JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Inspired by past discussions along the line, what about a 2023 Preparedness "Whatcha Read'n?" thread? I'll get this party started.

Finished these two in the first couple weeks of the year:

DahDo CD.jpg

Every Home a Fortress: Cold War Fatherhood and the Family Fallout Shelter, by Thomas Bishop (2020, University of Massachusetts Press). This one was, naturally, more history than preparations. Though it did thoroughly cover the Quixotic attempt at shelters in the early Cold War. It is part of series covering various topics from that era.

ColdWar2.jpg

Hollywood's Cold War, by Tony Shaw (2007, University of Massachusetts Press). This text is in the same series as the aforementioned. The book presents a fascinating study of American (and lesser extent allied) cinema during the Cold War. And, yes, as the cover implies, there is Red Dawn (1984) coverage.

Quiet Riot.jpg

Suburban Defense, by Don Shift. I really picked this one up on a lark as I don't live in the suburbs, nor have any interest in ever doing so. It is also independently published and from an author I never heard of. However, what little I've read so far, has been interesting. It was written by a police officer who, according to the text, has written a lot of fictional SHTF material as well.

Anywho, whatcha reading prep-wise circa 2023? Thanks for sharing!

Started a new series by Kyla Stone. Half way into book 1 of 7. It's about a solar flare I want to say. So far it's more reminiscent of the Brie Larson movie Room. The character it started with was held captive in a basement and due to the collapse has been able to escape. The plot thickens as she learns of the current state of the world as she begins new path.

I'm a voracious reader, but I constantly have to dig up and pour over multi-hundred page service and technical reference manuals (either in hardcopy form or PDF files from online) almost everyday for the myriad makes and models of equipment and other systems that I find myself working on these days, so I have become more of a "skimmer" rather than a "reader" to ferret out (on the fly mind you) the pertinent information I'm looking for…. LOL!

Good topic! I'm not doing a lot of reading on this anymore, but when I was, one of my favorite resources was the discount bookseller E.R. Hamilton (hamiltonbook.com). They offer a huge selection of books, mostly at a considerable discount from publication price, and a flat rate shipping fee of $4.00 per order regardless of weight.

Below are the results of a search on "survival." There are some books that are not related to prepping, but you will also find many references specifically related to various aspects of the subject.

Got a coupla things going.
Books:
  • Python Crash Course
  • Automate the Boring Stuff with Python
    ^^^ Need to extract pertinent information from about 60 meg of text files every month and load it into a DB. That's survival skill for the NOW. ^^^
  • Pathways to Bliss, Joseph Campbell
  • Lots of articles and stuff, revisiting my inorganic chemistry with regards to making primers and black powder
Online, started a few courses in language and programming.
Rather than read about it, built a generator transfer switch (manual) for when power goes out again and again. Just finished it this morning.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top