JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a P220, P229, SP2022 and had a P320. All had different holds.
I have noticed the same thing on my handguns with iron sights. Even after upgrading with aftermarket sights from a supplier that offers multiple options for sight height and width on the same gun. They all require a slightly different sight alignment (elevation) to hit the center of a bullseye or make a critical shot.
This is a drawback if a shooter rotates their carry weapon and needs to make a precision first shot. It's not like being at the range and getting a couple of rounds fired first to refamiliarize where the accurate hold is. Chuck Pressburg has some drills that he labels "no fail" that requires a precision first and follow up shots.
To me that is an advantage of a red-dot pistol or of shooting the same carry gun all the time.

Show us on the doll where the Hi Point touched you...

Rick Crying 3332.jpg

Hi, my name is FATAL125 and I can't shoot hammer fired handguns.

I'm not new to guns. I'm not as experienced as many others, but I've shot quite a bit of a wide variety of things. One of the main things that plagues me when it comes to handguns (revolver and semi-auto) is that I seriously struggle to be consistent with hammer fired guns. Make, model, caliber... doesn't matter. I just consistently suck...

Striker fired handguns... no problem at all. From subs to full size I've never had an issue. *EDIT TO ADD* Except for my shield... that thing was awful.

The only hammer fired gun I ever shot well was a Sig P938. I could keep 7 rounds inside 3 inches at 10 yards over and over again. Now I dont say that to brag, but rather adding to the WTF factor. My buddy who owned that 938 was soooooo confused I shot that so "well", but could barely keep a full size 1911 (in 9 or 45) in the A zone.

This may sound super stupid, but I'm legitimately curious WTF... My hope is there are others out there who have experienced this or may understand why this would be a thing and have something helpful to offer to aid in my ever-growing saddness.

I expect some jokes and pokes... no sweat. I'd also like to hear some productive thoughts and ideas on the matter.
All the quarterbacking and helpful comments aside, I'd stick to what works for ya. That's why there are so many different pistols out there.. Something about square pegs into round holes...
Could do far worse than a Glock, but I like a hammer-fired DA/SA myself.

@FATAL125 ,
I waited for the faithful to have their say before I got in here.

I can't shoot a Glock. It hasn't been for lack of effort.

I don't know anything of your shooting history however here is a bit of mine.
I'm 66 years old.
My first go at a semiauto pistol was a colt woodsman
My next semiauto was a 1911 ACE 22lr
By age 11 I was shooting SAA and 1911 in 45LC and 45ACP respectively.

Prior Navy. They think I can shoot. I even have some pretty ribbons for the effort.

NRA thinks I can teach people to shoot. Bit of a laugh as I never taught an NRA class. It did help though.

Jekyll & Hyde RSO. I'm a no compromise, no exception RSO on a hot range. I'm dedicated to helping in any way I can otherwise. I've closed a range due to multiple, separate, egregious, safety violations within minutes. I've shown up early, stayed late, and offered personal instruction on off days just because.

I haven't been able to train for several years due to ... (ask, I'll tell but it isn't anything dramatic)
So I don't EDC for the moment.

My skills are much more perishable than most however my ultimate ceiling is a bit higher than most.
In short if I don't shoot I can't shoot. If I do shoot I shoot very well.
It must be the 55 years of mental and intermittent muscle memory.

To the point then. I have yet to master any Glock. It isn't so much that I can't approach my proficiency with other handguns with a Glock ,it's muck worse. My hit distribution shows no pattern, no rhyme, no reason, no repeatability and no improvement.
Us old codgers band together like as not and generally band together to solve the mysteries of the universe.
One of those mysteries is me with a Glock in my hand. We dinosaurs are not without humor. My brethren will see me at the far end of the line with a Glock in my hand and rather than stop by to offer help or condolences they just quietly leave a box of ammunition and walk away. These days that is quite a statement.

Rather than assumptions I have a few questions first.
Are your misses with a hammer fired pistol much like my Glock efforts. That is all over the place?
If your misses fall into any regular pattern I may be able to help.
What distances are you shooting at?
Confidence building at 7 yards will show gross aberrations but the more subtle errors are found at greater distances.
The next time before you shoot a 1911 look at the firing pin stop plate. Is its bottom a radius or square? This small difference can be critical. A radius at the bottom of the firing pin stop will comparatively unlock the weapon sooner than a square bottom firing pin stop plate.
Is the slide fully retreating in recoil? Place a thin piece leather in shape and in the place of a "Shok-Buff" as a tell tale. Reduce recoil spring tension/weight until occasional contact occurs.
Low left. This is my ongoing sin and likely sign of rust on my skills. If I've been away from the platform long enough I tend to stab at the trigger a bit. It usually takes less than two magazines to clean this up.
While on this subject it's time to compare the lock times of the striker fired and hammer fired pistols.
Even when a light firing pin and a skeletonized hammer are fitted to a hammer fired pistol it's lock time will still be longer.
If you can, mount a laser to a hammer fired pistol and have a spotter watch your follow through.

Last but not least , have you ever fired a black powder, cap and ball revolver? Any time I've been away from training for a significant period of time I revert back to the '51 Navy. There is nothing quite like the extreme lock time of a black powder pistol to get your hands quiet on the hold. A note here, that '51 Navy is every bit as accurate in my hands as my service/duty/edc 1911.

As you can see I'm here to help, not judge. I'll not leap to conclusions, I'm more likely to ask questions. We probably won't meet at a range anytime soon but if you want to engage here, in PM or off forum I'm willing.

And, I still can't shoot a Glock ;-)

Yeah, I considered that. I've waited to post this query on here for a while, but after a recent outing that went as usual I was "triggered" and figured I'd at least ask. I do think you have a point about the mental block, just can't understand why that'd be for me.

I'm good with blunt. No hurty the feelys here... I've mostly made peace with it, but there are just so many things I "want" its hard to let go.

Yeah, I shot that 938 as I was testing guns before my first subcompact purchase. At the time I was bound by a budget and ended up getting a shield. Ironically enough, that was the first and only striker fired gun that didn't work for me. Absolutely hated that gun, so it went bye-bye.

Yes sir. I love my CZs and I tend to have duplicates that are modded differently so I get lots of variety.
How much dry fire have you done on hammer guns? Can you balance a empty case on the slide (or front sight!) when dry firing?

The only thing I can possibly imagine is some kind of "slap" on the trigger that causes misalignment during the lock time. But I doubt the lock time on a 1911 is much different than a striker fired gun.

It's probably 99% mental for some reason, but worth ruling everything out

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads