JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That was a very recent loss, sorry Tac

I did just buy a can of 1575 rounds of 22 Fiocchi LR and when I get it I'll put Joe's name on the can so I can remember the story when I shoot the ammo.

No way. I like my bearcats and 10/22 target gun. The craze has gotten better at least. I wish it would go back to the days that you can buy a 500 Rd brick for $15 (or better!) but I don't think it ever will.

No way. I like my bearcats and 10/22 target gun. The craze has gotten better at least. I wish it would go back to the days that you can buy a 500 Rd brick for $15 (or better!) but I don't think it ever will.

When you see gas at $1 a gallon you will see the (.03 a round) $15 bricks again. :) There is a lot of name brand for .05 a round again now. That is the new norm. This is assuming you can on line order. For those who live where they have banned this they will have to pay a little more.

Have to agree with Alexx1401. BiMart just had CCI Mini-mags for $6.99/100. No sale, just the standard price, limit one box. Went in each day for several days. If CCI was scalping, BiMart would have to pass along the price. 10 years ago they were $5.99, about 5 years ago they were $6.49, today they're $6.99. It's just inflation. Right now they have American Eagle, $2.19/50. 4.4 cents per round. Not the 3 cents of ten years ago, but not unreasonable. Just bought some CCI Standard Velocity today for $3.69/50. 7.4 cents per round. Pricier than the others, but then it always has been.

Have to agree with Alexx1401. BiMart just had CCI Mini-mags for $6.99/100. No sale, just the standard price, limit one box. Went in each day for several days. If CCI was scalping, BiMart would have to pass along the price. 10 years ago they were $5.99, about 5 years ago they were $6.49, today they're $6.99. It's just inflation. Right now they have American Eagle, $2.19/50. 4.4 cents per round. Not the 3 cents of ten years ago, but not unreasonable. Just bought some CCI Standard Velocity today for $3.69/50. 7.4 cents per round. Pricier than the others, but then it always has been.
I did notice one thing about the last go round with Bimart LR that you mention. They'd had Mini-mags and AE in a couple weeks before and the prices were 50 cents higher. $7.49 for the Mini-mags and $2.69 for AE. Then CCI standard for more than the Mini-mags? Evidently the price drop hasn't made it to the standards yet. I'd expect a lower price next time they have them.

Were the Mini-mags HP?? They are always 50 cents more than the round-nose. The round-nose I got were the first I had seen in two years.

When I buy the CCI MM the HP and solids are always the same price. Academy and Cabelas have it regularly. Wal-Mart has them a lot or so I hear. I don't set foot in the place but hear if you are willing to keep checking with them it does come in regularly.

I've read every post in this thread, and maybe I just haven't found the right .22 for me. I absolutely LOVE my 77/22WMR. I can shoot it probably better than anything else I own. And as most of you know, it's certainly a full sized rifle that weighs as much as a centerfire hunting rifle. I don't think I'll give up on the caliber just yet, but I think it's time to go shopping. :cool:

That's an excellent point, Kruejl. While I love the little Ruger 10/22, you know, pop,pop,popopopopopopopopopopopop!
I also, really enjoy picking up my full sized (26" barrel) old Mossberg, putting the front sight or crosshairs on the target and knowing that that's exactly where the little hole will appear!
You know, big boy/girl shooting! Killed a lot of rabbits, rats and ground squirrels at extreme (for.22lr) range with that rifle! :D

Still, pop,popopopop etc. huge fun! :rolleyes:

I just bought a hundred Eley Match for a bench rest comp tomorrow. Cost me $22.14.

Riiiight. :mad:

tac

That stuff has always been higher. Don't think I have ever tried it. I notice even in it there is a huge spread in price. Some of it being more than anything center fire. Is there really that much difference in it? I guess some have to be willing to pay what it goes for.

That stuff has always been higher. Don't think I have ever tried it. I notice even in it there is a huge spread in price. Some of it being more than anything center fire. Is there really that much difference in it? I guess some have to be willing to pay what it goes for.

Yes, there is a huge difference. The last two target-barreled 10/22's I've been associated with, definitely were more accurate than a run of the mill 10/22, but not 2-and-a-half times more accurate, as that's how much more the target rifles cost. But that was with off the shelf plinking /hunting ammo. Then i started running the high dollar target ammo thru these guns, and it was incredible how much the groups shrank.

So for routine plinking, eleven-to-eighteen-bucks or more for a box of 50 rounds is pretty expensive, and probably not necessary. But if you're into bullseye shooting, attempting the tiniest groups possible, then the high dollar target ammo is the only means to satisfy that itch.

WAYNO.

5 shots in a 46-y/o rifle, at 50m.
upload_2016-11-5_15-59-20.png

Answer your question?

tac

I've had period where I've owned multiple .22's, and periods where I've owned 0 .22's - I can't say I love how expensive .22lr is - but some of the most fun I've had shooting were with .22 rifles and pistols. One of these days I need to bite the bullet, pardon the pun, and pick up a Henry .22 lever action - a former friend of mine has one, with an inexpensive scope on it, and it was easily the most accurate, fun to shoot rifle I've ever shot. His wife used it for rabbit control, to keep floppy ears from eating up her roses and her vegetable garden.

The Marlin model 60 is another favorite of mine - honestly I prefer the marlin over the Ruger 10-22. I know guys love to trick out the Rugers, and drop absurd amounts of cash into them, but a bone stock Marlin, wood stock is a gem.

I must confess, despite owning it for almost a year now, my little Ruger American has sat without being loved up much. I only have about 700 rounds of .22 - so I've been hesitant to go shooting with it because the replacement ammo is still hard to get locally.

I much prefer Marlins over Rugers myself. I like the older ones over new. I've got a brand new model 60 I bought from somebody here a year or 2 ago that is still setting in the safe unfired. Most of mine (some model 60's and a 990) date from the 60's/70's with exception of a 25 MN I bought new 12-14 yrs ago. My favorite is a model 49DL that I picked up from member here a couple yrs ago. In the running to overtake it though is a 1955 39a Mounty I traded into here recently and a 1982 39a I horse traded into a couple months ago. The '82 model isn't anything out of the ordinary so I decided to bling it up a little. A Skinner Black Gold peep and I just got a 1894 CL stock, and a 1897 CL fore end from Numrich's. The stock fit perfectly but the fore end is inlet for an octagonal bbl so I'll have to do some surgery tonight to fit it. I'm thinking a wood dowel with sand paper glued to it should work. I hope... I'll be sweating :D
IMG_20161105_0858451_zps8bfqs5d8.jpg
IMG_20161105_0857111_zpsrr1t7mqb.jpg

Your sanding plan sounds good - that's zackly the way that I would be doing it. My advice - not that you were asking for it - is to use a Sharpie to 'colour-in' the channel to act as a sanding guide, with a piece of dowel of exactly the right diameter.

tac

Look, we all here I'm sure have owned a .22lr of some sort. My first rifle was of course a .22 I got when I was 12. And there is nothing particularly wrong with the caliber. I just don't find myself interested in shooting it much anymore. I have a Smith 15-22 and plenty of rounds to shoot it but for some reason each time I take it out I find myself shooting pretty much everything BUT it. And when I do shoot it, I put a few rounds through it and then back in the case it goes. I'm not giving up on rimfire completely as I love my 77/22 WMR and its capabilities.

Anybody else dump the .22lr? If so, did you find that you regretted it down the road or found a reason that you couldn't NOT have a .22lr in your collection?

And yeah, I know if SHTF its capable and a lot of rounds can be carried. Besides that.

Quite the opposite.
Over the last year I've added one 22lr. & one 22WMR to my collection.
It was nothing but .223, 7.62x39, and .308 before these new additions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top