JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've shot sigs, CZs, and Beretta. A lot. Never shot a Walther that I can remember...

My first full size was a Beretta 92. I loved that gun and I wanted so bad to be proficient with it. Got to the point I gave up and traded it for my first CZ striker.
Is your handshake like a sick jellyfish?

Is your handshake like a sick jellyfish?
More like...

20230618_222307.jpg

I have no idea what would cause this other then a mental block possibility.

I shoot striker, hammer (DA & SA) & revolvers all on the same range trip and I've never noticed a big difference other then recoii.

Sounds like you are proficient and have taken a lot of steps towards fixing your issue so good on ya for that.

I would go one of 2 routes.

1. If there is a hammer simi-auto or revolver you really want to shoot then buy a case of ammo and only shoot that until you are good with it.

2. Find an instructor you like (lots of em here on the forum) and see if they can coach you thru it.

Just my 2¢

I have no idea what would cause this other then a mental block possibility.

I shoot striker, hammer (DA & SA) & revolvers all on the same range trip and I've never noticed a big difference other then recoii.

Sounds like you are proficient and have taken a lot of steps towards fixing your issue so good on ya for that.

I would go one of 2 routes.

1. If there is a hammer simi-auto or revolver you really want to shoot then buy a case of ammo and only shoot that until you are good with it.

2. Find an instructor you like (lots of em here on the forum) and see if they can coach you thru it.

Just my 2¢
I've definitely considered the mental aspect of it. Never had anything traumatic happen that might cause a block or anything so I'm not sure.

I've definitely taken a lot of steps to try to sort through the problem. I'd also, like to think I'm proficient, but don't want to over credit myself.

The two routes you mentioned have also happened...

I've put hundreds of rounds through many guns that friends and family own that I also want to own.

I've also gotten training from a couple very reputable trainers and they've yet to see or understand a reason behind it.

Back to just being mental... 🤪

I've definitely considered the mental aspect of it. Never had anything traumatic happen that might cause a block or anything so I'm not sure.

I've definitely taken a lot of steps to try to sort through the problem. I'd also, like to think I'm proficient, but don't want to over credit myself.

The two routes you mentioned have also happened...

I've put hundreds of rounds through many guns friends and family own that I also want to own.

I've also gotten training from a couple very reputable trainers and they've yet to see or understand a reason behind it.

Back to just being mental... 🤪
Lol.

If you have already done the steps then I'm going to bet no one on the internet can help unless some fluke happens.

I'm sure this may come across as blunt but if you just can't shoot anything other then striker fired pistols then go with what you know and try to make peace with it.

3" at 10 yards ain't bad so if that works for you then if chalk it up to just having a unique quirk and be good with it.

A few of the strikers had lots of aftermarket parts so you can have as many variations as you can afford.

If you have already done the steps then I'm going to bet no one on the internet can help unless some fluke happens.
Yeah, I considered that. I've waited to post this query on here for a while, but after a recent outing that went as usual I was "triggered" and figured I'd at least ask. I do think you have a point about the mental block, just can't understand why that'd be for me.

I'm sure this may come across as blunt but if you just can't shoot anything other then striker fired pistols then go with what you know and try to make peace with it.
I'm good with blunt. No hurty the feelys here... I've mostly made peace with it, but there are just so many things I "want" its hard to let go.

3" at 10 yards ain't bad so if that works for you then if chalk it up to just having a unique quirk and be good with it.
Yeah, I shot that 938 as I was testing guns before my first subcompact purchase. At the time I was bound by a budget and ended up getting a shield. Ironically enough, that was the first and only striker fired gun that didn't work for me. Absolutely hated that gun, so it went bye-bye.

A few of the strikers had lots of aftermarket parts so you can have as many variations as you can afford.
Yes sir. I love my CZs and I tend to have duplicates that are modded differently so I get lots of variety.

Something like this is extremely difficult to diagnose without actually watching you shoot.

Another idea might be your natural hand grip/structure and pull mechanics as it relates to length of pull and finger position on the trigger. IE., Handguns with shorter lengths of pull you might be "choking up" with your trigger finger such that the mechanics of your hand structure is pulling you off. Likewise, a thinner/thicker gripped firearm and trigger finger position might have the same affect... pulling you off aim at the break when muscle tension peaks and suddenly releases.

There isn't much you can do about your genetics (hand/bone/muscle structure) but you can retrain your finger positioning for the best horizontal contraction at the break.

I'm not saying that's it, but examining the possibility might yield some improvements in accuracy or at least help diagnose what common firearm characteristic is messing you over.

Hi, my name is FATAL125 and I can't shoot hammer fired handguns.

I'm not new to guns. I'm not as experienced as many others, but I've shot quite a bit of a wide variety of things. One of the main things that plagues me when it comes to handguns (revolver and semi-auto) is that I seriously struggle to be consistent with hammer fired guns. Make, model, caliber... doesn't matter. I just consistently suck...

Striker fired handguns... no problem at all. From subs to full size I've never had an issue.

The only hammer fired gun I ever shot well was a Sig P938. I could keep 7 rounds inside 3 inches at 10 yards over and over again. Now I dont say that to brag, but rather adding to the WTF factor. My buddy who owned that 938 was soooooo confused I shot that so "well", but could barely keep a full size 1911 (in 9 or 45) in the A zone.

This may sound super stupid, but I'm legitimately curious WTF... My hope is there are others out there who have experienced this or may understand why this would be a thing and have something helpful to offer to aid in my ever-growing saddness.

I expect some jokes and pokes... no sweat. I'd also like to hear some productive thoughts and ideas on the matter.
If you have shot a variety of both styles and you have found that consistently you do worse with a hammer gun, well I guess you should just stay with striker-fired. Nothing wrong with those...
I find that a good trigger (short take-up, clean wall, light pull, crisp break) is a significant aspect of what makes an accurate handgun when shooting at 15 yards or farther, and for me a good single action trigger is best in that regard. I own striker, da/sa, da only, sa only.

The only hammer fired gun I ever shot well was a Sig P938. I could keep 7 rounds inside 3 inches at 10 yards over and over again. Now I dont say that to brag, but rather adding to the WTF factor. My buddy who owned that 938 was soooooo confused I shot that so "well", but could barely keep a full size 1911 (in 9 or 45) in the A zone.
Im curious what make/model of 1911s you shot?
Trigger quality can vary widely even in the same brand. Single action triggers have a reputation for being "easier" or "better" but thats only on the really nice ones. It could be simply the single action triggers arent as nice.

But maybe your friend owns some really nice 1911s....
It could also be they are true straight pull triggers, which might explain why you shoot the 938 the same as your strikers... 938s are pivoting triggers. Try your friends 1911s again with just the tip of your trigger finger. Take up any overtravel slack (if any) before pressing.

Something like this is extremely difficult to diagnose without actually watching you shoot.

Another idea might be your natural hand grip/structure and pull mechanics as it relates to length of pull and finger position on the trigger. IE., Handguns with shorter lengths of pull you might be "choking up" with your trigger finger such that the mechanics of your hand structure is pulling you off. Likewise, a thinner/thicker gripped firearm and finger positioning might have the same affect... pulling you off aim at the break when muscle tension peaks and suddenly releases.

There isn't much you can do about your genetics (hand/bone/muscle structure) but you can retrain your finger positioning for the best horizontal contraction at the break.

I'm not saying that's it, but examining the possibility might yield some improvements in accuracy or at least help diagnose what common firearm characteristic is messing you over.
Absolutely agree.

My 92FS made this very clear. I dont have small hands necessarily, but the fat grip on that thing caused quite a ruckus for me. Hours of drawing, grip changes, finger placement changes, and so on. Just trying to get some amount of muscle memory built up on that gun so I could be halfway proficient.

Once I started into 1911's it was very different, but likewise just as difficult. I do shoot 1911's a little better than my Beretta, but only slightly. I do believe part of that was my natural finger position on the trigger at draw.

Definitely appreciate your comments. Thank you

If you have shot a variety of both styles and you have found that consistently you do worse with a hammer gun, well I guess you should just stay with striker-fired. Nothing wrong with those...
Agreed. I love my strikers and I wont lose any sleep if I never figure out my hammer gun "issues".

Just always been a bizarre thing for me and this is the biggest platform I'm on to ask for outside opinions.

Absolutely agree.

My 92FS made this very clear. I dont have small hands necessarily, but the fat grip on that thing caused quite a ruckus for me. Hours of drawing, grip changes, finger placement changes, and so on. Just trying to get some amount of muscle memory built up on that gun so I could be halfway proficient.

Once I started into 1911's it was very different, but likewise just as difficult. I do shoot 1911's a little better than my Beretta, but only slightly. I do believe part of that was my natural finger position on the trigger at draw.

Definitely appreciate your comments. Thank you
In the dark, all guns are like Schrodinger's cat. So do that.

Im curious what make/model of 1911s you shot?
Trigger quality can vary widely even in the same brand. Single action triggers have a reputation for being "easier" or "better" but thats only on the really nice ones. It could be simply the single action triggers arent as nice.

But maybe your friend owns some really nice 1911s....
It could also be they are true straight pull triggers, which might explain why you shoot the 938 the same as your strikers... 938s are pivoting triggers. Try your friends 1911s again with just the tip of your trigger finger. Take up any overtravel slack (if any) before pressing.
In 1911's... Ruger, Taurus, Kimber, one old Colt, RIA, Springfield, Sig, and S&W off the top of my head.

Hi, my name is FATAL125 and I can't shoot hammer fired handguns.

I'm not new to guns. I'm not as experienced as many others, but I've shot quite a bit of a wide variety of things. One of the main things that plagues me when it comes to handguns (revolver and semi-auto) is that I seriously struggle to be consistent with hammer fired guns. Make, model, caliber... doesn't matter. I just consistently suck...

Striker fired handguns... no problem at all. From subs to full size I've never had an issue.

This may sound super stupid, but I'm legitimately curious WTF... My hope is there are others out there who have experienced this or may understand why this would be a thing and have something helpful to offer to aid in my ever-growing saddness.

I expect some jokes and pokes... no sweat. I'd also like to hear some productive thoughts and ideas on the matter.
Here's my latest effort with a 1911 hammer-type handgun...

TargetCourse.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top