JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I see no reason to get out of .22lr. I enjoy shooting it, even if I don't do it on every range trip. As @Joe13 noted, it's good for training - including folks you may not expect, such as co-workers or people you haven't yet met. They have a utilitarian purpose too - pest control, even small game hunting in a SHTF scenario, for example. Ammo is still, relatively, much cheaper than many other types of ammo.

I won't dump .22lr, but if you want to, that's no biggie either. Own and shoot what you want and what you enjoy. I'm sure you can find buyers for your gun(s) and ammo if you decide to move on.

Lots of opinions and thoughts here, and I respect them all. It seems that most of you wouldn't give up on .22lr for any reason. I respect that. And like I said my girls have either not taken an interest in shooting or have moved on to larger calibers.

And to be honest, I don't necessarily rely on 22lr to start off a new shooter. My wife and my 21 year old both started on the 22 WMR and quickly moved up to AR's.

At the end of the day, I don't think it's a bad round or isn't useful. I just find myself trolling for ammo and buying it when I see it. And then it sits in dry storage. My oldest even comments that it feels like a "toy" compared to the others we shoot. I don't know. I was just looking for thoughts.

Lots of opinions and thoughts here, and I respect them all. It seems that most of you wouldn't give up on .22lr for any reason. I respect that. And like I said my girls have either not taken an interest in shooting or have moved on to larger calibers.

And to be honest, I don't necessarily rely on 22lr to start off a new shooter. My wife and my 21 year old both started on the 22 WMR and quickly moved up to AR's.

At the end of the day, I don't think it's a bad round or isn't useful. I just find myself trolling for ammo and buying it when I see it. And then it sits in dry storage. My oldest even comments that it feels like a "toy" compared to the others we shoot. I don't know. I was just looking for thoughts.
If you're not using it and don't plan to, there may be better things to do with your money.

I can guarantee with about 99% accuaracy that one of the neighbors across the street too out a varmint with one - only a single shot but it was almost for sure a gun.

My wife was a little weirded out but I told her it could have been a loud airgun just as easily.

Nothing wrong with dumping a certain round - I got out of .22wmr because I wasn't using it and ammo is more spendy the a 9mm right now.

As far as a toy goes - that's right on the money for me out alone in the woods, I shoot whatever and feel like I'm 4 again learning to shoot and my long gone favorite grandfather is there looking over my shoulder telling me to breath and squeeze;).

I think most teens or adults move up to the .223 etc pretty fast but I still take a .22lr on all my shooting trips; it tells me immediately if I'm flinching with my other guns.

If I had a wish, it would be that the ammo wasn't so damn dirty:p.

I so have my hopes up for a mk4 hunter someday:cool:.

I ditched .22lr once I discovered the joys of reloading. I simply couldn't justify spending money (especially .10+ per round, when I sold my last 10/22) when that money could buy reloading supplies or centerfire ammo that I felt like collecting brass from. Picking up .22 casings is a real PITA as well, they tend to fly a ways and are so small that it becomes too much of a chore and most people don't bother... hence the vast amount of rimfire brass left behind at shooting spots across the country. Just my .02.

No, I will never be without .22 LR firearms. I receive tremendous pleasure from shooting the tiniest groups possible, from any .22 rimfire. Sure. I still shoot many other grown-up cartridge firearms, but when I'm done, and I really want to have fun, we drag out the rimfires.

WAYNO.

It's not even just the ammo crunch, although that has part to do with it. And increased prices. But it's more that I don't find as much enjoyment anymore as my larger calibers.
True, true. Now that much of the ammo has found its way back to the shelves and most of the hoarding has subsided you would think that prices would have come back down accordingly. The only thing that comes to mind is greed. Greed from the manufacturers and greed from the middle men and distributors. By the time is gets to the shelves of the merchants they have little choice but to mark it up again if they want to make their payroll.

There's all kinds of projectiles ranging from spitballs to mortars.. pick one and have fun. Lol. (I was quite deadly with spit!balls in elementary school).

I ditched .22lr once I discovered the joys of reloading. I simply couldn't justify spending money (especially .10+ per round, when I sold my last 10/22) when that money could buy reloading supplies or centerfire ammo that I felt like collecting brass from. Picking up .22 casings is a real PITA as well, they tend to fly a ways and are so small that it becomes too much of a chore and most people don't bother... hence the vast amount of rimfire brass left behind at shooting spots across the country. Just my .02.

The tweakers pick up all that little brass at all the shooting spots I've gone too:D. Or some real OCD shooters know my spots:p

I understand the lack of interest in .22 but I will never dump mine for the following reasons:

• I very rarely will get rid of a gun due to the loss of $$ usually involved
  • .22 has uses for SHTF which I believe in being prepared for. I realize not everyone does.
  • .22 is invaluable when teaching brand new shooters and younger kids. Seems like at least a couple times a year I'm taking a new shooter out.
  • My interests fade and come back. I've seen it happen before
  • I still find use practicing with .22. YMMV

I would pay $.20 a round for 22 LR if I had to ( I don't have to, I got a lot ratholed)

i've got 4 22 suppressors and my 22's or some of the most fun to shoot guns I own.

Probably some of the last guns I would ever sell

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads