JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK This is thee biggest topic on this site.

What if ________ (fill in with WHATEVER you like) happens?
(And change the scenario as much as you want)

HERE IT IS!!! :s0001::s0001::s0001::s0132::banana::buttrock:

We,while us kids were young,used to camp all the time.We knew how to light the Coleman "white gas" stove,from priming it to shutting it down.

We knew how to store water,we knew how to keep food when there was no refer.
Just simple stuff.
Make a lean to,put up a tent,make a camp fire (hehehe,love fire:angry:) roast marshmallows,all that good stuff.

Maybe that's why I don't get the hype? Maybe that's why I don't gt excited about this poopy stuff?

IF,(I like to spell this IPHF,so it's a 4 letter word)
you go camping every once in a while and live like a camper,take week some time,you will have 90% of the preparedness you will need.

Go learn to shoot and you have the rest.

Really simple bubblegum.Stored knowledge will kick in.

Oh,you may have to punch someone to calm then down though.

Peace out my brotheren

I think you and I and alot of other people on this site would be just fine if poo hit the fan but I think where the problem lies is with the people that dont know how the live like that or never camped out and get crazy and want all you stuff. That is the problem. If every one left each other alone then that would be fine.

I think you and I and alot of other people on this site would be just fine if poo hit the fan but I think where the problem lies is with the people that dont know how the live like that or never camped out and get crazy and want all you stuff. That is the problem. If every one left each other alone then that would be fine.

I agree. The biggest threat will be desperate people willing to do anything to get what you have. Getting out of the city with all your gear and supplies will be difficult to say the least. If you can do that and get to a safe, remote area you'll be doing pretty good. But there will still be the possibility of someone finding you, and anyone who does will probably be in survival mode and armed.

OK This is thee biggest topic on this site.

What if ________ (fill in with WHATEVER you like) happens?
(And change the scenario as much as you want)

HERE IT IS!!! :s0001::s0001::s0001::s0132::banana::buttrock:

We.while us kids were young,used to camp all the time.We knew how to light the Coleman "white gas" stove,from priming it to shutting it down.

We knew how to store water,we knew how to keep food when there was no refer.
Just simple stuff.
Make a lean to,put up a tent,make a camp fire (hehehe,love fire:angry:) roast marshmallows,all that good stuff.

Maybe that's why I don't get the hype? Maybe that's why I don't gt excited about this poopy stuff?

IF,(I like to spell this IPHF,so it's a 4 letter word)
you go camping every once in a while and live like a camper,take week some time,you will have 90% of the preparedness you will need.

Go learn to shoot and you have the rest.

Really simple bubblegum.Stored knowledge will kick in.

Oh,you may have to punch someone to calm then down though.

Peace out my brotheren

You bring a year's supply of food with you when you camp?

:huh:

Camping does, indeed, enforce the knowledge and skills you need to survive without modern technology. Camping on a regular basis also gets you in the correct mindset and you are able to acquire a lot of the needed tools and equipment. However, if the weather gets too bad, you rip a hole in your tent or run out of food- you can just pack up and go home.

That is the difference between camping and surviving....if you cannot find your own food, purify your own water, make your own clothes, construct your own shelter then you are nothing but a tourist in the woods.

*edit to add*

I always find it funny when people hop on a survival forum to insult people in it...it's like if someone from the Brady Campaign came on NWFA and started calling all of us gun-nuts, murderers and such. I guess you think that if you go to the KKK website and post something there you'll change some racist minds as well?

Us "preppers" think you are the one who is misguided....call us nuts or whatever you like. If we prep and nothing happenes, then you can say "I told you so!"

But if you don't prep and something happens then I guess we'll live and you won't...

You bring a year's supply of food with you when you camp?

:huh:

Camping does, indeed, enforce the knowledge and skills you need to survive without modern technology. Camping on a regular basis also gets you in the correct mindset and you are able to acquire a lot of the needed tools and equipment. However, if the weather gets too bad, you rip a hole in your tent or run out of food- you can just pack up and go home.

That is the difference between camping and surviving....if you cannot find your own food, purify your own water, make your own clothes, construct your own shelter then you are nothing but a tourist in the woods.

*edit to add*

I always find it funny when people hop on a survival forum to insult people in it...it's like if someone from the Brady Campaign came on NWFA and started calling all of us gun-nuts, murderers and such. I guess you think that if you go to the KKK website and post something there you'll change some racist minds as well?

Us "preppers" think you are the one who is misguided....call us nuts or whatever you like. If we prep and nothing happenes, then you can say "I told you so!"

But if you don't prep and something happens then I guess we'll live and you won't...

Did you just do some acid? A big line of coke?
WOW

I'm not insulting anyone here.I'm simply stating if you go camping and do some survival type bubblegum you can figure out how to survive.
A marathon runner doesn't have to run the marathon distances to train for the next meet.

If you 'just pack up and leave' when something goes wrong,shame on you.
Most diligent campers/hunters would 'just fix the problem' and continue with the holiday.
The amount of food you take with you camping has nothing to do with if you can translate camping to surviving.
Being able to store the food does

Too bad I offended your "prepper" mindset.:s0129:

As far as the ones that want to take your goods,that's what learning to shoot is for.;):s0155:

I can see both sides of the fence. Both groups have good intentions and there is nothing wrong with being a "prepper", but the OP has a good point, with the tools (literal and figuratively) that you have at your disposal as a devout outdoor camper, you can survive almost anything. I have been a hunter and camper all of my life. I believe I have the skills and tools to survive for a long amount of time without a lot of supplies. long enough to build a proper shelter, build a food reserve to survive and my other half has the home making (natural cooking, sewing etc) skills to complement the outdoor skills I have.
The only things that I "prep" with are ammo...I can take care of the rest.

Oh I don't see anything wrong with the "prepper" mind set at all.
But if you add a great camping backround to it,you will never fail.

It's called practice,practice ,practice.And you can have fun doing it.
(plus your wife and kids don't think you've lost it)

Did you just do some acid? A big line of coke?
WOW

I'm not insulting anyone here.I'm simply stating if you go camping and do some survival type bubblegum you can figure out how to survive.
A marathon runner doesn't have to run the marathon distances to train for the next meet.

If you 'just pack up and leave' when something goes wrong,shame on you.
Most diligent campers/hunters would 'just fix the problem' and continue with the holiday.
The amount of food you take with you camping has nothing to do with if you can translate camping to surviving.
Being able to store the food does

Too bad I offended your "prepper" mindset.:s0129:

As far as the ones that want to take your goods,that's what learning to shoot is for.;):s0155:

Mark...You must not have the ability to see things from another point of view...It must be fantastic knowing that you are always right in every matter...Even better knowing that you know what is best for everyone else within earshot.

I hope that someday I can be as awesome as you...Oh and also as kind caring and compassionate....BTW are you drunk?

W44

Mark...You must not have the ability to see things from another point of view...It must be fantastic knowing that you are always right in every matter...Even better knowing that you know what is best for everyone else within earshot.

I hope that someday I can be as awesome as you...Oh and also as kind caring and compassionate....BTW are you drunk?

W44

It's Mike not mark and I probably was drunk.

Oh and forget even trying to be as awesome as I am.
It's not always that fun.

I also hunt camp fish and I am a prepper. I will say this about survival. Any hunter that thinks he is going to live in the woods and off the land.....good luck. Most people dont know how to cure meat. They will simply shoot a deer today eat what they can and shoot another one tomorrow. I ask this question to all of you fellow hunters. How many times have you hunted all week and seen nothing? what about all season and come home with nothing? Now Imagine half the population of your state in the woods. Aside from the constant threat, the game population will be GONE within a month. More than likely within a few weeks. And the ones that are there you will never see. If they can elude cougars I promise that they can and will elude you.
My advise is printed media. Books on northwest edibles. And stock up on barter items. I can always get clean water, but that is a skill set that I have learned. Surfing the web is great, but if the web goes away I want hard copies.

I can see both sides of the fence. Both groups have good intentions and there is nothing wrong with being a "prepper", but the OP has a good point, with the tools (literal and figuratively) that you have at your disposal as a devout outdoor camper, you can survive almost anything. I have been a hunter and camper all of my life. I believe I have the skills and tools to survive for a long amount of time without a lot of supplies. long enough to build a proper shelter, build a food reserve to survive and my other half has the home making (natural cooking, sewing etc) skills to complement the outdoor skills I have.
The only things that I "prep" with are ammo...I can take care of the rest.

To Late!!!! my wife already thinks I lost it!!!!!

Oh I don't see anything wrong with the "prepper" mind set at all.
But if you add a great camping backround to it,you will never fail.

It's called practice,practice ,practice.And you can have fun doing it.
(plus your wife and kids don't think you've lost it)

I'm afraid that heading to the hills to live off of the land in a disaster scenario and expecting it to be like camping, would be like heading off to war expecting it to be like a day at the range. I wish whomever has that as plan "A" the best of luck, I'm sure that they will need it...

You're making it more than it is,has to be.

If you won't be going out and doing the same things as a camping trip,what will it be then?

You won't need to store food without refrigeration?
You won't need to know how to stay warm in adverse conditions?
You won't need to know how to cook without electricity?
Maybe no propane/other fuel besides wood?
Start a fire?
Track through the woods?
Collect water?
Food?

Do some shooting?
Maybe bow hunting?
Fix a wound?

What else do I need?

You can put a lot more into it,but being able to camp and do the stuff I just listed will prepare you for a lot more that sitting home reading these type treads and storing stuff in the basement,while wearing your tin foil hat.

I believe this prepares you to be a refugee. Nothing more.

If an emergency is short duration you'd be fine. That is all. Living off the land is the number one survivalist myth.
Living off the land is no more a myth than 1/4 MOA all day long....Some folks can do it...But it's rare, extremely rare. One lucky group ain't gonna cut it.

Folks lived off of the land for generations before Safeway. Most folks haven't tried it though.. Poke salad anyone?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top