a) The seller or transferor shall deliver the firearm to a licensed dealer to process the sale or transfer as if it is selling or transferring the firearm from its inventory to the purchaser or transferee, except that the unlicensed seller or transferor may remove the firearm from the business premises of the licensed dealer while the background check is being conducted. If the seller or transferor removes the firearm from the business premises of the licensed dealer while the background check is being conducted, the purchaser or transferee and the seller or transferor shall return to the business premises of the licensed dealer and the seller or transferor shall again deliver the firearm to the licensed dealer prior to completing the sale or transfer."

Which I didn't know until reading this post caused me to look it up. From the standpoint of being a seller, friend, maybe, perhaps. Someone I don't know, nu-uh, I don't want to give them a chance to change their mind or have their wife change it for them. People can be notional.

There may be some gun dealers who don't know this. As a dealer, once the gun goes away and both parties change their mind and disappear, who pays for the labor of doing the NICS check? I can see why a dealer would want to take possession. And I can see how some, like pawn shops with enough overhead churn to absorb the lost labor would value their space enough to let the seller hang onto the gun pending the NICS. Realistically, both parties are usually eager for the gun the change hands, not linger.

Sidebar: One time I met up with a guy who wanted to buy a Rem. 870 I had for sale. We met as agreed and went into the shop. Right away, the would-be buyer walked over to the in-stock guns for sale and found another 12 gauge shotgun. Which wasn't as nice as my 870 but cost less. Whereupon he proceeded to try to bargain me down in price by comparing my gun to the in-store gun. He didn't get mine, I walked out. Another time, when I sold a Win. Model 70 in .300 Win Mag, I met up with the buyer and while waiting for the NICS check to process, he found another .300 Win Mag in stock. Again, not as nice but priced a little lower but he kept to the bargain that time. You never know what's going to happen when you meet up at a gun store.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews