JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
More or less... I have some 22's but rarely do I use them anymore.

They are for the kids now.

I kind of thought the same way, @Kruejl - Once i'd moved up in calibre, .22 seemed somehow not worth it, it doesn't shoot the same way, the guns, for some reason, don't feel like you handle them the same.

Anyway, short version, you should treat them in their own right, as their own class of firearm, mine don't get shot that often, but they're a lot of fun when they are, and i'm reminded why i liked them in the first place, even my Wife's single shot bolt action.

Nope, not gonna give mine up in the near future even though I do still enjoy the AR the most. I've taught my 2 kids & at least a dozen new shooters that are hooked & own their own guns now.
Plus I have found a new source for 10/22 food....;) 20161010_185139_001.jpg

I kind of thought the same way, @Kruejl - Once i'd moved up in calibre, .22 seemed somehow not worth it, it doesn't shoot the same way, the guns, for some reason, don't feel like you handle them the same.

Anyway, short version, you should treat them in their own right, as their own class of firearm, mine don't get shot that often, but they're a lot of fun when they are, and i'm reminded why i liked them in the first place, even my Wife's single shot bolt action.
You hit on something here I have run into a lot, the "feel" of most .22 rifles just isn't the same. Most feel smaller and lighter, probably to appeal to the most shooters possible. I hadn't really thought much of that until the Ruger 10/22 really started to take off, then they all sort of felt small to me! This is one of the reasons I do not own a 10/22, and in fact all my .22 rifles are "Full Size" in that if you were to look in my safe you wouldn't easily spot the .22's! I guess for me, that is what make my .22 rifles much more likely to get used, they don't make me think less of them just because they shoot such a small round, they just feel right in my hands! Does that make any sense?

You hit on something here I have run into a lot, the "feel" of most .22 rifles just isn't the same. Most feel smaller and lighter, probably to appeal to the most shooters possible. I hadn't really thought much of that until the Ruger 10/22 really started to take off, then they all sort of felt small to me! This is one of the reasons I do not own a 10/22, and in fact all my .22 rifles are "Full Size" in that if you were to look in my safe you wouldn't easily spot the .22's! I guess for me, that is what make my .22 rifles much more likely to get used, they don't make me think less of them just because they shoot such a small round, they just feel right in my hands! Does that make any sense?

Love my henery lever .22 - for the exact opposite of what you said lol.

So easy to swing and aim as well as light that it is just part of my hiking gear now, being strapped to my backpack.

In previous years, for grouse and small game but also just for shooting a water bottle a few dozen times if I get bored.

Not all that much heavier then a .22 hunting pistol and much easier for longer range shots for me.

I had a Henry .22 one time, just didn't care for it. same with the Marlin lever .22! Nice "little"" rifles, but just not my thing! The smallest .22 rifle I own is a Remington 541T-HB and that's almost the size and weight as a Savage 111 in .223!

Is it really that hard to just spell stuff out? I'm not just talking about you heretic, but everyone.
Not everyone was in the military and knows WTF the abbreviations are about
WTF is CPHP? Just write it out. Then everyone can know what you're talking about.
It's really not that cool to just abbreviate everything. You don't seem smarter than everyone else. I think it just laziness myself.
Don't even start. Everyone knows what WTF stands for and that I can't spell that out
Again Heretic this isn't just about you,don't take it personally.
(Gets off soap box)o_O

I like to abbr.....um......it makes me feel like I seem smarter than everyone else! :cool:

I noticed that Caveman Jim withheld the new found source! It's okay Jim I have my 10,000 rounds. I have not made a effort to shoot my .22 LRs, just because I need to shoot others. and our indoor range charges each box like they were center fire. I have a Henry AR-7 that stays in my Pickup with three magazines like Cigar Lover does (You can leave one in the well, gun unchambered), I have a hundred pack of 22LR in there too. I have two 10-22's one never fired the other a takedown with the aftermarket Ruger trigger. My old JC Higgins made by Marlin, eight shot magazine fed, bolt gun was new in '59 going to my oldest.....some day. I have a Henry Pump that because of the octagon barrel, is a little heavy for a .22. My Lever Henry is a 22 Magnum. So I just have five 22LR rifles counting the AR-7. I can't see me firing my Mossy Oak 10-22, but I still won't get rid of it Come to think of it I have a good many guns that I haven't shot in a long, long time, not getting rid of anything. Two revolvers and three Rugers, MK I, MK III 22/45 Lite Bright Blue, and a SR-22, contemplating another 22/45 with NRA Logo on the Bolt and grips from Davidson's, it's red or 10-22 take down pistol. I still like 22s.

Is it really that hard to just spell stuff out? I'm not just talking about you heretic, but everyone.
Not everyone was in the military and knows WTF the abbreviations are about
WTF is CPHP? Just write it out. Then everyone can know what you're talking about.
It's really not that cool to just abbreviate everything. You don't seem smarter than everyone else. I think it just laziness myself.
Don't even start. Everyone knows what WTF stands for and that I can't spell that out
Again Heretic this isn't just about you,don't take it personally.
(Gets off soap box)o_O

You got after a couple of tries; it wasn't about being cool or seeming military like - I was STLTSIO (simply too lazy to spell it out) - and will continue to be. I had been looking for it for a while and seen the acronym that I assumed others would know what it is.

I never lost the love of rimfire 22 or "graduated to centerfire".

I practice a bit with centerfire, but I have always preferred rimfire for the much lower cost, the much lower noise, the lighter handier firearms, and the lesser risk of the projectile going much further than I intended.

I can concentrate on technique and marksmanship.

My only lament about standard .22 rimfire is the lack of range. Yes, I know they can be shot much longer than 100 yard, but you do start to lose accuracy and the trajectory become ridiculous IMO. I had some fun when I used to shoot metallic silhouette with rimfire out to something like 200 yards, but beyond was too much hassle.

Ive got my wife hooked on shooting .22's also, this was her first time ever shooting the old clunky Winchester 52. Nat bad for her first time, and at 75 yards...
Yah I know I really should find a better target, but old boxes were available..;)

14696839_10210286100325981_963619259_n.jpg
14555999_10210286100485985_1921482834_n.jpg

Many years ago, when I was getting into centerfire handguns that generate a bunch of recoil, I always made a point to bring Grandpa's Ruger 22 along. When I could tell that my shooting wasn't going well (flinching), The Ruger would come out. After a few magazines I could "re-learn" proper trigger control and would go back to the big guns. I've seen a lot of shooters that would have benefited from this, but wouldn't stoop low enough to shoot a .22.
I disagree with the thought that once you develop a flinch, you can't git rid of it. A .22, either rifle or pistol, is the best tool for the job.
I'm also one of the guys that really likes a full size .22 rifle. While I usually shoot the Henry with my grandson, I appreciate the size and heft of a bigger rifle. Always wanted a wood stocked 77/22...

Idea to feed the antis concerning bullet type acronyms.

Tell them dicks sporting goods (might as well be anti gun, so f*** them and their fed boot licking policies) is selling the new bthpfmjapi mammoth round. Let it hit a media source and have those libtards explain it haha. New ban on mammoth boat tail fmj hps lolol. I'd die laughing personally. The anti humor atf might even chuckle

I noticed that Caveman Jim withheld the new found source! It's okay Jim I have my 10,000 rounds. I have not made a effort to shoot my .22 LRs, just because I need to shoot others. and our indoor range charges each box like they were center fire. I have a Henry AR-7 that stays in my Pickup with three magazines like Cigar Lover does (You can leave one in the well, gun unchambered), I have a hundred pack of 22LR in there too. I have two 10-22's one never fired the other a takedown with the aftermarket Ruger trigger. My old JC Higgins made by Marlin, eight shot magazine fed, bolt gun was new in '59 going to my oldest.....some day. I have a Henry Pump that because of the octagon barrel, is a little heavy for a .22. My Lever Henry is a 22 Magnum. So I just have five 22LR rifles counting the AR-7. I can't see me firing my Mossy Oak 10-22, but I still won't get rid of it Come to think of it I have a good many guns that I haven't shot in a long, long time, not getting rid of anything. Two revolvers and three Rugers, MK I, MK III 22/45 Lite Bright Blue, and a SR-22, contemplating another 22/45 with NRA Logo on the Bolt and grips from Davidson's, it's red or 10-22 take down pistol. I still like 22s.

Well if the real location got out on the interweb then the source would dry up & people will continue to pay $75 for a 325 round brick....:eek::eek::eek:
I'm saving the people from the scalpers!!!;)

I like that the 10/22's are so lite and easy to pack around. My ruger take down weighs 6 lbs scoped. My bowling ball weighs 3 times that:p

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top