JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I find it too useful of a cartridge to let it go.
Small game , teaching new folks how to shoot , just plain relaxing shooting , etc ...
It still is difficult to find around where I live , but I buy it when I can and still shoot it fairly often.
Andy

I'm sure it's already been said fifty times on this thread, but there's something just positively gentlemanly about spending an afternoon in the woods, with a friend, plinking cans at 75 yards with a bolt action .22
image.jpeg

Look, we all here I'm sure have owned a .22lr of some sort. My first rifle was of course a .22 I got when I was 12. And there is nothing particularly wrong with the caliber. I just don't find myself interested in shooting it much anymore. I have a Smith 15-22 and plenty of rounds to shoot it but for some reason each time I take it out I find myself shooting pretty much everything BUT it. And when I do shoot it, I put a few rounds through it and then back in the case it goes. I'm not giving up on rimfire completely as I love my 77/22 WMR and its capabilities.

Anybody else dump the .22lr? If so, did you find that you regretted it down the road or found a reason that you couldn't NOT have a .22lr in your collection?

And yeah, I know if SHTF its capable and a lot of rounds can be carried. Besides that.
I stopped shooting my .22 for many years. I kept getting bigger & bigger rifles. I kept reaching farther and farther out.
Then one day I realized that no matter how big the rifle, how fast the MV, how great the BC - bullet drop & drift are a fact of life.
That being said - I returned to 22. It's a great feeling to make a long shot with a .22. It's like a miniature .338Lapua. Same story, Just a lot cheeper to shoot. Also, much easier on the ears!

I have over the years lost track of how many .22's I have sold. What always happened is soon after selling last one I missed it. Finally learned to just stop selling them. :)
May get tired of them now and then but know better than to sell. When last panic hit had over 10 K rounds of ammo. Seen panic before. Now have about 15K ready for the next one. :)

Please everyone stop shooting .22lr, its deadly....
And leaves ton more for me, not that i have bought any since back when the 525rd packs of remington would go on sale for $7.99 @ BiMart. I still have some of that. I dont sell ammo but I sure as hell hoard it. You all can buy it from my family when im dead.

Last Edited:
Please everyone stop shooting .22lr, its deadly....
And leaves ton more for me, not that i have bought any since back when the 525rd packs of remington would go on sale for $7.99 @ BiMart. I still have some of that. I dont sell ammo but I sure as hell hoard it. You all can buy it for my family when im dead.

One thing people have to remember is the price increase is not greed. There are many people taking advantage of the panic to make money. Places like Wally still sell it at the normal mark up. The feds have for years been printing money like there is no tomorrow. This causes inflation. The media is trying real hard to pretend like it's not there to protect the current POTUS. People who buy food seem to not even notice the stuff has gone WAY up in price. They sure seem to spot it when ammo goes up though and look to blame someone. The blame is the money being printed to pretend we have a roaring economy.

I've read every post in this thread, and maybe I just haven't found the right .22 for me. I absolutely LOVE my 77/22WMR. I can shoot it probably better than anything else I own. And as most of you know, it's certainly a full sized rifle that weighs as much as a centerfire hunting rifle. I don't think I'll give up on the caliber just yet, but I think it's time to go shopping. :cool:

Yeah, my Henry lever has the octagon barrel, dang it's heavy, but such a fun rifle.

@Kruejl try, or go check out the new Ruger Mk4 Hunter edition, that's a beautiful looking .22 pistol.

Yeah, my Henry lever has the octagon barrel, dang it's heavy, but such a fun rifle.

@Kruejl try, or go check out the new Ruger Mk4 Hunter edition, that's a beautiful looking .22 pistol.

You know what, bro? My dad is super interested in it and I think I may actually get one for him and I to try out!

I'll be honest, i never really liked that range from Ruger so much, but the Hunter model of the Mk4, ooooooh baby, that's a really well looking pistol.

Just being able to take it apart and clean it without blueprints makes it worth a nod! :D

You know what, bro? My dad is super interested in it and I think I may actually get one for him and I to try out!

Wife saw and ad for the new MKIV and was asking me about one. I told her I'm ALWAYS up for another gun. :) I printed out the options for another Ruger .22 with prices. When I checked the MKIV was going for about a $100 more than the same pistol in MKIII configuration but I had no problem with one if she wanted. She mentioned the "easy take down". I asked her when was the last time she took down her MKII to clean? The answer was she never has. That job falls to me. We had a good chuckle over it. The MKIII she bought me is more of a PITA due to the damn mag safety. Nothing like the old days before the net though. I well remember when the MKII first hit. The instructions that came with the early ones SUCKED. Ruger was getting a lot of the pistols back in pieces from frustrated owners.

Wife saw and ad for the new MKIV and was asking me about one. I told her I'm ALWAYS up for another gun. :) I printed out the options for another Ruger .22 with prices. When I checked the MKIV was going for about a $100 more than the same pistol in MKIII configuration but I had no problem with one if she wanted. She mentioned the "easy take down". I asked her when was the last time she took down her MKII to clean? The answer was she never has. That job falls to me. We had a good chuckle over it. The MKIII she bought me is more of a PITA due to the damn mag safety. Nothing like the old days before the net though. I well remember when the MKII first hit. The instructions that came with the early ones SUCKED. Ruger was getting a lot of the pistols back in pieces from frustrated owners.

Ha! Yes, they were. I can remember my dad taking apart his MKII and sitting at the table cursing why he ever bought one trying to reassemble! :)

One thing people have to remember is the price increase is not greed. There are many people taking advantage of the panic to make money. Places like Wally still sell it at the normal mark up. The feds have for years been printing money like there is no tomorrow. This causes inflation. The media is trying real hard to pretend like it's not there to protect the current POTUS. People who buy food seem to not even notice the stuff has gone WAY up in price. They sure seem to spot it when ammo goes up though and look to blame someone. The blame is the money being printed to pretend we have a roaring economy.

So manufacturers have been producing .22LR for DECADES and selling it for cheap because their hearts were bleeding? It seems more like overnight "one ammo shortage" that the manufacturers decided that there was more profit to be made.... just saying.
We have all been screwed on 22LR. I am calling out the manufacturers and distributors on this one. Please stop being naive sheep.

So manufacturers have been producing .22LR for DECADES and selling it for cheap because their hearts were bleeding? It seems more like overnight "one ammo shortage" that the manufacturers decided that there was more profit to be made.... just saying.
We have all been screwed on 22LR. I am calling out the manufacturers and distributors on this one. Please stop being naive sheep.
Dude so is Nabisco screwing you then? Cookies went up. Price on .22 did not go up overnight. Unless you are talking about scalpers. This has NOTHING to do with the people who make the ammo. I just bought 1K of CCI MM for 7.99 per 100. That is the price to my door. If you are still looking for those $10 bricks they will show up with the .50 loaves of bread.

Dude so is Nabisco screwing you then? Cookies went up. Price on .22 did not go up overnight. Unless you are talking about scalpers. This has NOTHING to do with the people who make the ammo. I just bought 1K of CCI MM for 7.99 per 100. That is the price to my door. If you are still looking for those $10 bricks they will show up with the .50 loaves of bread.
Nabisco? Is your head in the sand? "Dood"...don't get me started on the grocery shrink ray thing. Do your parents buy your groceries for you? You obviously missed the sentiment I was inferring. However, should you find a good deal on ammo then by all means let the community know. Your diligence is greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Nabisco? Is your head in the sand? "Dood"...don't get me started on the grocery shrink ray thing. Do your parents buy your groceries for you? You obviously missed the sentiment I was inferring. However, should you find a good deal on ammo then by all means let the community know. Your diligence is greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Parents are long dead so they aren't buying me anything these days.
What I am saying by the store is it not a grand plan by the manufacturers to shaft you any more than that loaf of bread. This is called inflation. The US has been using printing of money to keep things floating. That comes at a cost. I know it sounds nice to blame some grand rich guy but it's not. You can get pissed all you want. The ammo is not going to be $10 a brick again. CCI MM was around $6 hundred YEARS ago. Now it's $8 per hundred "normal price". Others selling it for more are trying to make a quick buck. You are trying to blame the people who make it for that. They don't have any control over it after they put it on the trucks.
If you live in a state that allows ammo sales by mail Academy is one of the good places to buy from. If there is one in your state you will have to add sales tax to that price. If not the $8.00 per hundred is the price to your door. They have this ammo on a regular basis. Wal-Mart also sells it at this price if you are willing to keep checking for it. Cabelas sells it at close to this price. They have it a LOT. Limit of course. You can order the limit sent to a store near you free. I am told you can have several loads shipped to the store then go pick it up if the store is a bit of a drive. Now you can spend a lot of time ranting that someone is shafting you, or you can just buy some ammo and have fun shooting. If you decide shooting is more fun I would lay in enough to last a while. It does not take much to set off another panic.

Me and my late best pal, Joe Evans, got just one chance to shoot his brand-new OOTB Ruger Hunter before he took off and left us all behind.

I treasure that coupla hours up on the ridgeline off the Lorane Highway.

upload_2016-11-4_11-47-20.png

As our friend above notes, there's not a lot of things in life better than spending time with friends in the woods with a pick-up full of guns and ammo, and a coupla dozen empty bean cans.

Life can be good, eh?

tac - missing Joe

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews