JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, my name is FATAL125 and I can't shoot hammer fired handguns.

I'm not new to guns. I'm not as experienced as many others, but I've shot quite a bit of a wide variety of things. One of the main things that plagues me when it comes to handguns (revolver and semi-auto) is that I seriously struggle to be consistent with hammer fired guns. Make, model, caliber... doesn't matter. I just consistently suck...

Striker fired handguns... no problem at all. From subs to full size I've never had an issue. *EDIT TO ADD* Except for my shield... that thing was awful.

The only hammer fired gun I ever shot well was a Sig P938. I could keep 7 rounds inside 3 inches at 10 yards over and over again. Now I dont say that to brag, but rather adding to the WTF factor. My buddy who owned that 938 was soooooo confused I shot that so "well", but could barely keep a full size 1911 (in 9 or 45) in the A zone.

This may sound super stupid, but I'm legitimately curious WTF... My hope is there are others out there who have experienced this or may understand why this would be a thing and have something helpful to offer to aid in my ever-growing saddness.

I expect some jokes and pokes... no sweat. I'd also like to hear some productive thoughts and ideas on the matter.

Last Edited:
Have you tried shotgunning a beer first?
Gets your mind off the issue at hand. Swill that sucker down, get focused, and then it's

Hammer Time!
giphy.webp

Ok.
I doubt it's the flinchies. But if it is the flinchies, just empty out a 12ga rapido rapido. After all that recoil, handgun shooting seems tame.
No flinchies. I have had others watch me shoot and even recorded it a few times with different weapons to see if there was anything obvious.

I dont know what it is, but its annoying to say the least.

Could the actual mechanics of hammered semi vs. a striker semi be throwing me off that much?

No flinchies. I have had others watch me shoot and even recorded it a few times with different weapons to see if there was anything obvious.

I dont know what it is, but its annoying to say the least.

Could the actual mechanics of hammered semi vs. a striker semi be throwing me off that much?
I doubt it. If you were closer, I'd bring my Mantis over and we'd see if there's anything different about the muzzle movement when you shoot the problem gun. That's probably not it, but it would rule it out. I think Knobgoblin is on the right track. It's probably more some specific models, and less whether they're hammer fired. Grip angle sounds like the most likely to me too.

* Matis is a device that attaches to the firearm and records minute shifts in aim for a few milliseconds before, during, and after the shot breaking. It will show a diagram of that movement, among other things. You connect it via Bluetooth to a phone or tablet.

Sig , cz , beretta, Walther. Even combloc surplus stuff like mak variants. The tokarev type has a similar grip angle to the 1911 .
In other words the ignition system may be completely incidental.
I've shot sigs, CZs, and Beretta. A lot. Never shot a Walther that I can remember...

My first full size was a Beretta 92. I loved that gun and I wanted so bad to be proficient with it. Got to the point I gave up and traded it for my first CZ striker.

I doubt it. If you were closer, I'd bring my Mantis over and we'd see if there's anything different about the muzzle movement when you shoot the problem gun. That's probably not it, but it would rule it out. I think Knobgoblin is on the right track. It's probably more some specific models, and less whether they're hammer fired. Grip angle sounds like the most likely to me too.

* Matis is a device that attaches to the firearm and records minute shifts in aim for a few milliseconds before, during, and after the shot breaking. It will show a diagram of that movement, among other things. You connect it via Bluetooth to a phone or tablet.
Copy that. I'll look at the Matis device. If its not too costly I might give it a try.

Copy that. I'll look at the Matis device. If its not too costly I might give it a try.

Awesome! I'll dig into the specifics of each and definitely pick-up one of them.

Which one do you have?

Awesome! I'll dig into the specifics of each and definitely pick-up one of them.

Which one do you have?
I have the original version, which is very similar to the X2, but slightly bigger. I'd have the X10 but mine does everything I need. So I got the Blackbeard too.

It's a great way to save ammo. You can dryfire with the X2 and X10 too, but you have to recock manually.

I have the original version, which is very similar to the X2, but slightly bigger. I'd have the X10 but mine does everything I need. So I got the Blackbeard too.

It's a great way to save ammo. You can dryfire with the X2 and X10 too, but you have to recock manually.
You're a stud! Thanks for this

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top