JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only chance anyone has of living off the land after TSHTF is if you have already received training for the target area and climate. Learning it on the job will not work.

It's an art.

It would be the Masterpiece of survival. It's possible.

So you might have a chance. Same chance as painting a masterpiece...

The only chance anyone has of living off the land after TSHTF is if you have already received training for the target area and climate. Learning it on the job will not work.

It's an art.

It would be the Masterpiece of survival. It's possible.

So you might have a chance. Same chance as painting a masterpiece...
I believe that we are sayin' the same thing......It's not impossible...

Link to pics of my masterpiece.Robert Harvey Oshatz, Architect

It just takes practice and determination.
W44

Last Edited:
Theres alot of different kind of "preppers" from people preparing for the end of the world, people getting ready for the next katrina, and people working on homesteading. Its a huge cut of people from hippies dabbling in green living, to militants building bunkers. The only real major thing in common is the ethic of independence and a sense of personal responsibility for their fate.

So lets look at a few things discussed in this forum.

Gardening,
Cars
Go bags
Magazines
Books
food storage
Gear
and zombies

Almost nothing about living off the land, in fact most people know that isn't possible anymore and would rather discuss zombies. :D

At first, I'd think it was just a phase.. a small time natural disaster.
I'm still covered for a month or two just staying indoors. Heat, food, Stored Water, TP..etc.

After I ran out, if chaos still ensued I'd run only at night for a while.. scouting.
Not sure if I'd TOTALLY rely on a firearm. Don't get me wrong I'd have my arsenal but I'm thinking a bow would be superb. Quiet, easy, reusable.

I'd run circles before actually heading to BC. But all in all, I don't think I'd attempt trading. Call me paranoid, but it opens your inventory up to on lookers near by. I'd probably kill and steal. Hate to say it, but if we're talking full on "THE ROAD" where there is nothing left then yeah..

I don't think I'd be a part of a community either. I'd think the thing on the "Community Mind" would be to disarm in order to join.. I could not do that. Nor could I follow some "Community Leader".. Nor do I want followers. Being a single man, I've got nothing to lose. And its easier to talk the talk. But if I had a family (Kid and wife).. I'm not sure..
Would keep the lady inside though. I worry women would be traded and treated like cattle. :(

Not sure if I'd TOTALLY rely on a firearm. Don't get me wrong I'd have my arsenal but I'm thinking a bow would be superb. Quiet, easy, reusable.

(

The average modern arrow is lost or destroyed in about 5 shots. How many can you easily carry? 12 to 20? Ever try to make an arrow? In the wilderness that will fly straight?

If you can't do it now, you will never be able to do it when you are starving with you hands shaking and weak.

Get a .22lr rifle with s silencer. You can carry thousands of rounds. You'll be happy.

I'd probably kill and steal.

roflbot-Wqyt.jpg

The problem that arises with "homesteading" or living off the land by growing food,is that who's land will you be doing this on?
Do you think they will just let you squat on their land?
Trust me,they WILL be prepared to keep their land,maybe from a 1000 yards out.

So just leaving the "Urban Environment" and taking all that book knowledge to the hills will probably get you shot if you stop on the wrong piece of land.The people outside of the suburbs will probably be more prepared than the city folk.
Even with some survival skills.

You will need hunting and food gathering knowledge.Water filtering,storing,food drying,good fire skills,shelter making.

I gotta stand by what I said,a vast knowledge of camping,hiking and hunting/shooting will give you most everything you need to survive the zombies.

Paint your "masterpiece?"

:nuts::rolleyes:

Wheeler, I agree. Rather than folks stomping down others' prepping efforts, would be wiser to shut up and listen.... one thing youngsters seem to have the most problem with. The "me" generation has much to learn about cooperative efforts, and that everyone can't be the boss expertleader.

Wheeler, I agree. Rather than folks stomping down others' prepping efforts, would be wiser to shut up and listen.... one thing youngsters seem to have the most problem with. The "me" generation has much to learn about cooperative efforts, and that everyone can't be the boss expertleader.

Oh, but nothing bad is going to happen anyways- and besides, living in the woods is harder than anyone can imagine so we shouldn't even consider the possibility.

[/sarcasm]

America is the greatest nation on Earth- yet we have the laziest, most excuse riddled populous I've ever known.

The above posts in this very thread is why I don't think we will ever stand a chance in any revolution. OPAWY, Wheeler, just let these sheeple stay in their urban homes and try playing escape and evade from local raiding parties; which, I imagine, will be more difficult than living in the woods.

Trying to hide the fact that you have power or food from a hungry, desperate populous will far outweigh the difficulty than me finding food and water in the woods. If you do not feel this way or think that there is any reason to prepare for such a scenario then why are you even in this forum? Why even read these posts? This is a PREPAREDNESS forum! Sit down, shut up, listen or click something else!

No Riot, you completely mis-interpreted what I said. But going off half cocked with info, you thought you read but didn't, is kinda reinforcing some of what I DID say. Quick to jump...

Not jumping on you...just everyone else (I edited the post, I realize how it sounded like I was attacking YOU when that was not my intent).

Let these guys think they can live on 1st street while we sit in the trees eating venison.

I will probably be there, in the next tree, eating venison right along with you. I'll be the little grandma type with white hair waving at you. Don't shoot me, honey. By the way, I live in the country, not the city. You may end up sitting in my apple tree some day, and I may just letcha.
Why? Because survival works better if we band together and work cooperatively.

Riot....I'd like folks to see that it's not impossible to "go bush" as we used to say back home...Many folks won't try because of posters that say "It's impossible"..Many won't because it's too much work (lol) or they'll miss that all important game on TeeVee....

But the folks that want to but don't know where to start are the ones that I'm here for..

I offered to take folks out onto a private forest that I have access to. Not one response. I have "gone bush" in every season in the PNW and SE Alaska and enjoy it. I would like to share what was freely given to me by others...No joy...

I am not surprised.. I'm also an Appleseed instructor. Folks that spent a fortune on kick stands, blinking lights and cup holders for their carbines won't invest $70.00 and a weekend to learn how to shoot it.

But I keep on instructing for the folks that do show up.

Keep on keepin' on Riot, you're okay and probably will be okay no matter what.

W44

Last Edited:
Riot....I'd like folks to see that it's not impossible to "go bush" as we used to say back home...Many folks won't try because of posters that say "It's impossible"..Many won't because it's too much work (lol) or they'll miss that all important game on TeeVee....

But the folks that want to but don't know where to start are the ones that I'm here for..

I offered to take folks out onto a private forest that I have access to. Not one response. I have "gone bush" in every season in the PNW and SE Alaska and enjoy it. I would like to share what was freely given to me by others...No joy...

I am not surprised.. I'm also an Appleseed instructor. Folks that spent a fortune on kick stands, blinking lights and cup holders for their carbines won't invest $70.00 and a weekend to learn how to shoot it.

But I keep on instructing for the folks that do show up.

Keep on keepin' on Riot, you're okay and probably will be okay no matter what.

W44

Thanks for that, I realize the more I read the less I know. Having said that I realize how much other people aren't even bothering to try...they just go back to playing their XBox/Wii or computer games and keep on going back to the things that take their mind off the real problem at hand. Which is EXACTLY what the government wants you to do! They want you to be ignorant fat and stupid sitting in your house asking what they should do to the same people that caused the problem in the first place!

Then I'm a "nut" for prepping and stock piling. To me, they're the freekin nuts. Sure, there are tards among us that think the government puts fluoride in your water to control your thoughts and they need a tin foil hat to keep the CIA from reading their minds, but there are a lot of people that just are scared and tired. We see the storm coming and are being mocked for putting up the windows...I say screw them. They want to live in ignorance, that is fine with me.

I will probably be there, in the next tree, eating venison right along with you. I'll be the little grandma type with white hair waving at you. Don't shoot me, honey. By the way, I live in the country, not the city. You may end up sitting in my apple tree some day, and I may just letcha.
Why? Because survival works better if we band together and work cooperatively.

Ma'am, I have a feeling that if you were anywhere near me you'd already be in my group.

The problem that arises with "homesteading" or living off the land by growing food,is that who's land will you be doing this on?
Do you think they will just let you squat on their land?
Trust me,they WILL be prepared to keep their land,maybe from a 1000 yards out.

So just leaving the "Urban Environment" and taking all that book knowledge to the hills will probably get you shot if you stop on the wrong piece of land.The people outside of the suburbs will probably be more prepared than the city folk.
Even with some survival skills.
:s0155:

You will need hunting and food gathering knowledge.Water filtering,storing,food drying,good fire skills,shelter making.

I gotta stand by what I said,a vast knowledge of camping,hiking and hunting/shooting will give you most everything you need to survive the zombies.

Paint your "masterpiece?"

:nuts::rolleyes:

I agree that squatters will encounter a less than warm welcome in rural areas. My "shelter area" is a remote tract of lands surrounded by other homesteads. While all who live there are willing to lend a hand whenever you need help, I am quite sure in a SHTF event the locals will be less than eager to share their land and resources with wandering strangers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top